cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So Far So Good

Journeyman

So Far So Good

For the record . . . and because we forget it's much easier to complain than praise . . . I want everyone (including Palm and Sprint) to know that I really love this phone despite any current glitches or woulda/coulda/shoulda functionality and preferences.

It's nice to finally have a comparable phone with a less proprietary company on the market. I feel like there will be a lot of potential here with the WebOS and app development. Initially I had been concerned about there not being an Alarm app on the phone, but figured someone would make one available soon and didn't fuss . . .sure enough, on the update 2 days after release, an Alarm app popped up on my launcher and the problem was fixed. I had also had some glitches in a couple apps that seemed to get fixed from that same update. . . the great news is that there's a lot of potential to fix current problems and provide specific funtions that users want through updates and developing new apps. . . it seems like the phone can only get better from here.

I'm also very tired of the winner/loser mentality that the media has created: the idea that Palm or Apple can only succeed if the other fails. Competition can only help everyone improve their products. I've never liked the iProducts personally, but I know I have friends who won't use anything else. So there's obviously a market for both sides . . . and this competition seems to have already helped Apple users by dropping the price of the current iPhone (not that it compares to the Pre) Smiley Happy . . . all I'm trying to say is that you can appreciate the ingenuity of one product without dismissing the other. Us Pre-ers probably wouldn't have such a good product if Apple hadn't set a high bar in the first place.

5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

Re: So Far So Good

Journeyman

@denim0503 wrote:

For the record . . . and because we forget it's much easier to complain than praise . . . I want everyone (including Palm and Sprint) to know that I really love this phone despite any current glitches or woulda/coulda/shoulda functionality and preferences.

It's nice to finally have a comparable phone with a less proprietary company on the market. I feel like there will be a lot of potential here with the WebOS and app development. Initially I had been concerned about there not being an Alarm app on the phone, but figured someone would make one available soon and didn't fuss . . .sure enough, on the update 2 days after release, an Alarm app popped up on my launcher and the problem was fixed. I had also had some glitches in a couple apps that seemed to get fixed from that same update. . . the great news is that there's a lot of potential to fix current problems and provide specific funtions that users want through updates and developing new apps. . . it seems like the phone can only get better from here.

I'm also very tired of the winner/loser mentality that the media has created: the idea that Palm or Apple can only succeed if the other fails. Competition can only help everyone improve their products. I've never liked the iProducts personally, but I know I have friends who won't use anything else. So there's obviously a market for both sides . . . and this competition seems to have already helped Apple users by dropping the price of the current iPhone (not that it compares to the Pre) . . . all I'm trying to say is that you can appreciate the ingenuity of one product without dismissing the other. Us Pre-ers probably wouldn't have such a good product if Apple hadn't set a high bar in the first place.</font></p><hr></blockquote><p></p><p>QFT. Your post, madam(?), was truly epic. Thank you for voicing my sentiments so concisely! However, the update was actually released Friday night/Saturday morning, as I ran the updater in the wee hours of the morning on Saturday and it was there waiting for me. Just a nitpick, don't mind it Smiley Wink</p>

Journeyman

Nitpick all you want Doktor. I am more than happy to be corrected, especially when your facts only support the idea that Palm is doing a good job. Smiley Happy I ran across the update on Monday and didn't realize I'd missed it over the weekend (considering how geeked out I've been on this, I can't believe I didn't find it sooner).

Thanks for the Kudos!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Love the post, Esther. I have to say that I am quite analytical in nature and sometimes can be very critical, but I am rather enjoying pre. I also have to say that my batterry seems tobe lasting longer and longer with each passing charge. (anyone else experiencing this.) Also some of my concerns earlier on with missinng features and lack of customization available are no longer concerns with me. Niether is the lack of apps at this point.With the base on open source software, and the number of talented programmers... There will be plenty of developments.

Someone actually got hold of the restore program for the pre last night and several pre users and other just all around amazing programmers, hackers and techmonkies have been poking and prodding it all night and making some interesting discoveries about webos without the SDK. While it takes some doing, a few users have already managed to tweak a few things, findlots of untapped potential that should be soonutilizedby Palm...A few of the things that have been requested orbeen accused ofbeing ommitted are actual in the pre already and just need to be activated....as well as some surprises. Those interested(technically inclined or otherwise)can visit the precentral.net forums and check out the webos development thread. If you do and can read between the lines of thediscussion andhard code, itsnot hardto see that future is looking brighter and brighter for the pre.

-J

Journeyman

I have noticed that my battery is doing a lot better. I think half my battle was that I didn't want to put it down until I had downloaded every app and tried every setting. . . now that I'm more used to it, I obviously can let it sit stand-by for a little while. Smiley Happy

I'm glad to know there's more room for improvement than meets the eye, but I'm not too surprised. Palm couldn't really expect to make a come-back without having a few aces up their sleeves to keep the wow factor high.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat