cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reception issues

Journeyman

Reception issues

I had the Palm Pre for about 2 weeks and the reception in buildings is terrible. I spent a lot of time in basements in commercial buildings. I am in St. Louis Mo. 63103. I had Nextel and sprint phones in the past and this is the worst reception I ever had. Is anyone else having problems? I have all the current updates and have roaming turned on.

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Reception issues

You're not going to get good service in the basement of a building from any provider, unless they have boosters or repeaters installed to help with the signal.

Highlighted
Journeyman

One of the guys I work with has AT&T and he has a lot better signal than I do. Another guy has Verizon and his isnt as good as the AT&T but its better than mine. A few of the contractors have Nextels cheaper phones and they have a signal. I think Im going to take it back.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am also having severe reception problems. My bars keep jumping on reception. I can set the phone down, watch them move from 5 down to 2 and back up, without touching the phone.

I am dropping more calls than I ever have, and missing, straight to voicemail in Good reception areas.

Other forums report this, my local store advocate's does the same.

Tech Support can find nothing wrong with phone. Possible antenna since other Sprint phones can set there and work when mine doesn't. I'm thinking its inherent in phone design, not individually.

Any one out there with same????????

These concerns need to be elevated whenever possible. This is a phone, must function as such then other things added.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm having the same problem. I'm experiencing more dropped calls than I did with my MotoQ, and I had difficulty getting a signal in a hotel, near a cell tower, at the window in St. Augustine Fl. This area shows up as a 3G area out of Jacksonville. What's up with that! I also was in a building with no bars, which I did not experience with my Moto. I travel extensively, often on the road sometimes in rural areas and I need a phone to work. I have had Sprint for years with no problems, it's gotta be the phone!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have to chime in here. I am in a basement with three other users. I used to have verizon and one of the coworkers still has verizon. Coverage "poor".I was using a variety of phones and coworker using a blackberry.The third coworker with a AT&T blackberryalso has poor reception.He used to be the one with thepoorest reception in the office until I got the PRE. WhenI switched to Sprint with a Palm 755p theCoverage was"fair". I recently switched to a blackberry and coverage was "good". In fact I had better reception than the other two in the office did and they both had blackberry phones.

I now experience the same symptoms that another poster described wherein the signal fluctuates dramatically up and down. I would term this phone as "poor" in this setting.

Even outside in a variety of locations throughout the area I have missed calls and dropped calls due to poor reception.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Problem solved, I went to Verizon today and picked up a blackberry, have been using it in all my no signal locations and it works fine. Just got back from Sprint with a full refund for the pre and accessories, I tried customer service and all they could do was tell me they should be doing an upgrade that could fix the problem, Im glad I decided to try a new phone with new service. Good luck, dont wait too long, the main reason to have a phone is to be able to make calls.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Glad you found something that works for you!

Highlighted
Wizard

I am forwarding your issues on and will post if I hear anything back.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks Sarah for passing this on.

I see this as a learning experience here and although I don't intend to offend anyone Sprint has an opportunity here to refine it's customer service based on responses to consumers. Let me explain.

Customer says reception bad. He posts his experience and receives a reply with a generic response "all basements are bad." Those statements are not true and personal experience of your entire customer base will bear this out. Comparisons between carriers and other phones also bear out that each has different levels of performance depending on location, manufacturer specs, etc.

Instead of approaching a customers problem with a blanket statement or a negative response, instead turn that into an opportunity to find the root cause of the problem. Is it truly a weak signal area or is it a malfunctioning tower? Is it a bad phone or all of the other phones (same make and model) having trouble in that setting. Do other brands and models work without incident? If so, maybe it is an issue the mfr needs to address.

Instead, the original poster abandoned the product and the service and moved to another carrier. Chances are if he has multiple lines (which it sounds like he does) they will soon be lost too.

Please don't take this personally but when I read that response it slapped me in the face and if I would have been that customer I would have done the same thing. I work in a basement that absolutely sucks for phone service. See my post above for my personal experience. Cell phones can and do work in basement settings. The quality of the phone really shines in these environments and the first place I take my new phone to test it is to the basement. In my opinion the PRE failed this test. Other phones on Sprint service at my office do better than the Sprint. Sprint excels when compared to other carriers in this basement so by process of elimination I blame it on the phone.

Again, take anegative and make it an opportunity to take ownership of the problem and find a solution. That way everyone wins!

On edit: It was kindly pointed out to me that the basement comment was not made by a Sprint. Employee. My apologies Sprint for tagging you with that one. I have heard that comment before from a wireless provider (AT&T) which is why I became a verizon customer. Then I discovered better plans and pricing with Sprint and became a Sprint customer.

Message Edited by ksiceman on 07-02-2009 02:28 PM

Highlighted
Patron

its hit or miss. i have all three! nokia e71x on att,bb curve on vz and pre on sprint. its all hit or miss. Unbiased opinion: att has capacity issues in almost every city ive flown into(i fly)dropped calls left and right. hsdpa is practically non existent as far as coverage and reliability.they are ideal to have if you live in northern cal,wy,northern houston,wa,along parts of the coast. I love how hsdpa gives the ability to multi stream voice and data concurrently.they truly have the best phones. on VZ, you can notice how cdma delivers voice packets only when necesarry..meaning at times youll notice the voice fade slightly out.i wouldnt recommend it in long beach,san pedro, south beverly hills,coast lines,colorado,wy, seattle.over all as a company i think they run most efficiently from an operations stand point. they get things done fast. Sprint has dropped coverage in many areas along the western region of the US. their concentration has shifted into major cities and outsource coverage in areas outside of them (kinda smart).perfect along california coast until you reach northern cal where service isnt recommended just like vz isnt.As far as Data performance and reliability..i have to give it to sprint. att nor vz are as good as sprint anywhere in the U.S. from my experience using multiple devices. its just works in more places and its fast.

all in all...choose what works in 3 of 5 places youre most likely to be at.starting at home. its hit or miss. dont fall for it! i have all three and go everywhere

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree cj - I think it's a pretty level playing field as far as services go; att and verizon barely work at my home. I travel a lot and reception depends on where I am, but I've been with Sprint since it took over nextel. This is the worst of any phone I've had with them and I upgrade often. I'm being patient, because there are frequent software upgrades occurring with the PRe, so I'm just hopeful that one of them will help with reception issues on this phone. Thank you very much for passing this issue up. I feel sad that the other poster felt it necessary to give up and go to Verizon, and I especilly feel sad about the way he was responded to.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat