cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre being pulled from TeleSales on July 6

Journeyman

Pre being pulled from TeleSales on July 6

An internal document sent out to Sprint employees states they are pulling the Pre from Telesales and will only be available in Sprint corporate stores (and presumably BB, RS and WM too) due to "change in company direction".

Will? Sarah? What's up? Hopefully it's because Sprint is still having trouble keeping inventory levels up.

11 REPLIES 11
Journeyman

Re: Pre being pulled from TeleSales on July 6

This definitely is true...We got the notification on Thursday about this. It's really not a big deal but alot of customers are having to call in and get instructions on setting up the phone and not fully understanding how to work the phone so the in-store experience is almost a must for some lol!

Ashley

Sprint Customer Service Rep

Rumor >Instinct >Blackberry 8330 >HTC Touch Pro >PRE!!

Journeyman

Perhaps if Palm would have included a users manual instead of making it only available online people wouldn't have so much trouble learning the software.

Master

There's also the HELP option on the phone itself as well that lets you search and find just about everything if you look... A printed users manual is superfluous in the modern age, it just adds cost really. Between the interactive HELP card on the phone, Palm.com support, and Ready Now, there isn't a need for a printed manual. If you want a printed one, print out the PDF yourself.

Sorry, but I just don't see the point in printing out a big book to send with the phone when the majority of smartphone users don't bother to read them either because they don't need it, or because they think
they don't need it.

Journeyman

@halcyoncmdr wrote:
There's also the HELP option on the phone itself as well that lets you search and find just about everything if you look... A printed users manual is superfluous in the modern age, it just adds cost really. Between the interactive HELP card on the phone, Palm.com support, and Ready Now, there isn't a need for a printed manual. If you want a printed one, print out the PDF yourself.

Sorry, but I just don't see the point in printing out a big book to send with the phone when the majority of smartphone users don't bother to read them either because they don't need it, or because they think they don't need it.

I may be in the minority, but I don't agree with that at all. With every phone I've owned one of the first things I did was read the manual cover to cover. Maybe I'm showing my age, but a PC will never replace the comfort and convenience of a well written physical book.

And printing the pdf is just a ridiculous suggestion, especially coming from a Sprint employee. I know it says in your sig that your posts are your personal opinion and not Sprint's, but that shouldn't absolve you from representing the company in a professional manner.

Journeyman

If it lowers the retail price by not having a manual in the box and only online I'll take it. There's also that crowd of people out there that just want you to show them how to get started and let em go. Luckily with this phone it doesn't restart all the time and make you think you've broken something cough*instinct*cough

Master

sweet greggo wrote:

@halcyoncmdr wrote:

Sorry, but I just don't see the point in printing out a big book to send with the phone when the majority of smartphone users don't bother to read them either because they don't need it, or because they think they don't need it.

I may be in the minority, but I don't agree with that at all. With every phone I've owned one of the first things I did was read the manual cover to cover. Maybe I'm showing my age, but a PC will never replace the comfort and convenience of a well written physical book.

And printing the pdf is just a ridiculous suggestion, especially coming from a Sprint employee. I know it says in your sig that your posts are your personal opinion and not Sprint's, but that shouldn't absolve you from representing the company in a professional manner.

Why is that a ridiculous suggestion? It is an option that one could take if they wanted a printed manual. Most people wouldn't do it because that would be a waste of time, paper, and money; so why should Palm do it when not everyone wants it, and it will raise manufacturing costs?

Take a look at the Pre box compared to the Instinct box size wise. There is a lot of waste with the Instinct packaging. The Pre on the other hand is going for a much leaner type of thing. Putting a printed manual in there would be a waste since the majority of users don't bother reading it, and the entire packaging design would have to have been larger. I see it on a daily basis. The packaging that devices come in has a ton of waste, it is getting better however. HTC and Palm however recently have much better designed boxes as far as waste goes. Just about every inch of space is used in some way.

Right now the big thing is going "green", so that means that a ton of people are looking for less waste, and the Pre packaging accomplishes that, as does not printing a manual that most people won't use. By utilizing Ready Now service you not only get your questions answered, but you are also shown physically how to do it, instead of still having to try and find out how on your own when instructions aren't clear (Like the Touch Pro hard reset, 3 different instructions in 3 different places, only one works and its not in the manual, way to go HTC). As for a physical book not being replaced, if that were entirely true then the Kindle and other e-book readers wouldn't be selling as well as they do, also probably due to the "green" push.

Journeyman

I have to disagree as well Kevin. There needs to be a printed manual, especially for a complicated device like the pre. Its not a toaster, and as expensive as it it u should get a nice manual.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I copied the manual to my computer then uploaded it to my Pre, so now I can access the printed manual on my phone.

Journeyman

<blockquote><hr />sweet greggo wrote: <br /><p> </p><p>I may be in the minority, but I don't agree with that at all. With every phone I've owned one of the first things I did was read the manual cover to cover. Maybe I'm showing my age, but a PC will never replace the comfort and convenience of a well written physical book.</p><p> </p><hr /></blockquote><p>You are in the minority. 99.9% of the folks I talk to 5 days a week have never even opened their manual. I often remind customers that the manual is a helpful tool for a lot of things but they say they lost the manual long ago, prefer to call in and get help or 'don't have time' to look at a manual. </p><p> </p><p>However, I am like you. I like to read the manuals for all electronic items I purchase so I know exactly what the features are on the device and know all the things I can do with the device. For troubleshooting a device, I will look in the manual or online for assistance. I just seem to think that the majority of people feel like they are in too much of a hurry to sit down and read something. Most of them prefer to call the company and ask questions. That's perfectly fine though...it gives me job security. :)</p>

Journeyman

@noshooz wrote:
I copied the manual to my computer then uploaded it to my Pre, so now I can access the printed manual on my phone.

I am doing the same today, Not sure why it was not pre (note the pun) loaded..

As for TeleSales.. They are overrated, I learned this the hard way when I bought the Instinct from them then found out about the shortage at release time.. I watched people at Best Buy purchasing and walking out the store as I fumed over waiting another couple weeks.

I bought my Pre at a repair authorized store, got it before many others plus the salesperson was good enough to assure me that this phone is "seriously in the beta stage" and voiced concern that I could be in for the same disappointment that the MR6 update caused.

I should note that I am pleased having "realistic expectations" concerning the Pre.. This is a stark contrast to the massive hype during the Instinct's ad campaign at its release.

Journeyman

@halcyoncmdr wrote:

Why is that a ridiculous suggestion? It is an option that one could take if they wanted a printed manual. Most people wouldn't do it because that would be a waste of time, paper, and money; so why should Palm do it when not everyone wants it, and it will raise manufacturing costs?
~Take a look at the Pre box compared to the Instinct box size wise. There is a lot of waste with the Instinct packaging. The Pre on the other hand is going for a much leaner type of thing. Putting a printed manual in there would be a waste since the majority of users don't bother reading it, and the entire packaging design would have to have been larger. I see it on a daily basis. The packaging that devices come in has a ton of waste, it is getting better however. HTC and Palm however recently have much better designed boxes as far as waste goes. Just about every inch of space is used in some way.

I was impressed by the packaging of both products but, smiled as I noticed the minimalistic theme and colors that match the robes in the "Flow" video advertisment.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat