cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tom's Journey Through Prelandia

Highlighted
Patron

Re: Tom's Journey Through Prelandia

I enjoyed the Bolt Browser alot more than I did the Opera Mini. Some forums I frequented Opera was unable to post on but the Bolt was able to.

Downside as mentioned before is the downloading.

Highlighted
Wizard

Have relatives from out of state visiting right now, and have spent all day with them, so not much new to add other than to note that in the one month that I have had the Pal Pre I have used 7.7GB of data...

(It strikes me that this beast can really slam the network with data use - and that this amount of data use - without "Phone-As-Modem" - easily exceeds Sprint's 5.0GB data cap with just a bare SmartPhone.)

More later...

Highlighted
Wizard

Finally have a bit of a change to breathe this morning,been a hectic and totally unexpected couple of days.<br><br>Started, uh, Tuesday evening just as we were finishing dinner and someone started banging on the door. It was family from Oregon that had just decided to pole into their van and head up here with no warning or advance notice. They had no place to stay planned, so I whipped out the Palm Pre and used location services (Sprint Navigator) to determine which motels were closest to where they wanted to stay, verified that they had a room available, then piled into my Scion xB to guide them over to that location to check in.<br><br>Next morning we all met up and I drove their van with all of us in it (they aren't used to the kind of traffic we have here in the Puget Sound I-5 corridor, they are used to a much more bucolic pace...) to various places they wanted to go.<br><br>One of the places we ended up at was one of the regional malls, where we had lunch and afterward split in four different directions for some quick shopping. Since I really didn't have anything I'd planned to buy, I just cruised the cellular kiosks that seem to line most malls these days. I believe I stopped at Verizon, T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&amp;T, AT&amp;T, T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon, Sprint, and Verizon...<br><br>At one of the independent Sprint kiosks (the corporate store is about 1 1/2 miles from the mall...) there were two ladies handling a Palm Pre that didn't appear to work and asking lots of questions of the guy who didn't know the answers behind the counter. I pulled out my Pre and answered the querstion they'd just asked, demoed the Pre for them, and answered a bunch more questions. Even took their picture to show them the speed and quality. They were buying a Pre as I moved on.<br><br>Most of the cellular kiosks seemed even more aggressive than usual, and if a person so much as looked at them in passing would try to sell something. I ended up demoing the Palm Pre to kiosk personnel selling other carriers (they always ask "Who do you have service with now? What kind of phone?) more than anything else - one didn't want to give it back (T-Mobile guy).<br><br>By the end of the day the poor Pre was down to 11% charge. It really needs a LOT more battery.<br><br>Yesterday I again was the driver and we went to some places that I hadn't been to in 52 years... I was honestly unsure how to get to one, and used Sprint Navigation to guide us there (dropped me from 100% charge to 47% charge in maybe 25 minutes...) Did a few quick checks for places to eat, recieved a few text's and made a couple of phone calls, and ended up at 28% charge by the end of the day.<br><br>I will say the Pre worked flawlessly the last couple of days, and certainly impressed some folks, but the battery life - or really more tha lack of it - left me even more convinced that I would not be happy with a Pre as my only device (you see, all through this I also carried my trusty Sanyo 7050 should I need to get serious with heavy use, knowing that the Sanyo would likely outlast MY endurance with it's 8 hour talk time or 5 hour navigation, etc.).<br><br>Now, after a month with the Palm Pre, I really like WebOS, I like the touch display, I enjoy the speed and versatility, but I don't like the keyboard, and the battery life is a poor joke. The Pre also still feels just too delicate. :(<br><br>More later...<br><br><br>

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey Tomas. Like many others have said, thanks so much for this review. I am very interested in the Pre. I've read a lot about it and so far am impressed. The most valuable information for me comes from those who have actually used the phone and give an honest review. I have a little time left before I'm eligible for an upgrade. Hopefully by then some of the "bugs" you have identified will be resolved. I look forward to your continued review. Thanks again.

Highlighted
Wizard

<p>Well, it has been a few days since I last told you folks how I was getting along with the Palm Pre I've been using and getting used to.<br><br>I find myself using some of the "SmartPhone" features a lot more than I expected to. I'm letting this take it's natural course, neither trying to use it a lot nor trying to not use it - I'm just using it when it seems "natural or useful" to do so.<br><br>First month the use was rather "over the top" because I was learning and trying out every possible variation of what I could do with this level of machine. I was actually impressed that in one month of hard use even I, a retired non-SpartPhone person, could easily exceed the 5GB soft cap that Sprint has put on data use.<br><br>This month, I'm doing much better on data use by not using it at any and every opportunity. I'm also using it a lot more on WiFi connections instead of via Sprint's wireless data network.<br><br>Oh! Speaking of Sprint's wireless data network, the recent nationwide testing of the top three US wireless networks by PC World agrees with my own experience in my home area...</p><blockquote><hr><span class="ccbnTxt">The PC World tests took place in March and April this year in 13 major<br>markets across the country. In each location, testers measured download<br>speed, upload speed and reliability. In Seattle, Sprint connected 100<br>percent of the time while Verizon and AT&amp;T connected 86 percent and 82<br>percent of the time, respectively. Sprints 3G download speeds were also<br>tops in Seattle, clocking in at 1005 kbps. In every market tested,<br>Sprint bested AT&amp;T for reliability.</span><hr></blockquote><p>In talking with friends who have an assortment of different phones on a wide variety of plans and services, and in actual side-by-side comparisons of performance, Sprint burns the others right down to their socks as far as network availability.</p><p></p><p>Good job, Sprint!</p><p></p><p>Anyway, back to the Palm Pre.</p><p></p><p>I've been using the Pre for a fair amount of site administration and email, and even for web browsing or instant information lookup when convienient. The ability to just reach into the belt carrier for a device that can almost instantly find data on almost any subject is powerful. Actually, I can see it being very habit forming.</p><p></p><p>As a retired engineer I'm the type of person who was used to having thousands of dollars worth of reference materials in my office that I could turn to instantly to answer questions. When I was running my own company, one of the best paying parts of it was finding and compiling data into usable form for others. (Knowing how to search is as important as knowing where to search, and it is amazing how bad most people are at searching data.) :D</p><p></p><p>There are still some problems with the Pre, though. :(</p><p></p><p>Most obvious one is power use. A processor this powerful in this compact a package sucks a LOT of power and generates a LOT of heat when pushed. One can flatten the battery in just a few hours with heavy use, and there is no heavy duty battery available yet for the Pre.</p><p></p><p>An additional power problem is the inability of Palm's car charger to properly charge the Pre when it is in use. For one thing, it makes actually using Sprint Navigation for any extended period an impossibility, even when connected to the car charger: The Pre gets incredibly hot and the battery discharges even with the charger giving it's best efforts. There is obviously something wrong with either the Pre or the charger, and from a large number of tests it appears the problem is in the Pre...</p><p></p><p>Speaking of Sprint Navigation, and in turn GPS, there are problems with the Pre in that realm.</p><p></p><p>There have been numerous reports of Sprint Navigation on the Palm Pre not being able to determine it's location even with more than adequate skyview and satellite signal.</p><p></p><p>For myself, when the Pre complains of not being able to determine it's location via satellite, my first response is to whip out my trusty Sanyo DumbPhone. I turn on Sprint Navigation in the Sanyo and so far EVERY TIME when sitting right next to the Palm Pre that can't find itself, the Sanyo locates itself without any problems (and displays a strong satellite signal).</p><p></p><p>There have been a number of things tried to eliminate this problem, including keeping the GPS and Location Services off unless actually being used, turning the GPS off then back on, Attempting to force a GPS test location using ##477#, soft resetting the Pre, multiple restarts of Sprint Navigation, Location Services, GPS, and even multiple power off - power on cycles of the Pre. Today, NONE of those worked and the GPS functions of the Pre were totally unusable.</p><p></p><p>After all of that, I fired up the old trusty Sanyo and within seconds was on my way with Sprint Navigation (and satellite reception showing three of four bars) using my DumbPhone.</p><p></p><p>Aside from Sprint Navigation sucking the life out of the Pre battery, there are obviously other serious problems that need to be taken care of.</p><p></p><p>At this point, I'm recommending that folks wait until some of the identified problems with the Pre are corrected before they buy a Pre. The Pre has great potential, but until the problems are fixed (or at least acknowledged and confirmed as being worked on) I cannot recommend it for anyone who is expecting a device at this level of sophistication to at least work correctly.</p><p></p><p>Palm, Sprint, the ball is in your court. A number of problems have been presented to you and confirmed by a number of people. Those problems need to be acknowledged and some means for the owners of these devices to track the progress toward a fix needs to be established for each recognized problem.</p><p></p><p>Either that, or people should wait until there is proof the problems have been fixed before buying a Pre.</p><p></p><p>Sorry! :(</p><p></p><p>More later...</p><p></p><p></p><blockquote><p></p></blockquote>

Highlighted
Wizard

Sorry, folks, but in reading through this thread about my three month extended review project of the Palm Pre I'm finding many of the pictures and massive amounts of text missing from the posts, both mine and others.

Some parts of this thread no longer seem to make sense, even to me.

I've emailed the folks responsible for the move and correcting any problems, but I honestly don't hold out that much hope of their being able to fix things.

IF they are unable to restore this thread to some semblence of order and rationality, I believe I will delete it rather than leave what is left of my month and a half of effort so far.

Take care,

Tom

Journeyman

Hang in there Tom, let us take a look and see what we can find before you remove such a popular thread.  I personally have enjoyed reading each post so let us take a look first.

Lon

Director sprint.com

Online Customer Engagement

Highlighted
Wizard

Still using and enjoying the Palm Pre, but I am finding it annoying that NONE of my current wired headsets with boom mike have the larger 3.5mm plug, they all, of course, have the smaller 2.5mm plug that fits probably 99.9% of the wireless phones out there that nve a common headphone jack.

I actually have no idea if  these industry standard headsets (my favorite is my older Plantronics) will work with the Pre, even with an adapter since the jack appears to be more wired up for a stereo headset or stereo headset (it works fine with one - or with external ampified comouter speakers), but that would seem to exclude the normal mic connection.

Anyway, Since Monday when my big site cutover to new software I've spent many hours on the Pre taling to the techs down in California as we get everything straightened out.

Sure would be nice if one of my standard wireless phone headsets worked, Would also be nice if Palm (or Sprint) provided a wiring diagram for that odd jack on the Pre.

(Yes, I know the Pre comes with stereo earpieces with a cord mounted microphone, and the question is probably "why don't you you use the earpieces that come with the Pre?" First off they do not fit my ears comfortably at all, nor do they stay in. Additionally the cord mounted mic is very poor, and is much better at picking up random background noise than my voice. I really need a good, wired, noise-cancelling headset - Oh! Wait! I have several - they just don't fit.)

====

Still hoping someone can find the rest of the text and pictures that used to be in this thread.

More later....

Highlighted
Journeyman

While I feel your pain concerning the headphone jack,  almost all the newer smart phones are using the 3.5 mm plug.  In fact all the Blackberry 83xx series and later, with the exception of Nextels 8350i, uses 3.5.  Same goes for the Treo, HTC series, and of course the Iphone.

Your reason for wanting a 2.5 is the exact some reason people want a 3.5.   A lot of folks spend alot of money on their Ipod/mp3 player earbuds and want to be able to use them with their phone and computer too....  the 3.5 is the perfect fit.     The 3.5 is fast becoming the standard, not the exception,  for all smartphones, and we are going to have to live with it...lol

Von

Highlighted
Wizard

While I feel your pain concerning the headphone jack,  almost all the newer smart phones are using the 3.5 mm plug.  In fact all the Blackberry 83xx series and later, with the exception of Nextels 8350i, uses 3.5.  Same goes for the Treo, HTC series, and of course the Iphone.
Your reason for wanting a 2.5 is the exact some reason people want a 3.5.   A lot of folks spend alot of money on their Ipod/mp3 player earbuds and want to be able to use them with their phone and computer too....  the 3.5 is the perfect fit.     The 3.5 is fast becoming the standard, not the exception,  for all smartphones, and we are going to have to live with it...lol

While I understand what you are saying, Von, there are still some folks who just might on rare occasions be using a SmartPhone as a, dare I say it, "phone."

For myelf, I have a couple of high quality headsets (not earbuds) with good, noise-canceling boom mics.

If I am going to be tied down on a two hour phonecall, using a computer terminal, jotting notes, drinking tea to keep from getting a too dry mouth and throat, I greatly prefer to use one of my good professional communication headsets.

I do not yet have a 2.5 to 3.5mm adapter so that I can use my 3 conductor 2.5mm headset in one of the  still in the minority 4 conductor jacks on one of these glorified MP3 players that also makes phone calls.

First off, I already know, with no doubt, that the three conductor 3.5mm plug on a set of powered computer speakers get both channels of audio playback from the Pre. That would mean that a standard 3 conductor 2.5 to 3.5mm adapter would NOT connect the boom mike in a standard communication headset to the mic input of the Pre, but instead to one of its stereo audio outputs.

I suspect there is an adapter that converts a standard three conductor 2.5mm plug to a FOUR conductor 3.5mm plug with the proper connections.

I haven't seen new communication headsets (not earbuds) with four conductor 3.5mm plugs to work with the supposed new "standard" communication jack. (Nor do I believe it is at all reasonable to spend another $100 to get a new headset because the newer phones no longer follow the 2.5mm standard.)

(BTW, this would be another great area for Sprint to make some points by first of all coming forward with the technical data showing the jack wiring on their devices, and secondly having adapters in stock that would allow existing pro grade communication headsets to be used with their new allegedly pro grade SmartPhones.)

It really isn't too much to ask.

Take care,

Tom

baw_bee.gif "You killed Buzzy! You b_______!"

Highlighted
Journeyman

Tomas wrote:

(BTW, this would be another great area for Sprint to make some points by first of all coming forward with the technical data showing the jack wiring on their devices, and secondly having adapters in stock that would allow existing pro grade communication headsets to be used with their new allegedly pro grade SmartPhones.)

It really isn't too much to ask.

Take care,

Tom

baw_bee.gif "You killed Buzzy! You b_______!"

That is an excellent idea.... I don't know if they will ever post the technical side of things,  but having an adapter in stock would be nice.

Von

Highlighted
Wizard

My son bought this to use with his Blackberry 8330. Works well with my Pre.

http://www.amazon.com/Blackberry-Stereo-Headset-Adaptor-HDW-15306-002/dp/B0010VLYJE

dd

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat