cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Pre Car Chargers

Highlighted
Journeyman

Problems with Pre Car Chargers

I am hearing lots of stories about how various car chargers work inconsistently with the Pre.

If you have one that charges the Pre CONSISTENTLY while using apps like Pandora & Sprint Nav simultaneously, please share. Thanks!

Ideally, I'd like to find a universal one that would allow me to charge other standard USB devices. But right now, I just need something that works!

Message Edited by sjamie on 06-23-2009 02:28 AM

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Problems with Pre Car Chargers


@sjamie wrote:

I am hearing lots of stories about how various car chargers work inconsistently with the Pre.

If you have one that charges the Pre CONSISTENTLY while using apps like Pandora & Sprint Nav simultaneously, please share. Thanks!

Ideally, I'd like to find a universal one that would allow me to charge other standard USB devices. But right now, I just need something that works!

Message Edited by sjamie on 06-23-2009 02:28 AM

Try here: http://www.daydeal.com/home.php?cat=4295

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Problems with Pre Car Chargers

hfa68, thanks for the reco; however, have you personally used any of these car chargers with the Pre? If so, does it work while multi-tasking? Which one specifically are you using?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Problems with Pre Car Chargers

Have any of you purchased the official "Palm Vehicle Power Charger" and does it actually charge your phone while using Sprint Nav and Pandora at the same time?

http://store.palm.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3457917

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Problems with Pre Car Chargers

Here's a thread about this from PreCentral.net

They claim that anything that supplies at least 1A of current will do fine, and they are collecting a list of chargers (some of them cheapies!) that supply this. Less than 1A will still charge your phone, just not quickly enough to overcome the drain from using it.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre-accessories/188184-1000ma-rating-true-solution-everyones-charg...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Problems with Pre Car Chargers

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Problems with Pre Car Chargers

I just got mine yesterday and hadnt totally tried out car charging with pandora running yet but mine worked just fine... i got mine from www.pocketsolutions.com. They have a set for the pre that comes with a car charger and home charger for 24.99 free shipping. I thought it was a great deal and it was here in 2 days! They have some pretty cool auto mounts on there too. Check it out

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Problems with Pre Car Chargers


@Depechemodegurl wrote:
I just got mine yesterday and hadnt totally tried out car charging with pandora running yet but mine worked just fine... i got mine from www.pocketsolutions.com. They have a set for the pre that comes with a car charger and home charger for 24.99 free shipping. I thought it was a great deal and it was here in 2 days! They have some pretty cool auto mounts on there too. Check it out

Please let us know exactly which model you got and if it actually charges while running Pandora and SprintNav simultaneously.

I hope it answers my prayers!

Message Edited by sjamie on 06-23-2009 04:59 PM

Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Problems with Pre Car Chargers

Palm Car ChargerI have the actual Palm car charger (got it at Best Buy since Sprint does NOT carry them). It is a 1A charger and depending on what Sprint Nav is doing either charges or at least prevents discharge of my Pre.

It is amazing to me how heavy a load the GPS function / Sprint Nav is on the Palm Pre.

On my Trusty Sanyo, I've used Sprint Nav five hours at a time on the battery (no charger connected), and still had many hours of standby left - or enough for a number of calls.

(I'll admit I have the extended battery on my 7050.)

Anyway, the Palm car charger puts out just barely enough to hold it's own when Sprint Nav is hungrilly sucking power.

On the Sanyo, running Sprint Nav and using 1xRTT data access, the i-Go car charge system I have used for all my other recent phones works fine, and also seems to have just barely enough grunt to power/charge the Palm Pre, but no guarantees...

That Pre is one heavy, heavy load, and hopefully there are some software changes that can reduce the battery load.

Oh! That's right! This was while my Pre was running 1.0.2 and I understand that 1.0.3 may have reduced some of the battery load by backing down the processor speed, among other changes.

I haven't use Sprint Nav on the Palm Pre since upgrading WebOS to 1.0.3.

Hope that helps. Basically all I can say is that the Palm Car Charger is "just enough" to do the job...

Message Edited by Tomas on 06-23-2009 11:41 PM

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Problems with Pre Car Chargers


@sjamie wrote:

@Depechemodegurl wrote:
I just got mine yesterday and hadnt totally tried out car charging with pandora running yet but mine worked just fine... i got mine from www.pocketsolutions.com. They have a set for the pre that comes with a car charger and home charger for 24.99 free shipping. I thought it was a great deal and it was here in 2 days! They have some pretty cool auto mounts on there too. Check it out

Please let us know exactly which model you got and if it actually charges while running Pandora and SprintNav simultaneously.

I hope it answers my prayers!

Message Edited by sjamie on 06-23-2009 04:59 PM

Dang, i tried it with Pandora and it charged but i didnt try the nav. I will try it later and get back with you

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Problems with Pre Car Chargers

I am eager to hear how it worked while running Pandora and SprintNav at the same time. If it continues to charge, I'll order a few of them right now!!!

Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Problems with Pre Car Chargers

OK, quick update on the Palm Car Charger runing the Palm Pre with both Sprint Navigation and Pandora running...

Started a short run from pharmacy back to home base at exactly 3:00PM with a 72% charge in the Pre.

Connected the Pre to the Palm Car Charger and started Pandora.

Charge at 73%

Immediately started Sprint Navigator, selected Drive To > Favorites > Home

Selected fastest route.

Followed the lady-in-the-box back home.

Pulled into carport at 3:20PM.

Checked battery charge - 67%

Conclusion, as the software and hardware are running now, the Palm Car Charger will neither charge the Pre battery nor keep it from discharging with both Sprint Navigator and Pandora running.

With just the Navigator running, the Palm Car Charger just about holds its own, and will sometimes keep the battery from discharging.

Palm needs to do some work on this.

(BTW, I was also running my Trusty Sanyo's Sprint Navigator during both the trip to and from the pharmacy. The Sanyo still shows 100% charge...)

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat