cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen in Sunlight - Pre vs Hero

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

Screen in Sunlight - Pre vs Hero

I've been fortunate enough (?) to be allowed to use both the Pre and Hero while troubleshooting things for the Sprint Community.  Yesterday was a rockin bright sunny day so I was working outside rather than camping at my cube.  No laptop I know of can hold up to the bright Kansas sun - the screens just wash right out, so I brought both the Pre and the Hero out to keep up on email and take a few notes while on a teleconference bridge call.

When I was in the shade, or shading the screen with my body, both phones worked quite well - the multitasking on the Pre made it easy to flip between the todo list, notes and the ongoing call.  But the real difference came about when I leaned back and let the sun shine on the phones.  Once the bright sun hit the screen of the Hero, you could barely see what was on the screen, let along use it with any degree of accuracy.  Not so on the Pre - the screen got easier to read when I held it directly in the sun!  I have no idea how Palm did that, but any color screen that is readable in direct sunlight is a big win for me.

This round: Pre wins it for outdoor usability!

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Master

Re: Screen in Sunlight - Pre vs Hero

I agree, I had an Instinct, Useless in the sun, The Pre is unbelievably clear. The Pre wins "Hands Down" for outdoor use. (I hope the EVO is as good)

Highlighted
Journeyman

I also agree.  The Pre is by far the best device I've ever had in that regard.  (including other phones, PDAs, laptops and my PSP)

Highlighted
Wizard

I think I mentioned in one of the EVO threads about the amoled screen that our service manager has on his Moment. He needs to find shade to read his screen while I can stand in direct Arizona sunlight and still use my Pre.

dd

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the info!  I lost my Sprint Palm Centro (original version) last week and am cosidering the Pre and the soon to be released HTC (6/4/2010 is announced release date.)  That info is very helpful!  My big Q is: can I use a stylus with HTC phones?  I decided against iPhone bc I "crayon-sized" accuracy (as achieved with a fingertip) is NOT what I want!  I want pinpoint accuracy.  Anybody know the answer to my stylus Q?  iPhone users that I know tell me they have gotten used to using their fingers, but I don't want to do that.  My buddy told me she can't use hers with gloves on ... not my idea of useful.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I can understand the Instinct leaving a bad taste in everyone's mouth...but it's true, the screen, like on most laptops, washes away in the sunlight.  The Instinct HD however can easily match the Pre...here's what's weird though.  If you have auto-brightness turned off and the brightness level set at 5, it's nice and bright, but with auto-brightness turned on, it goes beyond 5 and adjust so your eyes don't have to, especially in direct sunlight....I thought that was pretty cool...

Highlighted
Journeyman

No you cannot use a stylus with a Hero. Other than this and that I haven't figured out how to use tones other than the factory installed ones for email and text notifications, I love the hero.

The only reason I didn't get the Moment was the charger/accessory port.

I think paying $10 extra a month for the EVO is obsurd.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hero horribly fails in the auto-sunlight-adjust arena.  When Hero is set to automatically adjust the screen brightness, it is too dark in the daylight, too dark at night, basically too dark all the time, even though it is adjusting. It is great to have auto-adjust, but no way to adjust what it is adjusting !!  So the feature is virtually useless and you must intead choose a reasonable nighttime brightness and not be able to read during the day, or choose a reasonable daytime fixed brightness and blind yourself at night while the phone lights up the inside of your car like a floodlight.

The Hero is a great phone, but it has tons of bugs and stupid quirks that convinces me that no one developing features on this phone, ever talked to anyone else. there are some dumb things that would have 100% been caught and corrected if ONE person were to review anyone else's development work. Yes, these quirks are that dumb.  Like the one about call waiting, where 'end call' always ends BOTH calls. How dumb is that? Who ever wants to end both calls at the same time? And even if they did, just release one and then the other. Easy.  But to program the 'end call' button to dump both calls is rediculous.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat