cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reception problems?

Journeyman

Re: Reception problems?

I switched from the Palm Centro (which had great reception . . . hardly ever a dropped call) to the Palm Pre and I have on average 10-15 dropped calls a day.  I am in the Westlake Village, CA area and experience HORRIBLE reception in my neighborhood.  I called customer service over the issue and they said that they can't guarentee coverage inside any building.  I walk outside my home and still have horrible reception.  When I am in my neighborhood the most bars I have is three.  I have to drive several blocks away to get full reception.  Customer service told me to take my phone back to the Sprint Store and have a technician look at it.  I went back to the store and was told that they don't have technicians on the premises (which customer service assured me this location did indeed have) and that the closest service center was in Encino . . . 30 minutes away!  The Spring store employee tried to sell me the reception booster for my home . . . but wouldn't guarantee better coverage.  I was also told that Sprint hadn't received ANY complaints regarding the reception of the PRE.  But . . . after reading this message board I now know otherwise!

Just curious . . . those of us having reception problems . . . do you use the touchstone charging vs. the regular charging?  The touchstone charging dock was sold out when I got my phone so I had a week without the magnetic back.  I didn't seem to have the reception problems that I have now . . . but then again . . . maybe I was distracted by having a new phone and didn't notice it as much.

Journeyman

I too have lots of problems with reception even though I'm in a city (Indianapolis). The signal often goes in and out.

and EVEN WORSE often unless have all my bars and the "EV" reception, the Pre won't let me online.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Journeyman

I do not have a touchstone.  Though I hope at some point to get one.

I really like this phone overall, but the reception and poor battery life need to be resolved (sooner rather than later). JMHO

Journeyman

Pre reception is horrible.  I have been a Sprint customer since 1995 and know my area very very well (San Diego, 92130).  My treo and centro had great reception.  Always.  I bought a Pre last week and got 0  to 1 bars and couldn't get internet at home.   This never happened with the Centro.   I returned the Pre and the replacement is just as bad.  Sprint and Palm, this is a serious issue and will seriously affect Pre sales once word starts to travel.  I love the phone, but would not recommend it until this is fixed. 

Journeyman

I am sadly comforted to know that everyone else is having the same issue. I have horrible reception on my Pre and never had that issue with any of my blackberry devices. Has anyone heard if there is an update for it yet?

Journeyman

I have been with Sprint for going on eight years now and I live in an area of a few blocks where although the coverage maps show having great to moderate coverage I have horrible to poor signal strength regardless of the type of handset I have used. Inside my home was even worse, even right outside my home was very poor with multiple dropped calls and often lacking the ability to connect at all.

I upgraded both of the Centros on my account to the Pre and I must say that there may be a small difference in signal strength with the Pre falling a little behind the Centro. But I have noticed a few things since I first acquired the Pre. Once I got past the concern over the indicator fluctuating greatly and often, I found that I wasn't getting as bad of a connection audio wise as I did with the Centro i.e. clearer calls overall, regardless of what the indicator showed, and not nearly as many dropped calls away from my home even in the small area around the neighborhood where the signal seems worst. Also at times when I first thought that I wasn't getting EvDO because it looked like it was grayed out, as soon as I started some type of activity that required data it lit right up and everything worked as it should.

I believe that some of my judgement in the beginning was partially derived from an inflated expectation that this fancy new handset must surely have better reception than my two year old beat up Centro, which by the way I thought had slightly worse reception than my previous handset Sanyo 8300. But now overall I feel like I have much better call quality over the previous handsets I have owned even though it seems the Pre's signal strength seems to be worse than that of other handsets.

Just my two cents!

Patron

Reception on the Pre is the worst phone I have bought from Sprint. Also checkout my other problems in the issues section. Look for " Are your Pre's doing this???"

And let me know if you have the same problems. I think I have found a major defect in the phones design.

Message was edited by: MAPScience

Journeyman

reception on this phone is horrible. On my old phone I can't even remember the last time I had a dropped call. I've had this phone for about a month now and I can't believe how many dropped calls I've had especially around my house. I never had a dropped call around my house. I'm very disappointed with this phone.

Journeyman

I bought my Pre in June and have the worst reception of any phone I have ever owned. I'm new to Sprint. Others in the area (68701) say their Sprint reception isn't bad, but they do not have the Pre.

Even with my Airave, the audio quality is poor, I have dropped calls and there are times when the phone does not ring (I have all data services shut off on the phone).  I had hoped that with the added expense of the Airave, I would get incredible quality and reception at least in my home, but that is far from the case.

I hope Sprint or Palm get this fixed soon.  I am waiting for that "magic" update that fixes this

Message was edited by: dickday

Message was edited by: dickday

Highlighted
Journeyman

I switched from the Palm Centro (which had great reception . . . hardly ever a dropped call) to the Palm Pre and I have on average 10-15 dropped calls a day.  I am in the Westlake Village, CA area and experience HORRIBLE reception in my neighborhood.  I called customer service over the issue and they said that they can't guarentee coverage inside any building.  I walk outside my home and still have horrible reception.  When I am in my neighborhood the most bars I have is three.  I have to drive several blocks away to get full reception.  Customer service told me to take my phone back to the Sprint Store and have a technician look at it.  I went back to the store and was told that they don't have technicians on the premises (which customer service assured me this location did indeed have) and that the closest service center was in Encino . . . 30 minutes away!  The Spring store employee tried to sell me the reception booster for my home . . . but wouldn't guarantee better coverage.  I was also told that Sprint hadn't received ANY complaints regarding the reception of the PRE.  But . . . after reading this message board I now know otherwise!

Just curious . . . those of us having reception problems . . . do you use the touchstone charging vs. the regular charging?  The touchstone charging dock was sold out when I got my phone so I had a week without the magnetic back.  I didn't seem to have the reception problems that I have now . . . but then again . . . maybe I was distracted by having a new phone and didn't notice it as much.

JuHa72, I too get crappy signal in the Ventura area.. I myself live in Thousand Oaks, and it's my belief that the majority of towers in Ventura County are overly congested.   No matter where I am my signal fluctuates like there's no tommorrow.. This was also the case with my old Blackberry Curve where the call reception fluctuated as well.

I also know for a fact that the cell towers in our county are congested because I can never break beyond 1000 kbps doing a speed test despite Sprint's network supporting EVDO Rev. A.   I dunno what to say...  The coverage in my area seems pretty strong (at least according to Sprint's coverage maps) but between using two different phones, the end result seems to be the same... The coverage in Thousand Oaks, Westlake, Simi Valley SUCKS...

Journeyman

I have been with Sprint for years too and I TOTALLY agree with you the Palm Pre is the worst phone I have ever encountered in my LIFE.... I would not suggest this phone to my worst enemy...honestly. The biggest mistake ever.

Journeyman

Zip code 60438 Torrence and Glenwood Lansing Road, not very far from the Sprint store and I do not get reception in my house and barely when I'm around my home area, this is horrible. Palm pre is nothing on reception..

Community News

Please help us to keep our Community a positive laughing and helpful innocent space for all members cool.
Be sure to read our Rules & Guidelines and if you have any concerns surprised just send a private sealed message to @Seawolf or @Em_Will_I_Am, and we'll check it out!