cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tom's Journey Through Prelandia

Journeyman

Re: Tom's Journey Through Prelandia

<blockquote><hr>Tomas wrote:<br><br>Speaking of Palm Pre problems, with any high tech device this new, the presence of problems is to be expected. The presence of problems isn't really, uh, a problem. What will make or break this sort of device in the market is not the small problems that show up shortly after introduction of a new device with a new operating systems and new applications, but how the company responds to those problems.<br><br>With the easy availability of Over The Air (OTA) updates to the device, I'm hoping that minor maintenance updates appear on a regular basis, fixing little problems as the fixes are available.<br><br>We shall see. :)<br><br>More later...<hr></blockquote><p></p><p>My only concern is the Instinct also has OTA updates availability but many of the items we have requested since the beginning haven't been implemented yet 1 year later. Hopefully, Palm will take the Pre seriously and send timely updates/upgrades. It truly has the potential to be a PHENOMENAL phone!</p>

Wizard

Yes, the Instinct is an example of how not to respond to problems. They won't just go away if they are ignored.

I am hoping that Palm does a better job of problem handling.

Wandering around with the Palm Pre, I've had opportunity to show it to a number of people. After I show them a few of the things it can do, they invariable ask if they can handle it. What has amazed me the most is that almost invariably the thing that they like the best is the "flick away" motion to close any application. Once I show them that, they usually open several applications just so they can close them by flicking the application's card away. For some reason that seems to have been not only a logical, intuitive action, it somehow seems to connect with the user on a very basic level.

When I was at a Radio Shack, looking for a USB-USB cable, one of the young ladies there asked what it was for. I told her it was for a Palm Pre. She asked if I actually had one and was excited when I said yes, as her store hadn't gotten any yet.

I showed her some of the features and let her play with it. When it came to closing an application she asked how to get rid of it. I told her to just flick it's card off the top of the screen. She did, giggled, opened and closed several apps in a row, then called one of other gals over "You gotta see this! Look at this! See? I don't want this one any more - just flick it away! Grand Flicking Gesture I have to get me one of these!"

More later...
Message Edited by Tomas on 06-15-2009 09:00 PM

Journeyman

LOL! It's all about the simplest things in life! If we can get all of the bugs worked out without sacrificing the cool stuff, almost everyone is going to want one of these things.

Patron

Tom... I am really enjoying this review. I really want to know more about the battery life so the current test is perfect for what I am wanting.

I was a horrified Instinct defender for the first 6 months or so I owned it. After a certain amount of deaf ears I went and traded my mint condition Instinct for a dropped, scratched, horrible sticker goop on the back cover, Blackberry 8330 Curve. I still feel he got the worst end of that trade.

Needless to say I am watching this release closer than that last fiasco. Please keep up the good work. Your review will influence when/if I make this upgrade, considering I have a full upgrade discount.

Journeyman

@Doktor Jones wrote:
I'm liking your little chronicle here. One note, about the screen covers... when I got my Pre a week ago (as of 6PM this coming evening - wow has it been a week already?) I asked about screen protectors, and the store rep happily pointed me to the universal protectors. While I was able to get creative with a pair of scissors, it still took me two tries to come up with a shape that would fit the Pre and cover all the important surface area, while not blocking the mic or speaker, and not go over the center button. Also, I wasn't able to go all the way around the device, and had to stick to the mostly-flat areas, as the screen protectors are not designed to fit a contoured surface. Sprint should definitely carry custom screen protectors for the Pre that are contoured and pre-cut (no pun intended) to leave holes in all the right places for maximum protection.

If you've managed to keep the original Screen protector that came with the phone, you could use it as a template to cut out one of the universal screen protectors. It worked ok, more trouble than it was worth.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Awesome review!

very entertaining read

Wizard

I had the same thing happen when I asked about screen protectors at the Sprint corporate store, Radio Shack, and Best Buy locally: I was directed to the universal screen protectors. Considering that my cutting them to fit the Palm Pre, especially around the physical button on the Pre's face, would likely end up with something that fit like socks on a rooster, I passed.

There IS actually an invisibleSHIELD by ZAGG kiosk at the same local mall, so I went to that kiosk to inquire. They originally had 24 Palm Pre shields (12 front only, 12 full wrap), but in the 8 days since it's introduction they had installed all of the front protectors and only had 4 of the complete wraps left.

I was reluctant to cover the specially coated Touchstone back of my Pre, so once again left disappointed with no protection on the screen.

I'm hoping that they get a batch of new ones in soon... For right now I'm being as careful as I possibly can be with the screen.

As I believe I mentioned, I have the very same technology installed on the front of my Scion xB box to protect Vanilla's nose from gravel, sand and bugs (Vanilla does end up on display at car shows...), and the vehicle's covered areas are unmarked after nearly five years. During those five years I KNOW that the front has been pelted with all sorts of things: I'm on my third plastic license plate cover (two have shattered) and on my fourth windshield...

Wizard

Just for a laugh I called my local Best Buy (remember, Best Buy in Washington state does not sell Sprint phones or plans) to see if they had the ZAGG invisibleSHIELD for the Palm Pre. Yes they did, in two different versions.

Palm Pre with ZAGG invisibleSHIELDI figured I'd get the cheaper of the two, just covering the screen side of the Pre, but found that the screen protection version is just that: it covers the screen area only, and not the swipe area below the screen.

Journeyman

Funny, I was going to post today about how WELL I can see the Pre outdoors, esp compared to the Instinct. The main reason the Instinct is so hard to see is because it has an unchangeable black background. I suppose it looked fine in the middle of a code farm, but to people that actually go outside the screen is darn near useless. Letting someone test the phone before release would have found this out pretty quick.

The bright white background on your Sanyo helps the contrast. Try bumping the brightness up on your Pre outdoors, it helps a little. I haven't heard any how customizable the Pre's interface will be. I'm hoping we will be able to have skins/themes. A high contrast theme would be useful for sure.

Message Edited by sweet greggo on 06-17-2009 03:07 PM

Journeyman

I too thought the Pre looked good outside, granted probably not as good as one of my older Nextel phones when compared side by side or even the Curve, but it still looked good to me.

Wizard

Relax, guys, the Palm Pre probably does look "pretty good" outside, and I even suspect it looks a lot better than an Instinct (I don't want to get into THAT discussion), but to these eyes, over six decades old, I could definitely do with more contrast for improved visibility on the basic text pages.

Journeyman

Yes, that's the problem! If there were a way to tell the server to keep the messages received by the Pre marked "unread", I believe that would solve the problem. Or maybe there is a setting on the Pre (which I have not found) to do this.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat