cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are the apps..

Highlighted
Journeyman

Where are the apps..

Yes it is another where are the APPs post, 30 days is coming, and well I'm starting to get bored of my pretty little phone. I can't change text tones, its Awfully quiet, when is the SDK going to be released and we can start getting some actual use of the phone?

21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Where are the apps..

@Morcelu wrote:
Yes it is another where are the APPs post, 30 days is coming, and well I'm starting to get bored of my pretty little phone. I can't change text tones, its Awfully quiet, when is the SDK going to be released and we can start getting some actual use of the phone?

All of the information you seek have been recently posted about. The SDK won't officially be released until at least September. In the mean time Palm has released the beta to thousands of approved developers. As of a couple of days ago, Palm started accepting apps to be reviewed for the App Catalog. We will most likely see some stuff showing up very soon. If you can't wait, there are homebrew apps available if you want to do a little work to get them.

Changing alert tones will most likely be in a future update or app. There is already a homebrew app that allows you to change some of them.

Highlighted
Journeyman

September?! SEPTEMBER?!!....Are they trying to get people to go the Iphone? I don't understand how they can ask people to wait for applications in a market where its really the apps that make the phones these days....September...wow..just wow

Highlighted
Journeyman

Did you see the part where I said Palm has released the beta SDK to THOUSANDS of developers, and are currently accepting applications for review to be put in the App Catalog? None of that means there won't be any apps released until September, it means we will see new apps SOON.

My guess is we will see some new stuff in a few days or by the end of next week at the latest. It all depends on how far along developers are.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I hope so, and Aye I did read the entire thing I just get really sad when I check the app catalog every morning and not seeing any new apps just makes it boring. I'm hoping more will be released soon. and also ...thousands? android had thousands going the first few days it was out, apple has over 20 thousand apps now, and not sure how many android currently has. Slow and Steady doesn't win the tech race. (ALSO: I don't believe I should have to jail break/ get a home brew app to change my message ring tones..that should have been in the pre from the start)

Message Edited by Morcelu on 07-06-2009 03:51 PM

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Morcelu wrote:
I hope so, and Aye I did read the entire thing I just get really sad when I check the app catalog every morning and not seeing any new apps just makes it boring. I'm hoping more will be released soon. and also ...thousands? android had thousands going the first few days it was out, apple has over 20 thousand apps now, and not sure how many android currently has. Slow and Steady doesn't win the tech race.

Consider yourself lucky, lol. You Have apps coming, which is more than us Instinct owners can say after one year...We have a Whopping 30 something apps in the digital lounge still to this very day if you minus what was on the phone already, and all the trial apps..Lucky you, lol...Our time has past, but your time is Now, I hope you guys are app plentiful soon enough. Could attract more buyers...buyers patiently waiting to see this phone take off. Wish they could solve your battery life problem, maybe adding an extra one would have been a wiser choice...

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Morcelu wrote:
I hope so, and Aye I did read the entire thing I just get really sad when I check the app catalog every morning and not seeing any new apps just makes it boring. I'm hoping more will be released soon. and also ...thousands? android had thousands going the first few days it was out, apple has over 20 thousand apps now, and not sure how many android currently has. Slow and Steady doesn't win the tech race. (ALSO: I don't believe I should have to jail break/ get a home brew app to change my message ring tones..that should have been in the pre from the start)
Message Edited by Morcelu on 07-06-2009 03:51 PM

Apple opened the App Store with 500 apps (they're up to 50k now). The phone had been out almost a year and the SDK had been public for months. If Palm were to follow that same model then you would be waiting a lot longer for apps to start showing up on the Pre.

Android opened the Marketplace with 50 apps. They're up around 4500 or so now. That's from and open source OS who's SDK was public most of the time it was in development.

You don't have to jailbreak the Pre to get the app to change alert tones. Up until the last update it was as simple as emailing the file to your phone. It is quite a bit more difficult now.

Highlighted
Patron

@sweet greggo wrote:

You don't have to jailbreak the Pre to get the app to change alert tones. Up until the last update it was as simple as emailing the file to your phone. It is quite a bit more difficult now.

It's still pretty easy... sure you have to download a couple of programs, but once you do that, it's pretty easy.

Simple How To Guide on Installing Homebrew Apps

Highlighted
Master

<blockquote><hr>Morcelu wrote: <br> September?! SEPTEMBER?!!....Are they trying to get people to go the Iphone? I don't understand how they can ask people to wait for applications in a market where its really the apps that make the phones these days....September...wow..just wow :(<hr></blockquote><br><br>The Apple App Store was opened on July 10, 2008, that is more than a year after the original iPhone launched (June 29, 2007). So look at it this way. The extremely vast majority of the iPhone Web Apps work flawlessly on the Pre due to the similar browser systems. Remember Apple told developers to develop Web Apps at first before releasing a proper SDK, and most of those applications work just fine on the Pre. In fact, most apps would work just fine as a Web App, but that requires server bandwidth since they are web-based, so smaller developers can't afford to do Web Apps.<br><br>Android also as posted previously had the SDK constantly being redesigned throughout development, which caused a lot of developers to wait until it was more settled down before actually starting to develop Applications. Why code something 15+ times for each build refresh that changes something you used, when you can wait until it is finalized and release it once then fix bugs? From a development perspective it makes more sense to wait for a finalized SDK than constantly reprogram the same app.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The apps are coming. Apparently, I am now allowed to talk about any development I am working on.

I have a music app coming that will blow away the stock music app.

- Fully functional song scrubber/slider
- Drag and drop playlist reorder and song delete.
- Crossfade option
- Auto bookmark feature remembers "where you were" in songs and podcasts. This feature retains your active playlist. (optional)
- Easily create, edit and save custom playlists
- Multiple interface skins
- Portrait and landscape play screen layout
- Notification bar controls

There are lots of other features in it that you'd expect from a great music app and some that you've never seen before. Now, you won't be left waiting for Palm to improve their stock music app.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Ruhi wrote:

@sweet greggo wrote:

It's still pretty easy... sure you have to download a couple of programs, but once you do that, it's pretty easy.

Simple How To Guide on Installing Homebrew Apps

I did this but i cant find the app where you can change the ringtones, does anyone know where to get it?

Highlighted
Master

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat