cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Disappointed - end of BCPE

Highlighted
Journeyman

Very Disappointed - end of BCPE

I've had a Palm Treo 650 with BCPE (Business Connection Personal Edition) for over three years with excellent experiences and high customer satisfaction.

Ive been the biggest Sprint cheerleader for years!That satisfaction was entirely due to BCPE because it was a differentiator no other carrier had alternative software could link to Outloook so well without IT involvement.

I work at a Fortune 50 conglomerate that will only allow wireless email through company-owned phones that are old, require a stupid amount of red tape and are ridiculously expensive.

Colleagues that use these phones (blackberrys, palms, etc.) have lots of technical difficulties and outages that Ive never had and, therefore, are jealous that I had a better application for much lower cost and no corporate IT involvement.

Two months ago, my Treo 650 showed its age and wear and I was upgraded to a 755p (without my consent but thats another story). Thats when I first learned that BCPE was going to be retired and, although its still working, the official date is 9/1/08.

There is no replacement offered for BCPE that can push email, sync calendars & contacts, and attach/forward desktop documents.

Im very disappointed especially because this company seems to want to find ways to keep customers but continues to alienate ardent users such as me.

Ive contacted anyone I can think of including senior management at Sprint in Fairfax and consultants at Seven Systems (the makers of the software) and cannot get a straight answer as to why this is happening.

I assume it comes down to issues with control or money but the sad fact is that Ive gone from a rare Sprint enthusiast that could prove this company was better to someone that will be leaving as soon as I find a replacement plan.

14 REPLIES 14
Journeyman

Re: Very Disappointed - end of BCPE

I am in EXACTLY the same situation but for even longer. I've been using BCPE for over 6 years, going back to Samsung's i500 Palm OS flip phone, then through the Treo 650 to my current 700p. It has been one of the main reasons I've stuck with Sprint, although service in general has been very good, and you can't beat Power Vision for $15/month.

Do you have any ideas for a replacement service? I'm reading about Microsoft Exchange using the new Treo 800w, but that would be my first MS Mobile phone, would mean having to put my simple Outlook setup on an Exchange server, and I don't even know if I'm going to have to change my plan.

I'd love to share thoughts about what to do going forward

musicnyc

Journeyman

Ditto the Disappointment. BCPE was the reason I became a Sprint Customer. I bought 3 Treos for myself and, as I was an advocate of the simplicity of the solution and the device, I caused a number of co-workers to sign up with Sprint over the last 4 years.

I was only given 3 weeks notice about Sprint's decision to decommission. In the announcement email, they suggest Sprint Mobile Email work, which offers a similar desktop re-director, but strangely is only supported on a handful of non-smartphones. It seems incredibly odd this decision could be made to leave all the Treo users in the cold.

It seems Sprint is almost encouraging us to pick another major CDMA carrier that offers a similar wireless sync service for Palm.

Journeyman

More than likely going to leave sprint because the vender site stopped

my bonus because I transferred an airave call to the airave support site

after fixing the phones on the account. So I am deleting my postings.

Message Edited by Threestepps on 08-19-2008 06:10 PM
Message Edited by Threestepps on 12-29-2008 02:08 PM

Journeyman

I got an email from Sprint that offers a desktop redirector for Sprint Mobile Email for ONLY $9.95 per month. Looks just like BCPE. They discontinued it so they could start charging for it. Hah!

Journeyman

Hey Everyone - I have some very good news.

I was trying to work with the programmers at Seven Systems to join their Beta program and possibly use a different phone or service to continue to have the functionality that BCPE offered. They seem to be more focused on the Windows versions of software and haven't really focused on Palm OS. In fact, their newest release of mobile email software doesn't support Palm at all and they won some big awards this year as best in their class. (And Palm isn't really doing much to upgrade their OS).

I purchased an AT&T Treo 700 which uses the newest version of Windows interface and operates on 3G. Seven Systems provides mobile email software to AT&T as well and I was ready to make that my new phone and leave Sprint. IN emailing the programmers, however, I stated that the Palm OS was simply much easier to use and I was very happy with it and they offered another alternative.

Sprint Mobile Email WORK with Desktop Connector is another service that Sprint offers from Seven Systems and it is identical to the old BCPE. In fact, it is better on the Treo 755p because BCPE wasn't technically supported for that model of phone. I've had it running a few days now and it is working great!

I'm glad to have my service back up and running and I'll be staying with Sprint for now (becuase they support the older Palm OS phones). But I'm still very disappointed with their technical customer service not being able to solve this issue for me. I had to work with the software's programmers before they suggested I try something to make me stay with Sprint. Very strange...

I suggest anyone that was happy with BCPE to try Sprint Mobile Email WORK with Desktop Connector!

Journeyman

Well, I have since moved on to an Exchange account from mail2web which costs $4.99 per month and works with the VersaMail on my Treo 700p (after installing the Sprint update which adds push email). My email is synchronized to Outlook Web version at home (but not the desktop software), as well as my contacts and calendar. I've given up some functionality but added a couple of new features, like access from any computer and not having to have my PC on at home (saves energy and $$).

I see myself reluctantly moving on to a Windows Mobile Treo in the future, with full Exchange capabilities, but for now this is my short-term solution.

Journeyman

Hi all.

After a total of a couple hourswith Sprint TS I replaced BCPE with WORK and the connector. My only gripe is I can't find the Sprint website where my inbox is mirrored. I occasionally work in rural areas where I don't have cell service. I relied on this BCPE feature to keep in touch. It used to be https://bc.sprintpcs.com/subscriber/login.stp. Any ideas?

Journeyman

Good point RicRandom. I used that web login a few times myself.

I don't know if Sprint has a similar website with the new offering but I imagine they would.

Luckily, I don't have as much of an urgent need to use the site but it would be useful if available.

Someone please post if you know if Sprint has this available.

Hope your experiance has been positive so far with Sprint Mobile Email WORK with Desktop Connector.

I'm still having a good experience so far.

Journeyman

Sprint TS is baffled by this inquiry. Workworks OK though if Outlook is restarted for any reason one must dis and re-connect the connector to maintain service. This makes it important to confirm operation by doing a manual sync before leaving the PC. Did you know that one can initiate a manualsync by pressing and holding the button on your phone that launches the connector? Also I learned today that Sprint is offering former BCPE users a 75.00 credit towards a new phone for our inconvenience. I checked theSprint rebate page (http://www.sprintrebates.com) and found I'm also due a loyalty credit of "up to" 150.00. If they'll pony up 225.00 I may upgrade to an 800w now that the battery issues are being worked out. Selling my 700p on eBay may cover the margin and the accessories

Journeyman

it took sprint less than 2 months to address that. not bad considering how long it takes for some things.

Journeyman

I tried to collect that aledged 75.00 credit. Hit a wall... if one can experience a blank stare over the phone I just did.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat