Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When battery is fully charged

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

When battery is fully charged

Is it OK to leave it charging or once it hits 100%, should I take it off the charger?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Journeyman

With the Palm Pre there have been some issues (not with every device) about the device getting hot and the battery being extremely hot, I  would watch the device while it is on the charger, make sure it does not start to get too hot, this could cause the device to over heat...if you are showing no signs of the device getting hot due to leaving it on the charger then there is not an issue with the device remaining on the charger once it is fully charged. Just be careful

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Journeyman

I absolutely vote for leaving it on the charger. I did that with my Treo 700p for two years, and never had problems with the battery degrading. I'd plug my Treo in before I went to bed whenever the battery was low, and pull it off the charger when I leave the house the next morning.

Highlighted
Journeyman

With the Palm Pre there have been some issues (not with every device) about the device getting hot and the battery being extremely hot, I  would watch the device while it is on the charger, make sure it does not start to get too hot, this could cause the device to over heat...if you are showing no signs of the device getting hot due to leaving it on the charger then there is not an issue with the device remaining on the charger once it is fully charged. Just be careful

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Journeyman

<blockquote><hr>BnicS1 wrote:<br>With the Palm Pre there have been some issues (not with every device) about the device getting hot and the battery being extremely hot, I would watch the device while it is on the charger, make sure it does not start to get too hot, this could cause the device to over heat...if you are showing no signs of the device getting hot due to leaving it on the charger then there is not an issue with the device remaining on the charger once it is fully charged. Just be careful :)<hr></blockquote><p>Good call. Heat can be detrimental to Li-Ion batteries, so if your phone does get very hot on the charger (pay attention to its temperature after the battery has reached 100%), you may want to consider removing it after it charges. If it cools off after it's finished charging, as mine does, then you should be okay leaving it on all night... and that will make sure it's got a full, fresh charge when you're ready to take off the next morning ;)</p>

Highlighted
Journeyman

Slightly off topic but I had my Instinct on the car charger and looked over and it said it had stopped charging due to high temperature.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@doczenith1 wrote:
Slightly off topic but I had my Instinct on the car charger and looked over and it said it had stopped charging due to high temperature.

WHOA!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Perhaps I should have stated it that the reason it was too hot was because it was in direct sunlight with no airflow. i.e. parked car. No fault of the charger or phone. My point was that the previous post that mentioned that Li-Ion batteries don't like too much heat was right and the Instinct actually has a built-in sensor.

Message Edited by doczenith1 on 06-12-2009 11:48 AM

Highlighted
Journeyman

My battery becomes too warm when in use. However, I found that if I slide the keyboard out, the Pre cools down.

I am now charging my Pre and noticed it getting warmer than it should. I slid the keyboard out: Cooled down a bit, but after 15 minutes now, just the keyboard area (still extended) is still warmer.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I gave up the HTC Touch Pro for the Pre (which I love). I had to remove the Touch Pro as soon as it quit charging. If not, it would lock the phone. The light would stay on (center circle light button). Nothing would come on though. I'd have to remove &amp; reinstall the battery to get the phone to work again. Depending on which case I'd haveon, it wasn't always easy to remove the battery.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat