cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tom's Journey Through Prelandia

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Tom's Journey Through Prelandia

WOW thanks Tom. This is very useful. I will now get the touch stone. Look forward to any more reviews you have.,

Thanks - Danielle

Highlighted
Wizard

Thank you, Danielle. I'm happy to know the folks are finding what I write here useful (I'm also answering questions and providing information about my experience with the Palm Pre on five other sites).

Other than the continuing battle to reduce power drain so the battery lasts longer (which I'm depending more now on Palm to do with software changes), I've run into very few problems with the Pre or its accessories myself.

The only continuing one that I'm currently waiting for an answer on from Palm is the incredibly poor performance of the Palm 3453WW Vehicle Charger. For some reason, even though it is rated to put out twice as much power as a "normal" USB jack (such as one on a computer), it charges LESS well. Hopefully Palm will address this problem soon, as there is an open topic on Palm's forums detailing this problems from many sources.

Most of the little odd problems seem to be addressable with software changes and additions, and software problems are expected in any totally new system.

More later...

Highlighted
Wizard

Well, I've set myself a new task: Learn more about the Palm Pre's competition.

I have friends who are Blackberry fiends and others who are iPhone freaks, and I'm trying to arrange a time when some of us can get together and do some serious playing with each others' SmartPhones.

In the mean time I'll be spending a little of my time at some of the "phone stores" in the area, learning a little more about the features and limitations of some of the products.

Software wise, I think the Pre and it's WebOS are a fantastic jump in a new direction, and am personally very pleased with what it can do now, as month old first gen product, and can see a tremendous future for it if handles correctly.

Mechanically, however, while the Pre feels very good in one's hand, I'm not sure this is the "best" choice for a serious entry into this very high stakes game.

The screen is VERY nice, the presence of a physical keyboard is a real plus, but the phone still feels very delicate to me. (Some of that, I'm sure, comes from my "other phone" being a MIL SPEC monster.

More later...

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Tomas wrote:

Mechanically, however, while the Pre feels very good in one's hand, I'm not sure this is the "best" choice for a serious entry into this very high stakes game.

The screen is VERY nice, the presence of a physical keyboard is a real plus, but the phone still feels very delicate to me. (Some of that, I'm sure, comes from my "other phone" being a MIL SPEC monster.

More later...

Tom, I couldn't agree more. I held an iphone 3GS today for the first time and puts the Pre to shame in "build quality". It's glass screen has a definite advantage over the Pre's plastic screen. Although I love my Pre, the iPhone simply looks "better" and "higher quality". The "largeness" of it's screen is beautiful but I do like the "portability" of the Pre. Both phones have clear trade-offs!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Tom, this thread is awesome! Congrats on a great job done!

I and many other Pre owners have had slider wobble issues. How are you doing with yours and how is the slider hardware holding up?

The stock gloss battery cover is the flimsiest plastic I have ever seen on anything that costs $500. I hated the 'give' of the panel while using the keyboard so I made a simple fix. I cut thin strips of Post-It notes, using the sticky end of it, and placed it along the bottom and side edges of the panel. It made it a bit more snug to snap into place, but the the phone feels solid while typing. The fix is cheap but makes the unit feel rich again.

Now if only the slider was snug and didnt jump its tracks and allowed to twist I would be giving my old Instinct away. However, I am in a holding pattern to see if the latest batches my Sprint store receives does not have this build defect. If not, the Pre is going back and I will hold on to the Instinct until the Pre's get fixed or another WebOS device comes out.

Oh, and in looking at some pics and having looked closely at my phone, the issue is not so muchwith the slider mechanism itself, but the VERY SLOPPY fit of the two plastic halves of the phone.

Highlighted
Wizard

<blockquote><hr>spl1011 wrote:<br><p>Tom, this thread is awesome! Congrats on a great job done!</p><p></p><p>I and many other Pre owners have had slider wobble issues. How are you doing with yours and how is the slider hardware holding up?</p><p></p><p>The stock gloss battery cover is the flimsiest plastic I have ever seen on anything that costs $500. I hated the 'give' of the panel while using the keyboard so I made a simple fix. I cut thin strips of Post-It notes, using the sticky end of it, and placed it along the bottom and side edges of the panel. It made it a bit more snug to snap into place, but the the phone feels solid while typing. The fix is cheap but makes the unit feel rich again.</p><p></p><p>Now if only the slider was snug and didnt jump its tracks and allowed to twist I would be giving my old Instinct away. However, I am in a holding pattern to see if the latest batches my Sprint store receives does not have this build defect. If not, the Pre is going back and I will hold on to the Instinct until the Pre's get fixed or another WebOS device comes out.</p><p>Oh, and in looking at some pics and having looked closely at my phone, the issue is not so muchwith the slider mechanism itself, but the VERY SLOPPY fit of the two plastic halves of the phone.</p><hr></blockquote><br><br>Interestingly, the two halves of my Palm Pre case actually fit rather snugly - I would NOT be able to slip a business card between them at all. The slide mechanism on this one is nearly perfect, with very little slop and certainly none of the "Oreo Twist" some folks are complaining of.<br><br>The normal shiny back cover was is a little thin, but I use the Touchstone back which is much more substantial.<br><br>Overall, the Pre I have feels almost as though the mechanicals were hand matched and adjusted prior to leaving the factory. (This is a very early production model - built back in April.<br><br>I was looking at some of the numbers in the internal files, and so far in it's young life this particular Pre has been used a LOT!<br><br>Nearly 20,000 calls, 19GB of data received, and 5GB of data sent.<br><br>Right now I seem to have the battery usage down to a decent level by being very choosy in what I allow to run constantly.<br><br>Thanks to the ZAGG invisibleSHIELD, the face of the phone is scar free and shiny.<br><br>Overall, this particular unit may be right at the top of it's game right now, and is likely one of the best out there ... and I'm still very, very impressed with the potential of WebOS.<br><br>Thing is, I still feel as though I have to treat it like a delicate fine china tea cup instead of a melamine mug.<br><br>For a portable device expected to faithfully follow it's owner everywhere, that bothers me. :(<br><br>I believe a more rugged version with a larger battery, larger keyboard, and fewer delicate mechanics is what WebOS - and a larger market - is anxiously awaiting.<br><br>More later...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey Tom - any problems with the touch screen? I posted this out on the board. But I noticed occassionaly my touch screen won't work but everything else does. I took it to sprint and they said they did a software update yesterday but it did it again today. Right when I wanted to take a picture of my friend for her birthday Wouldn't work for 30 minutesl

Highlighted
Wizard

Well, I played with my Palm Pre along side a Blackberry 8330 Curve, an HTC Touch Pro, and an HTC Android G1

The best in several areas were pretty easy for me to discern, at least so far as MY needs are concerned.

First off, let me say what I was NOT able to do.

I was not able to directly compare audio quality nor email, mostly due to provisioning problems of the display units.

So, here we go.

First thing one notices is the "look" of the unit. Here, the Pre has a very smooth, svelte look, the Touch Pro is a bit more fancy and glittery, the Curve is very business-like with prominent keyboard, and the G1 sort of "industrial" with nice straight and somewhat severe lines. Beyond that, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I would be happy with any of the devices.

Next is the "feel" of the unit. Both looks and feel are something that don't even require turning the units on, and are just inherent to the beasts.

The Pre is sensual. It has a smooth rounded shape that feels very nice, but a bit fragile. The slider mechanism on mine feels good, but again also feels somewhat delicate.

The Touch Pro feels very much like a common consumer product, but the very decent slide opens to reveal a quite nice keyboard.

The Curve has probably the most solid feel of them all, with no extraneous moving parts - everything is fixed solidly in position. Feels like it could survive a lot of abuse.

The G1 was quite interesting. Even opening the "slide" was "industrial," with the interesting pantograph arms swinging the screen clear of the substantial keyboard.

The keyboards ranked in the following order for me:

1 Touch Pro
2 G1
3 Curve
4 Pre

The Touch Pro had very nice size, a good feel, and arrow keys. The G1 was again a good size, and a good feel. The Curve was a much smaller keyboard, but with an excellent feel. The Pre keyboard was even smaller, and did not have a good feel.

Typing text on the three put the top three at very nearly the same speed, with the Pre falling behind because of its size and feel. One just cannot type as rapidly or as error free on the Pre keyboard.

The display comparison puts the Curve last because of it's smaller screen and fewer colors. The other three machines had very nice displays, with the Pre looking a bit better than the others.

Three of the units had touch screens. The touch on the Pre and G1 was nice and light, while the touch on the Touch Pro almost convinced me it wasn't really a touch screen, until I was really insistant, and it would pay attention.

The Curve uses a tiny, tiny track ball, which is some ways actually seems to work better than a touch screen, especially when it comes to precise positioning and selection.

A quick look at the level of control easily offered to the user quite surprisingly put the Curve on top! It was reasonably easy for me to find controls and operate them in a logical manner. I guess I'm so wed to the UNIX "list and browse" logic from using it for 40 years that the Curve just seemed "natural."

Right behind that was the G1, followed by the Pre, and bringing up the rear was the Touch Pro which just felt dense and obscure to me.

OK, let's try to actually DO something with these magic boxes now...in the next post.

Highlighted
Wizard

Before I make these little magic boxes work for a living, I should probably comment on how they are ranking so far just on look, feel, and access to tools.<br><br><strong>1 Curve<br>2 G1<br>3 Pre<br>4 Touch Pro</strong><br><br>That may not make any sense to anyone else, and may say more about me than it does about these devices, but that's my list and I'm sticking by it. :)<br><br>The <strong>Curve</strong> ranked best to me because <em>SO FAR</em> it was the easiest to control, quickest to use, most logical, and most solid feeling. It's feel said "quality."<br><br>I really enjoyed the large screen coupled with the large keyboard of the <strong>G1</strong>, and the openness and logic of the controls, the "toolset" of the device was nice.<br><br>The <strong>Pre</strong> had the best screen and the sexiest looks, but lost ground with it's fragile feel and miserable keyboard.<br><br>The <strong>Touch Pro</strong> and I didn't get along. There really didn't seem to be anything in particular wrong with the <strong>Touch Pro</strong>, but it and I fought each other every step of the way.<br><br>Now on to actually trying to DO something. :)<br><br>I chose to go to one of the sites I'm the Administrator of, because of my familiarity with the look, feel, and actions of each and every element of the site. I chose <a target="_blank" href="http://scionlife.com/">ScionLife.com</a> because of its depth and complexity, and because I knew intimately how to get to various standard pages quickly and easily from long years of use.<br><br>So, I first find the browser, open it and find some place to enter the URL on each device.<br><br>With the <strong>Pre</strong>, the browser is one of the five buttons at the base of the touch screen (that's the way I set it up), so I tapped the icon and the browser appeared after a short start-up time. I entered the URL using the miniscule keyboard and tapped the arrow behind the URL on the screen.<br><br>The opening page of the site appeared just as it would on any decent computer, only in miniature.<br><br>I rotated the unit to landscape mode and pinched the view larger so I could more easily select the first breaking news topic.<br><br>Once in that topic I again pinch-enlarged the view to select my name above my avatar in the first post.<br><br>That took me to my Profile, where I scrolled down to one of the images in my gallery and tapped it.<br><br>The gallery page displayed, and I was easily able to display the selected image full screen. It looked just as it would on any quality display, just physically smaller.<br><br>Next up was the <strong>Curve</strong>. Try as I might, I could not find the browser, and finally had to ask one of the folks in the Sprint store for assistance.<br><br>That's when we found that not only was the device not provisioned, but also that someone had removed the browser application from the device. :(<br><br>Next up was the <strong>G1</strong> at the T-Mobile shop. I opened the browser, didn't find where to enter a URL, so did a quick Google search for ScionLife. I clicked the first result and ended up again on the front page of the site, which displayed in full and accurately. I took the same steps to the same image and was easily able to display the image full screen. It looked almost as good as it did on the Pre. :)<br><br>Next up was a <strong>Curve</strong> at a different Sprint store.<br><br>I was really looking forward to this test, because I really liked the look and feel of the entire device.<br><br>This <strong>Curve</strong> <u>did</u> have a browser, so I entered the URL and clicked away to the site's home page. Utter disaster. The page was all broken up into individual segments not appearing in any logical order or position.<br><br>I was eventually able to find the breaking news link I was after, positioned the curser using the trackball and clicked into another level of Hell. :(<br><br>This page was also scrambled, but I eventually found the links to my profile and my gallery, and was finally able to view the picture I was after.<br><br>The picture (a decent high-res front quarter view of Vanilla, my little show Scion) was somewhat blocky and the colors were anything but smooth.<br><br>Let's put it this way... One of the phrases we used to use sometimes when interpreting BSDA (Bomb Strike Damage Assessment) images that were very poor came to mind - <em>"Image quality does not seriously impede object recognition."</em> That's the highest grade I could give what up to that point may have been my next handset. :(<br><br>OK, On to the <strong>Touch Pro</strong><br><br>With some fiddling around I was able to open the browser and find someplace to enter a URL. Did the same steps through the same site pages to the gallery image. Never did get it to display the full image full screen. I was able to display the full page, or a portion of the image.<br><br>How do these devices rank (for me) now?<br><br><strong>1 Pre<br>2 G1<br>3 Touch Pro<br>4 Curve</strong><br><br>Eliminate the <strong>G1</strong> because it is not available from Sprint (and the T-Mob doesn't have coverage where I need it).<br><br>I was really, really disappointed.<br><br>The <strong>Blackberry Curve</strong> does so many things well, and even does some better than any other device (push mail!), that I really was seriously considering one. Add into that it's superior build quality over the other devices in this quick test, the ready availability of extended batteries and accessories, and the actual use of some metal parts instead of plastic on plastic, and I was sold - until I hit the web.<br><br>Still need to set up that mobile device luncheon with my <strong>iPhone</strong> and <strong>Blackberry</strong> friends.<br><br>More later...<br><br>

Highlighted
Wizard

@DanielleH wrote:
Hey Tom - any problems with the touch screen? I posted this out on the board. But I noticed occassionaly my touch screen won't work but everything else does. I took it to sprint and they said they did a software update yesterday but it did it again today. Right when I wanted to take a picture of my friend for her birthday Wouldn't work for 30 minutesl

Never have had the slightest problem with the touch screen on my Pre. The GPS sometimes gets grumpy and won't pay attention, but the touch screen is always ready and eager.

I also don't recall hearing of anyone else with a screen problem other than on Pre's that were just plain in trouble. Sounds like yours may not be feeling well.

Sorry!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Howdy Tom, I feel your pain on the BB browser. Fortunately, third parties are charging to the rescue. Pretty much every phone I touch winds up with the Opera Mini browser. You probably won't be able to put that on at a Sprint store to test itbut the browser is quite wonderful and would resolve your Internet issues if you really do want a BB.

Any BB users wanna give an amen?

Message Edited by Gmano on 07-07-2009 02:48 PM

Highlighted
Master

Opera Mini is like night and day on just about any phone. Only downside is that it doesn't support file downloads.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat