Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating tower information

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Updating tower information

I asked our product team about PRL updates in relation to Palm devices.  They had no comment on providing an automatic over the air number, like Verizon's, but they did tell me this:

"Currently, the Palm devices are designed to require manual PRL requests (by dialing *2) or updating the PRL version in any Sprint retail store.  Call *2 on your handset and request a PRL update.  Once the PRL is pushed via an over-the-air update, you will see a prompt on your phone, “Your phone must be configured for Vision services. This process will take a few minutes. Would you like to do this now?" You'll then be prompted to choose “Now” or “Later”.  If you choose "Now" the PRL update will begin.  If you chose "Later" the PRL prompt will not be stored for download and will be discarded.  You'll need to call *2 again to request the PRL.  I'd recommend selecting “Now” to perform the update.

A software upgrade will be available later this year that removes the update "Later" selection.  In the new design the device receives an IOTA WAP push and immediately begins executing the provisioning request."

I am still working on getting information about anything that may be happening specific to the Centro.

Tristan

Highlighted
Wizard

Thanks for the update, Tristan, and thanks for keeping after the Centro problem for the Centro folks. Hope you get something you can share with us. Smiley Happy

(Not being a Palm person - except for one of their older PDAs - I didn't realize the current PRL process for Palms was more complex than that for my simple Sanyo. One would actually think that the process on a smarter device would actually be simpler.)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Once the PRL is pushed via an over-the-air update, you will see a prompt on your phone, Your phone must be configured for Vision services. This process will take a few minutes. Would you like to do this now?" You'll then be prompted to choose Now or Later. If you choose "Now" the PRL update will begin.

The problem is that isn't at all what happens with the Centro. You can press *2 and ask for all the updates you want but when you *2 again, it still just goes to customer service. There is no PRL update being performed period.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It seems like the PRL update is not working for Centro. I tried serval times and it just didn't update the PRL version.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@tanus wrote:
It seems like the PRL update is not working for Centro. I tried serval times and it just didn't update the PRL version.

That's correct. The Sprint Centro cannot have its PRL updated over the air or over a wire. Period. And apparently Sprint knows about this. The closest you can come to doing this is having a Customer Service rep flag your account for a PRL update, and then call 877-900-6804 instead of calling *2. If you do that, you will get confirmation that your account is in need of an update (unlike calling *2, where you will never get such a notice on a Centro). But after you let it supposedly do the update, and then hang up (and perhaps turn the handheld off and on), you will find you do not have anything updated at all. If you call that toll free number again, you will again be told you are in need of an update. This process is never successful.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just successfully updated my Centro PRL version to 60613 by dialing *22807 and it automatically recognized that my firmware needed to be updated. I didn't have to ask CS to flag my account for PRL update.

Highlighted
Journeyman

That doesn't work for me. All it does is get me Customer Service. When did you get your Centro? Perhaps you have a later model that fixed this problem.

Later ... Actually, it won't work unless you have Customer Service flag your account for a PRL update. After I did that, it worked. Thanks!

Message Edited by ralvy on 06-25-2008 11:14 AM

Highlighted
Journeyman

From what I am reading, this post shouldn't be marked solved. Maybe it worked for Ralv but apparently it is still very buggy and may very well get you stuck with 40410 which is completely wrong. I personally am waiting until the bugs are worked out.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, at least it sounds like a Sprint problem, not a Centro problem, so Centros shouldn't need a fireware update for this.

I took off the Acceptable Solution marker for now, since some don't seem to be getting the latest PRL with this procedure.

Message Edited by ralvy on 06-26-2008 02:12 PM

Highlighted
Journeyman

It worked for me. I was able to update my Centro - but it took several calls to Customer Support - only the technical support people seemed to flag my account correctly. Just asking for PRL update to usual support number didn't seem to get my account flagged. 1st flag by tech support and *22807 gave me the 40410 prl. 2nd call to tech support got me 60613. So I think this works - it just takes persistence to get to the right prl!

Highlighted
Journeyman

The 40410 PRL proglem seems to be a problem with Sprint's process. I am reading in the 755 forums that it is happening to them too and they never had a problem before.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat