Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Outlook mail with Gmail (no exchange server) and Pre

Highlighted
Journeyman

Using Outlook mail with Gmail (no exchange server) and Pre

Hello people,

My primary email account is gmail. I have it setup via Outlook 2007 on my laptop, I never actually go to gmail. I don't use a server, just the pop3 setup saved to a .pst file locally. I just downloaded PocketMirror to sych my Calendar and contact, but how do I sync my email on my outlook????? This is a fairly common setup, I hope there's a solution otherwise I will have to take the phone back.

I need your help! I had one of the first palms and remember having this problem. This phone is incredible but it still seems to have the problem from years ago?? That can't be! This is my 2nd main use of the phone. Please help!

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: Using Outlook mail with Gmail (no exchange server) and Pre

That's fine.

I'd do this:

1) Go to Gmail. Enable IMAP

2) Reconfigure Outlook to use IMAP

(this will store messages on the server till you move them to a PST file on your local machine)

3) Point the Pre at Gmail.

You should be good to go.  This has been my setup for 3 or 4 different phones; works great.  Messages always in sync, can see same messages on phone as on laptop. When you move a message out of the inbox to a local Personal Folder, it'll go away on the phone too.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

Oh my god. I think you just saved my life. Looking into it now.

Journeyman

"When you move a message out of the inbox to a local Personal Folder, it'll go away on the phone too."

Is there a way to keep this from happening? On my Outlook I have rules that move messages from the inbox to a folder specifying the mail box it came from.As a resultI don't have any messages inmy inbox.So every time open outlook and check all my emails the messages on the phone are erased.

Sprint Product Ambassador

Nope - once the messages are removed from the server, they are not available from the phone.

You could create a server-side folder ('label' in GMail parlance) and have Outlook move the messages there.  You have unlimited storage on GMail, so leaving messages on the folder isn't a problem.

You can even set up GMail via the webclient to automatically move the messages to those 'lables' or folders via filters.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat