cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB cable. Is it just a mini A plug?

Go to solution
Journeyman

USB cable. Is it just a mini A plug?

The USB cable that you can plug into your computer and then into the Pre, the end that goes into the Pre, is that just a mini 5-pin A usb connector?

Cause I dont see the point paying $20 for another cable when I can get one off ebay for $2....if this is the case. Can anyone confirm?

I was trying look at closeup pictures of mini A and mini B connectors and it looks like a mini A.

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: USB cable. Is it just a mini A plug?

Standard at one end at the other I believe is a micro, not mini.

-J

Journeyman

@J_Undisputed wrote:

Standard at one end at the other I believe is a micro, not mini.

-J

Yep, it is definitely a "micro" on the phone end.

Journeyman

Well if it's any comfort, I have seen the micro connector elsewhere, and it is a standard connector, even if not particularly widespread in its usage. You can also get mini-A to micro adapters online, I think they're about $10. Debating whether I should shell out for one to see if my mini-A male to standard A female adapter will let me plug strange and interesting things into my Pre with any success... like SD card readers or thumb drives... or full-on external hard drives (self-powered ones, not USB-powered!)

Journeyman

I have a bunch of USB MINI cables. And I have Car Cargers (and wall chargers) that has a USB plug (to charge USB based devices).

I found on Amazon.Com some adapters that are less than $3.00 (including shipping) that will convert MINI usb connectors to MICRO usb connectors.

Sprint Product Ambassador

I belive it's called a Micro B plug, and yes you can get adaptors all over the web for $5 plus shipping.

However, don't come crying to me when your $5 adaptor hooked to your $5 car charger you got from a guy on the street smokes your $500 Pre.

Safe bet: Use factory accessories.

(What do I do?  I'm not tellin...)

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

Anyone have experience or know where to buy a car charger that fits into the Touchstone? I bought the official sprint car charger, doesn't work and bought one of Amazon and it doesn't fit, the plastic around the micro charger is to big and I don't to cut it up....

Journeyman

<p>Well, check the rating on your Amazon one. If it puts out at least 1A (or 1000mA... same thing), it should work. In that case, since it's otherwise redundant with your Sprint charger, why not whittle it down so it fits? Smiley Happy</p><p></p><p>Even though the Sprint charger is only 850mA, I'm planning to shave it down to size, because having my phone stuck on the Touchstone in my car while it streams Pandora would be just TFC (too *** cool). I really like the sticky-but-not-sticky thing on the back of the Touchstone... I think it'd hold onto my dash really well even during sudden stops (and the magnet plus the upward slope of the Touchstone should keep the phone from separating from it).</p><p></p><p>I'm seriously considering buying a second Touchstone (the base only) for exactly this purpose.</p><div class="message-edit-history"><span class="edit-author">Message Edited by Doktor Jones on </span><span class="local-date">06-09-2009</span><span class="local-time"> 02:32 AM</span></div>

Journeyman

Wengla,

I dont buy official most of the time because I hate how the prices for simple things get jacked up so high. That USB cable that plugs into the phone and into the computer, costs them at MOST $.75 to make, but they are gonna charge me $20 for it? Nope, sorry. Its a metallic wire, encased in a shield, covered in plastic with 2 connectors on each end.

Journeyman

@Doktor Jones wrote:

...having my phone stuck on the Touchstone in my car while it streams Pandora would be just TFC (too *** cool). I really like the sticky-but-not-sticky thing on the back of the Touchstone... I think it'd hold onto my dash really well even during sudden stops (and the magnet plus the upward slope of the Touchstone should keep the phone from separating from it).

I'm seriously considering buying a second Touchstone (the base only) for exactly this purpose.

I have been thinking about this and wondering if it would work (except with GPS) for a coupla months now let us know how it goes for you. If it works, there might be a whole bunch of us buying Touchtones and extra sticky-tape!

Journeyman

Here (Click Here)the charger is advertised as $7.95 plus shipping.

Journeyman

This is why I dont want to pay $20 for an "official" Palm USb cable.

Touchstone charger contains $5 worth of parts: http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2009/06/palms_touchston.html;jsessionid=QX5FYYOQUP...

OK, you need to factor in overhead, development, etc, but a $65 markup? Come on.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat