Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating tower information

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Updating tower information

@Mr IndustrialPants wrote:
I am not seeing this in the device known issues list, however if this can not be done over the air, and a tech support rep at a store is unable to do it over the wire I would try getting in touch with Palm technical support as it could be a manufacturer issues preventing this.

When I took it to the local Sprint Tech Center, they told me there is no way to do a PRL update by wire. They said it can only be done over the air. So they can't do anything more than the consumer can do. I have yet to hear of a Centro user being able to do this.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Then if the PRL update is not being received by the handset then I would check with Palm to see if they have an explanation for this. They should be able to receive all information from our cell sites when the phone communicates with our network.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've been trying for several weeks to have PRL update run on my Centro. They keep flagging my number to have it updated, but when I dial *2, it just puts me on through to Customer Service. I've had at least 5 different people tell me to take it into a store, but after the first time I did go to store, only to be told that it can only be done over the air. So I'm still stuck back at an old PRL update. Have just about given up on trying to get it done!

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Mr IndustrialPants wrote:
That's the thing though...you aren't getting Sprint service with that PRL update you are getting (name of roaming wireless provider) service, and then through them you may get access to Sprint (although you may not be able to access vm, text, web, pictures, etc while roaming).
Also while roaming we can not garuntee service (it's not happening on our network), and your minutes...wether it's M2M or during N&W time...will come off the daytime minutes in your plan if you have "Roaming Included" in your plan.

There is a particular SID that I'm thinking of where it's not the difference between Sprint service and somebody else's service, it's the difference between somebody else's service (roaming) and no service. I would prefer mediocre service from somebody over no service from Sprint. I don't care if comes out of M2M or regular plan or whatever, I want to be able to make a call. Sprint does not have a cell site within 30 miles of this particular spot and ain't likely to be putting one up to serve the 5 people who live there. So if my phone doesn't roam onto the carrier who did put up a cell site, I have no service and the phone is a useless piece of junk.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@jhilker wrote:
I've been trying for several weeks to have PRL update run on my Centro. They keep flagging my number to have it updated, but when I dial *2, it just puts me on through to Customer Service. I've had at least 5 different people tell me to take it into a store, but after the first time I did go to store, only to be told that it can only be done over the air. So I'm still stuck back at an old PRL update. Have just about given up on trying to get it done!

When your account is flagged for a PRL update for your Centro, instead of calling *2, call 877-900-6804. That's the backdoor number that will get you the update.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Following up on use of the 877 number I posted here ... Unlike using *2 on a Centro, this number does indeed result in you being told an update will be applied to your Centro (if your acct was flagged for that, of course), and it will tell you the update is successful, but when you power off and on your phone, it will not have been applied. Further attempts at using this 877 number will be met with being told you have an update available, and when it's "successfully applied," it will end up not being applied.

Message Edited by ralvy on 03-24-2008 11:25 AM

Highlighted
Journeyman

After lengthy research done at advanced tech support, I was told that when a phone can't receive over-the-air PRL updates, it can indeed be done over a wire in an official Sprint repair store, not an authorized Sprint repair store. The latter cannot do it over a wire. The place I went to last week was an "authorized" center, not an official one. In my area, the official one's are called either "Sprint Direct Service Center" or "Sprint Phone Repair Center." I may have time to try this out later this week.

Highlighted
Journeyman

From my personal experience and in looking in other boards, this appears to be a huge issue. Apparently the lates PRL is 60612 and there is no record anywhere of a Centro owner successfully updating the phone (OTA or in the store). I have been on the phone with Tech support and also at the store and noboby can get it to work. The tech at the store called around to other stores in my city and they are all having this problem with Centros.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@deibelsan wrote:
From my personal experience and in looking in other boards, this appears to be a huge issue. Apparently the lates PRL is 60612 and there is no record anywhere of a Centro owner successfully updating the phone (OTA or in the store). I have been on the phone with Tech support and also at the store and noboby can get it to work. The tech at the store called around to other stores in my city and they are all having this problem with Centros.

From what I hear over at mytreo.net in a Centro PRL thread (http://tinyurl.com/632ak7), Sprint's only solution to this is to offer you another Centro. They say they cannot update PRLs on a Centro. Neither by wire not over the air.

Highlighted
Wizard

Over at the three largest forums that cover Sprint, the word is the same: The Centro cannot update it's PRL either Over-The-Air or by wire in the shop. 😞<br><br>There appears to be a major QA problem with the software/firmware in the Centro that is preventing the update. (I assume they are working frantically to find and correct the problem).<br><br>For right now it seems that a few folks have had their Centros replaced due to the problem, but that does not seem to be a "general" option, but only for special cases...<br><br>IMHO, the biggest problem is Sprint not admitting that there IS a problem, and not informing their CS and their customers that they are working on a fix. Problems don't just "go away" if they are ignored, instead they snowball into a PR mess.<br><br>If Sprint were to at least say "We have a minor problem that is preventing PRL updates with the Centro at the moment, but we are working on the fix for that" it would go a long way to calming things down.<br><br>If instead they pretend to the public the problem doesn't exist, while working to fix the problem internally, they are creating their own disaster - as usual. :(<br><br>I assume the high-bucks PR folks can figure this out?<br><br><br>{edited to fix the usual tpyos... Tomas}<div class="message-edit-history"><span class="edit-author">Message Edited by Tomas on </span><span class="local-date">05-02-2008</span><span class="local-time"> 10:48 AM</span></div>

Highlighted
Journeyman

My guess is that Sprint and Palm are in a finger pointing contest right now (Palm is probably saying "it is just like the 755P so it should work") trying to decide whose fault it is and who should fix it (and we know that Palm is trying really hard to come up with new colors for the Centro so they can keep growing the market). I've seen some posts from people who have recently gotten their Centros and it looks like they are still being shipped with 60610 so getting a new phone may not even solve the issue.

When Verizon brings out the phone we will see which side of the fence the problem is on I guess (apparently GSM doesn't use PRL's so the ATT user won't be complaining about this). In the meantime, I have seen where a couple of intrepid souls are going to try downloading the PRL from a site that apparently provides them and then upload it to the phone using some frankenprogram that is "illegal" to distribute but apparently is pretty easy to get in the wild.

In the end, Sprint should at least do two things until this is fixed a) quit telling people they need a PRL update when they call customer service for some other reason (that is how this got started for me, some CS rep say that there is a new PRL and to call back to get it...) and b) have Tech Support quit sending people to the store to get an over-the-wire update when it isn't possible (this particularly makes them look stupid and frustrates both the customer and the techs in the store). Just admit it doesn't work right now and if you have to issue a service credit to make the client happy then do it. If you make customers run around town for a futile purpose, it will take more than a service credit to make people happy.

Finally, Palm has sold over 1million of these things and I would think most are on Sprint. That is going to be a whole lot of unhappy customers if this doesn't get solved soon.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've been going back and forth between CS and our local authorized store, and I found another alternative. Retentions made the call to swap out my Centro for a Blackberry Pearl. I was just too worried that they'd never figure out how to upload firmware updates, so I'm going to try the BB now!

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat