Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tom's Journey Through Prelandia

Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Tom's Journey Through Prelandia

sprintfan75 wrote:

Hi Tom,

Your reviews are very insightful. Have you tried any of the extended batteries for the Pre? I heard really good things about some of them.

Thanks for the compliment.

I haven't tried any of the extended batteries as I was still battling with myself on whether or not I was even going to keep the Pre after the extended review was over. Doubling the monthly cost for my Sprint service is something that I have to consider carefully, and as enjoyable and impressive as the Pre is, I just wasn't convinced it was "me."

Hmmmmmm... So long as I'm here, and able to post, I should make my closing post by writing a bit about the software for the Palm Pre - WebOS - and the applications.

First off, one must recognize that the operating system (WebOS) and the GUI (Graphical User Interface, Luna)) are both new, and when the Palm Pre was first released, were still Version 1.0.

Same applies to the majority of the small number of applications initially available, and even the application store (which is actually STILL a Beta pre-release version).

Keeping that in mind, the completeness and usability and lack of major bugs was utterly amazing.

(Let me go a little bit off track for a moment... I'm a UNIX user since the '70s and a Mac user since '86, and even today, after this many years with those systems, when a new version comes out I am NOT one of the early adopters - I wait for the first maintenance release before installing on any of my machines. As an example OS X 10.6.0 was recently released - I actually have the release DVD right here next to my MacBook, but I have not installed it yet. OS X 10.6.1 (the first maintenance release) came out yesterday, and if nothing bad shows up on the info sites, I will install 10.6 this weekend)

WebOS and the rest of the software did have minor bugs and missing elements when it first came out - it was, after all, v1.0...

RIght now the Pre is running WebOS v1.1, and 1.2 is waiting for some final tweaks before release, and will be available very soon.

V1.0 was very usable, and some very quick maintenance releases squashed the few really annoying bugs before v1.1 came out. V1.1 killed some more minor bugs and added a lot of smootheness and a bit of speed to the mix. V1.2 adds a whole lot of upgrades to various pieces of the system, and should be a very pleasant increase in the power and usability of the Pre.

One very nice thing about the Palm Pre (that I DID NOT expect to like at all!) is that it is one of the first devices to be designed from the ground up as "part of the cloud." It seamlessly goes from using what it has stored in itself to what is stored elsewhere, often without the user even being totally aware of it, because the user doesn't NEED to be aware of it.

Start typing something on the keyboard and it immediately starts looking at what it knows and has on hand that might match, and displays it. If I type, for example, "bri" it will show the people it knows who's name start with "Bri" (four "Brians" in this case), and offers to call or send an SMS to any of them with one tap. If that isn't what I want to do, it also offers a Google search, Wikipedia, etc.

If I start entering what could be a number, it compares what I enter with phone numbers it knows - and offers to search itself or the cloud for what I entered as either a number or as letters.

I've found myself in technical or even social conversations, needing a fact, and pulling out the Pre because it has access to the answers.

"Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information upon it."
-- Samuel Johnson

I've been standing in a parking lot with a group of friends when someone says they are hungry and everyone asks where we should eat...

Out comes the Pre, I fire up Sprint Nav and hit the directory to see what's nearby. I offer up some choices, one is selected, and I have the Pre call them with one tap to make a reservation for 12 in half an hour.

The times I've found simple, obvious solutions, thanks to the Pre, were too many to keep track of.

Even the multiple websites I manage I can manage in an emergency from the Pre, which leads us to this afternoon.

All day today my high-speed internet connection has been very flakey - at times dropping to less than dial-up speeds. Finally, this afternoon, internet and cable TV went down completely - even my neighbor's WiFi went nowhere (they are my backup).

I looked at the Palm Pre, made a decision, and the Pre is now running on my account.

In the end, the Palm Pre, and the services it offers so readily, caused me to make a decision I didn't think I was going to make.

I'm keeping the Pre.

Yes, folks, it is that good.

I hope you've all enjoyed what I've written over the past three months and I hope we've all learned something from this exercise. I know I did.

Take care,

Tom

P.S. I hate to bug you, Will, but could you or one of your people please try to restore the large number of posts and associated images that failed to make the transition to the new BAW? Some of this three month exercise no longer even makes sense as badly as it was chewed in the migration.

Thanks,

T

baw_bee.gif "They killed Buzzy!" "You b_______!"-

Highlighted
Journeyman

Excellent story with a surprise ending, bravo!

Just one question. Is the Pre going to replace your trusty Sanyo or continue to be a companion?

Highlighted
Wizard

ksixftfour wrote:

Excellent story with a surprise ending, bravo!

Just one question. Is the Pre going to replace your trusty Sanyo or continue to be a companion?

Good question!

My trusty Sanyo SCP-7050 will begin living in the glove box of my vehicle, to replace the Sanyo SCP-200 that has lived there for a couple years as the emergency backup phone.

It will also likely be the phone I transfer into service with an on-line ESN swap on MySprint if I'm going to be doing anything that is a little too upsetting for the Palm Pre's sensitive nature.

Tom

Highlighted
Wizard

kisxftfour said it better than I could have. I waited for every chapter. I even learned to use my Pre in different ways after reading your posts.

Thank you Tom for an outstanding presentation.  You performed a great service for both Sprint and Palm

I agree with kisxftfour the ending was certainly a surprise.

Denny

Highlighted
Wizard

Dennyd wrote:

kisxftfour said it better than I could have. I waited for every chapter. I even learned to use my Pre in different ways after reading your posts.

Thank you Tom for an outstanding presentation.  You performed a great service for both Sprint and Palm

I agree with kisxftfour the ending was certainly a surprise.

Denny

Honestly, I was just as surprised as anyone else at the ending, Denny.

I didn't really expect that.

Tom

Highlighted
Wizard

I can't wait to read the staff's reaction especially Lon.

Highlighted
Wizard

Well, now that I'm carrying the Palm Pre as my primary handset, I find I have real heartburn with the Palm "Leather Side Case.

It's a very nice looking, extremely well made, tightly fitted leather case that seems to protect the device rather nicely.

It also encloses the Pre so well that the ringer is very muffled, and if one does finally hear it, digging the Pre out of the case is often a problem.

So, the search was on for a new belt carrier for the Palm Pre.

I looked seriously at the "other" belt carrier that Sprint carried - the one with the clear plastic drop front - but it also covers the speaker/ringer, and the "latch" that holds the drop front in place doesn't. It is a very cheap looking, sloppily made belt case that is very boor at protecting the Pre because the front pops open and dumps the Pre on the floor at the slightest provocation. DO NOT GET.

I finally decided to try the Seidio Palm Pre Sprint Clip Holster.

pre_holster01.jpg pre_holster02.jpg

Sprint carries some Seidio Sprint Clip Holsters for other devices, and after looking at some at my local Sprint store and reading the Specs on the Seidio site, I ordered one from Amazon (I was ordering something else from them anyway).

Seidio makes two versions of the holster, one that leaves access to the headset jack, one that does not. Just for the versatility, Iordered the one with jack access.

It arrived this afternoon.

First off, it is well packaged and arrived with zero damage. Looking it over, and moving all the movable parts, it seems v

ery cleanly designed and well made, with more attention

to detail than I expected. The finish on it is supurb, and even feels good.

The Palm Pre is a very tight fit in the holder, and it will take some training of the user (me) to get putting the Pre back into the holster down to a smooth move. (It would honestly be easier if I didn't have the protecive InvisibleSHIELD on my Pre - even that thin protective layer is enough to make the Pre a tighter fit than planned. This holster is built to that tight a tolerance.)

Getting the device out of the holster is very quick and easy, even though there is little chance of it escaping on it's own. I carry the holster horizontally, and when I want the Pre I simply grasp it, flick the latch with my index finger, and there it is.

I recommend the Seidio holsters (they make another that is designed ofr a Pre in a protective case, to).

Tom

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat