cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre or Pixi? Or wait?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Pre or Pixi? Or wait?

I am trying to decide between the Pre and the Pixi. I am leaning toward the Pixi, but so far everyone is telling me to get a Pre. What appeals to me about the Pixi is that it isn't thick and bulky and it has a full QWERTY keyboard. I'm not sure how well I'd do with the touch keyboard. One thing that people tell me is that you can accidentally call someone with the Pixi when it's up against your face (when you're using it). Is there a keyboard lock or anything that can prevent that?

So, Pre or Pixi? Or is something better on the horizon? This will be my first foray into smartphones.

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the Pixi. There is a sensor on the Pixi that locks the screen when it is against your face. The Pixi doesn't have a touch keyboard. It is a great phone and like it. Just waiting for the 1.4 update. Get the Pixi.

Brent Richardson

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the Pre and i think it's great but i too have been wondering about the pixi.  All i can tell you is that the keyboard on the pre is easy to use once you get the hang of it, it has a sensor that turns the screen off when it's up against your face, it's easy to use and see the web when you turn it sideways, videos are simple to watch, you can download a bunch of apps.  I love this phone but if you want a smaller phone i suggest the pixi.  The pre slides out and therefore is easier to break, i've dropped mine a few times...lol.  Hope i was of some help

Highlighted
Master

Here is a link to a comparison, http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/27056/palm-pre-vs-palm-pixi The Pre is better, The pixie is a dumbed down version, The pixi has no wifi, lower camera megapixels, less powerful ram, a little less usable storage.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well i have a pre, and ill say its pretty good despite all the complaints on here. what you will find is that the pixi has a smaller screen and the same size keyboard, i have no trouble keeping my pre in my pocket all the time, and this was an issue with my last phone (and Instinkt) I use the WiFi all the time but my dorm and campus are fully WiFi everywhere so that helps. i do find i get a lot of perfect thumbprints however on the screen because of the way you have to slide it to make it open. not a big deal just wipe them off. personally though i would go for the Samsung Moment, my dad has that phone and loves it, i wish i had been patient enough to wait another month and get that instead, it runs Android which seems to have a little better support because of all the phones that it runs on. Palm Customer Support sucks frankly, so i wouldnt go through them for anything when your phone dies (not if, im on my second, and thats low for how long ive had it) go through a sprint store, they tend to be really helpful. or you can do as i did, go to best buy to get the phone, grab a 9.99/mo protection plan and when your phone dies, no questions asked they hand you a new one 😃 i hope this helps and that you enjoy whichever phone you decide to get 😃

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks everyone! You can keep the advice coming. I'm leaning towards the Pre, but there's still something about the Pixi that's capturing my interest. I don't have to decide for awhile though.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well for my experience on pixi..dont get it!! I first had to dowload the new software so I could change my ringer tone (only 12 choices), without that then it defaults to original ringer. Then it took 4 Palm and 3 Sprint technicians (took the last sprint tech to figure it out), why I could not or recieve texts. This was so much of a bother, imagine me with each one for about 45 to a hour and a half each.

And now my dialing pad locks out (3x) and I have to reboot the phone, the last one was this morning trying to call my family during the tsunami disaster in hawaii....not good.

Oh and I am returning the car charger, if it moves too much the connector will move and will not charge.

Your choice, but I wish I had my centro back....or I was about to move to the .....sorry guys....iphone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Forgot about the apps, when you have around 3-4 apps and you want to go to the web, it will say "too many cards" and you must throw away one. Well most of the time I have to throw away all, and even then it gives me..."too many cards"

Good luck....Oh and my friend doesn't like his Pre....LOL..not good

Highlighted
Journeyman

The Pre has a bigger screen.  When you are trying (with difficulty) to read a web page, screen size is everything.  If you plan to use your phone for the web you should definitely get the Pre.

Highlighted
Journeyman

interesting article levi. thank you

I thought the pixi had the same processor, oops

does anyone else wish they would have just designed the Pre like the Pixi by avoiding the slider? it seems feasible to me to have a 3.1in screen using the Pixi's design, you could probably even make the screen a bit bigger.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree about the keyboard. I just went to the Sprint store and played with the Pixi. I really like the keyboard a lot. and just the overall design of the Pixi too.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Pre!  Pre!  Pre!! 

Seriously...if you're going to use your phone for things like GPS or web browsing, the Pre screen size is everything.  The Pixi screen is just too small.  Add to it the camera, RAM and processor issues, and there is no comparison.  The Pixi is great for a teen who does nothing more than text, but for anything more serious the Pixi falls WAY short!  Add to that the fact that the latest webOS update for the Pre now includes VIDEO (finally!), and the Pre is just a wonderful phone.

Palm has slowly but surely been addressing every glitch and gripe I had since the Pre was introduced in June...webOS software updates ROCK!  I can't believe how much my phone has changed and been upgraded in the past 8 months!  The only complaint I have (that will never go away) is NO MEMORY EXPANSION.  8GB sounds good, but technology advances FAST, and 8GB will be a small amount and far below the industry standard very shortly.  Especially with video now on the phone, and the awesome MP3 player function, it's not hard to imagine filling up 8GB pretty quick.

Good luck with your decision!  Oh yeah...I disagree with the previous poster...I've had to contact Palm customer support twice, both times in the middle of the night since I'm a late nighter.  They were GREAT, had me up and running with just one call.  Wish I could say the same about Sprint,,,their reduced customer service hours do NOT fit my schedule, I miss their 24/7 support!  ARE YOU LISTENING, SPRINT?   🙂

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat