cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why isn't Sprint allowing tethering?

Journeyman

Why isn't Sprint allowing tethering?

Wouldn't Palm Pre tethering, for internet access with NO ADDITIONAL COST, give Sprint a notable competitive advantage? Wouldn't it make smart phones on other carriers, who charge extra or don't offer the feature, look very unattractive? Does Sprint really make that much money selling over priced cellular internet only service and hardware?

Good thing someone has already figured out a circumvention to this issue.

28 REPLIES 28
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: Why isn't Sprint allowing tethering?

It would be a heck of a competitve advantage, wouldn't it?

It'd also cut into our sales of broadband cards.

I have no idea why we do (or don't do) what we do.  

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

If your on a Simply Everything plan shouldn't that mean EVERYTHING? Data is data isn't it?

Journeyman

You would think that unlimited data would mean the allowance of tethering but I am sure it cuts into the almighty dollar especially since they want you to pay for a card and service to use it...and then to cap it as well, lol.

IMHO - For those on simply everything, tethering should be allowed with a cap. If you pay for the mobile broadband card and service...it should be unlimited and cap free. That would be a huge market advantage for Sprint to retain current customers and attract those that are teeter tottering from leaving their current provider.

Anyways, my reason for posting here is that there have been numerous posts on other forums about how to tether with the Instinct and it works perfectly. Give people some time and I am sure someone will figure out how to tether with the Pre.

Journeyman

I ordered the Pre without checking on tethering again after seeing that it was enabled back in Feb or March. Never saw anyone promise a feature and rescind it. Been a Sprint customer for over 10 yrs and while I don't tether much it is invaluable when you need it. Like the phone but will return it & stick with my 755p until this phone or the HTC touchpro 2supports tethering from Sprint or another carrier. Missed a good chance to cement some carrier loyalty by pulling the tethering feature.

Patron

@johnkirchner wrote:

You would think that unlimited data would mean the allowance of tethering but I am sure it cuts into the almighty dollar especially since they want you to pay for a card and service to use it...and then to cap it as well, lol.

IMHO - For those on simply everything, tethering should be allowed with a cap. If you pay for the mobile broadband card and service...it should be unlimited and cap free. That would be a huge market advantage for Sprint to retain current customers and attract those that are teeter tottering from leaving their current provider.

Anyways, my reason for posting here is that there have been numerous posts on other forums about how to tether with the Instinct and it works perfectly. Give people some time and I am sure someone will figure out how to tether with the Pre.

Pretty sure if you check gizmodo... its already been figured out for the Pre. Sprint not being able to capitalize on this excellent selling point is almost sad. You basically dont moniter it, people do it, INCLUDE IT IN YOURMARKETTING!

Journeyman

I think the ad was a Sprint ad but maybe not. Here is the ad I saw where tethering was supported. I never saw the one later where it was removed. http://gizmodo.com/5156819/whered-palm-pre-tethering-go

Master

As far as the "Spec Sheets" stating what a phone is capable of doing, The way it was explained to me by Samsung is "When a phone is designed there are features added that the phone is capable of doing, But it is up to the carrier who carries it on which features they enable."

Most those spec sheets you've seen floating around the interweb are "Leaked" spec's usually from the manufacture not the carriers. Leaked before the phones are released and the carrier chooses which features they'll utilize.

Journeyman

@gjhdvm wrote:
I think the ad was a Sprint ad but maybe not. Here is the ad I saw where tethering was supported. I never saw the one later where it was removed. http://gizmodo.com/5156819/whered-palm-pre-tethering-go

That's pretty black and white. Looks like it got pulled as a feature. Sprint only knows the reason for sure, but I'll bet that Will is correct, they don't want the phone competing with their mobile cards.

Like someone stated earlier, Sprint should allow tethering with a cap, for those that need it occasionally, but not enough to warrant getting the card. Of course, that would make too much sense.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'd like to be able to tether. Looking at it from sprints side of things, it could be a trade off they cant afford right now. Most of the complaintsI hear about sprint are the old customer service reputation they had. People are willing to admit they have one of the best networks. Offering free tethering, would be a great addition to the capabilities on the sprint network and probably get a few more customers. More customers leads to more tethering. The only problem I see is, that its most likely not going to be proportionate after awhile. Aside from the non tethering customers complaining about speed degradationsor bottle necking caused by the tethering customers... You'd have to figure it would only be an amount of time before its starts getting abused and tethering customers startone or severalbigdownloads in the backgroundwhile streaming video or music. The physical limitations of mobile phones sometimes keep the users in check. The keyboards are cramped, the browsers often limited, you cant stream video (webcam). So most people use their phones for the absolute necessities or to pass the time. There are probably a few other issues that we dont see, like the possibility of customers not buying the latest and greatest phone sprints trying to sell and opting for the cheapest piece of crap they can getto tether with unlimited data and using their computers for everything. Just a thought. I could be wrong this.

- J

Wizard

The most annoying part of having a Palm Pre (or any EV-DO phone, really) that is designed for Phone-As-Modem (PAM, tethering) is when a carrier (not just Sprint) doesn't just make it an added cost option to use it, but BLOCKS it, breaks the functionality built in to the phone.

As a customer, I do not need a wireless modem for my laptop other than on rare occasions (travel, car show, etc.) where the casual ability to use the phone as a wireless modem would be a plus. Don't want me to use it for free? Make it like so many other optional add-ons where for $XX I can have a month of PAM service added to my plan, then turn it off again when no longer needed. I can do that with my Reduced Roaming Canada and many other extras, and the phone is designed to do it.

I firmly believe that the business folks at Sprint have a very myopic view of PAM needs. In THEIR lives, you either need a wireless modem for your laptop all the time or you don't need it at all. They do not understand the group of people who would like the occasional ability to use PAM for their infrequent need to wirelessly use their laptop from some motel/hotel room or rest stop.

(My only current way around this is drinking something at one of the ubiquitous Starbucks - I have a registered Starbucks card that gives me two hours of AT&T WiFi access for free when I buy something to drink with the card. The only reason I have that card is for the WiFi access.)

C'mon, Sprint, listen to your customers and figure out that if you break our phone's functionality, folks will still figure out how to get around it. If you allow for and plan for a way for us to do it legitimately you can make some money from folks when they do. If you just stonewall and refuse to let it happen legitimately, they will do it anyway, but it will only COST you money. Duh!

(BTW, PAM with the Palm Pre already has at least one published method to get around Sprint's breaking the built-in functionality of the Pre. I expect more methods and even easier methods - probably actual software applications - in the near future.)

Journeyman

Don't let them charge for it!!!

I would like to see us already paying customers to push for tethering as a FREE built-in app/feature to adequately use our MANDATORY UNLIMITED DATA plans. By free I don't mean raise the basic rate to incorporate this feature.

Is Sprint really afraid I will use my phome as modem to run a business or torrents? Just throttle P2P traffic to a crawl. I know throtteling is taboo, but these devices were not meant for tons of shady file sharing. Besides, I doubt many of us will use PAM that often, so it's not like it's going to bogg down the network. Just make PAM disable the ability to make or reveice calls while it's active.

It's kind of like the handles over the interior rear passenger doors of cars. Sure, a few people use them all the time, but you can point it out that your car has them while others may not. Them the potential buyer sasys "That's a neat feature. All else being equal, I think I'll buy the Palm Pre from Sprint. Oh, the plan is much less expensive as well!". Then they don't have to carry an extra device around to get their computer on the internet. Win, win situation!!!

There are many ways to pull customers from other carriers with this. Just do it, make it FREE and grab some market share.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat