cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why would HP release any WebOS phone on Sprint if 4G tech question hasn't been settled?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Why would HP release any WebOS phone on Sprint if 4G tech question hasn't been settled?

This is the ONE time when I'd prefer HP NOT to rush out an updated WebOS phone for Sprint when Sprint hasn't settled its committment to WiMax or to LTE.

I didn't upgrade to Sprint's 4G because I wasn't sold by Sprint being stuck with WiMax, and hopefully HP sees the same potential risk in wasting $$ on phones destined for sales on NewEgg.com or TigerDirect.com

HP would be way smarter to continue with VZW and Sprint competing as identical technological rivals and produce one model working on both networks.

1 REPLY 1
Wizard

Re: Why would HP release any WebOS phone on Sprint if 4G tech question hasn't been settled?

good_guy wrote:

This is the ONE time when I'd prefer HP NOT to rush out an updated WebOS phone for Sprint when Sprint hasn't settled its committment to WiMax or to LTE.

I didn't upgrade to Sprint's 4G because I wasn't sold by Sprint being stuck with WiMax, and hopefully HP sees the same potential risk in wasting $$ on phones destined for sales on NewEgg.com or TigerDirect.com

HP would be way smarter to continue with VZW and Sprint competing as identical technological rivals and produce one model working on both networks.

The decision by Sprint to go their own independent way with their "4G" method is problematical in a number of ways: It not only means manufacturers have to engineer and design unique devices ONLY usable by the very small, limited pool of Sprint customers, but it also generally means that those customers have no place to roam to  using "4G" across the vast areas not covered by Sprint.

If the CDMA carriers all developed the same methods, modes, and technologies, CDMA customers could technically roam when and where necessary. With everyone doing their own, unique, "walled garden" thing, that much needed ability to roam is no longer viable.

At this point I'd rather see HP push a 3G only CDMA device or if they MUST have 4G in the device, to lean toward the "standard" of LTE.

Then we would have to depend on Sprint initially picking up the Pre3 as a 3G device (or AT LEAST allowing us to turn them up on our plans), and eventually hearing the market logic of moving themselves to the de facto US standard: LTE...

(If Sprint does NOT move to LTE, they will build an even higher wall around their customers and make themselves even less relavent as a company as tme goes on. Being "unique" in this way, in this market, is NOT a good thing. That "garden wall" works two ways: Not only does it keep customers in, it keeps even more potential customers OUT.)

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat