Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will switch carriers if new Palm phone is not on Sprint.

Journeyman

Will switch carriers if new Palm phone is not on Sprint.

Hey, so there is talk of Sprint maybe not carrying the successor to the Pre.  Call it the Pre 2 or the c40 or the Roadrunner.  Regardless of what the official name of the device will be, if this is true and Sprint does not carry the device on LAUNCH DAY, I will switch carriers to whoever does.  I know a vast majority of webOS users on Sprint will do the same. We are the godfathers of the webOS community and will be deeply hurt, especially after waiting this long, if Sprint decides to reject the new Palm device.  Anybody else feelin' this?

Message was edited by: andrewrinne

26 REPLIES 26
Journeyman

nope i wont.  i have a brand new pre...bought one the day they came out but im very abusive to electronic gadgets...but honestly its about service...and i have found...i have been with all diff carriers...that sprint has the best service and the best plans available...im not a fanboy of sprint by any means...but honestly...the other carriers suck so bad i wouldn't switch....but i do love the web os...and if it came down to it i would probably  buy a new device outright and activate it on sprint.

Message was edited by: Satllc

Journeyman

I also bought one on launch day.  I'm on my 7th Palm Pre now because I'm extremely abusive/I hack the crap out of it/ overclock it etc. etc..  Only issue with with being able to activate a new device on the Sprint network is that they're on a different band of CDMA than Verizon and therefore this is not possible.  The only way you'd be able to do this is if the new Palm device is a dual band (CDMA & GSM) world phone, which would be smart but I do not see happening, and then you could activate it only on T-Mobile, AT&T or Cingular and all those companies have horrible service.

Journeyman

lol 7 phones...geeze!   i went from my original pre to my gfs pixi..she had to switch to another carrier...forced by sprint because she was in "roaming" too often and was going to lose her contract..so i took over her pixi for a bit then back to a pre....and yeah i know...that vaporware device better be compatable with sprints network or im screwed...but i will hang on to my pre for as long as i can....then who knows...i know HP is coming out with a tablet running WebOS but nothing has been said of a phone...we can all only hope...and hope that if one does come down the way sprint will be wise enough to pick it up and sell it to its customers....and yeah i concur with the absolutely horrid service other carriers have...the only decent one i know of besides sprint is US Cellular and they are extremely limited in there coverage so they are a moot point.  ATT is abismal, Verizon is a complete joke...i got dropped calls in the middle of major metro areas on Verizon...where i get full strength status on my sprint phone...ATT is a nightmare dealing with anything in customer service and their data network is severely anemic.  SO....there you go...6 of one, half dozen the other....

Journeyman

i'm eligible for an upgrade right now, but there are no phones i like.  if sprint doesnt get the palm pre 2, and verizon does, i will probably just get an iphone.  verizon doesnt have service where i live, and at&t has good coverage.

i hope the pre2 has at least a 3.5" screen with bigger keyboard.

Journeyman

no, you are not a sprint fanboy.  You are the epitome of a fanboy, you have fried your brain on sprint "crack".  All carriers have their strengths and weaknesses, to say that everyone sucks but sprint is ridiculous.  At&t has the most voice coverage, and Verizon has the most 3g coverage.

Journeyman
Journeyman

I agree.  We are a 5 phone account and have been customers since 1999, half of that time with me using a Palm phone.  Mine is the primary phone on this account (where I go the rest of the phones go) and I am invested in and love the Web OS.  I almost switched to the iPhone last December (at the urging of my family) but I felt more comfortable with the Pre and much to the disappointment of the rest of the family, we stayed with Sprint so I could get the Pre.   What good is the benefit of being a "Premier Customer" and getting an upgrade every year instead of every two years, if there is nothing that I can upgrade with without switching phone OS and loosing my apps?

I want to move to the Palm 2 and new Web OS more than I want to stay with Sprint.  If Sprint can not figure a way to continue with this platform and offer its Pre customers a consistent migration path with the latest technology, then it is time for us to move to a new carrier.   As our contracts expire, we will be following the Pre 2 to Verizon.  I have about 35 other friends and clients, who I convinced last spring to join Sprint and get the Pre (prior to Pre Plus on Verizon). Yesterday I sent them all emails soliciting their opinions. 29 have responded so far indicating they will also switch to Verizon when their contracts end (half indicated they will not wait and pay the penalty)  if Sprint can't produce the Pre 2.  I suspect that by tomorrow all will have indicated the same.

Journeyman

Count me as another multiple account/phone user who will jump to Verizon on Nov. 11 (the newest rumored Pre 2 launch date) if Sprint doesn't offer the Pre 2.

Journeyman

Well you won't have to go to Verizon for webOS 2.0, as that will be released on all carriers across all Palm devices.

So far the only reason to switch to Verizon would be for the Palm Pre 2, which is really just a minorly spec bumped Pre. 

I have my Pre overclocked to 1ghz anyway thanks to the miracle workers over at precentral.net.  They've made it so incredibly simple to overclock and add patches and hombrew functionality that any idiot who can install Preware to their phone can do it. 

I don't know if Sprint will hear our cries and carry the Pre 2, BUT even if they do, the Pre 2 is NOT the new superphone Palm is working on.  They are going to announce that in the first week of January at CES 2011 (along with the Palmpad and other devices). 

The Pre 2 was supposed to be released in July of this year but the acquisition by HP tied that up until now.  The Pre 2 is now, essentially just a stop-gap device until they release their new flagship superphone (more than likely no later than 30 days after the announcement at CES).  Sprint may just be waiting it out, they can't really take the risk on the Pre 2 like they did with the Pre.  They will, however carry the new superphone.  I'm holding out for that.

Journeyman

All good points, but I wouldn't be willing to stay if they don't come up with something at CES.  This is about the hardware, not software for me (I'm a PreCentral junkie).

Journeyman

Oh, certainly.  If they don't announce the new superphone at CES, and Sprint still doesn't have the Pre 2, I'm going to Verizon.  But this is highly unlikely.  It is also highly unlikely that Sprint will not carry the new superphone.  Precentral is the shiznit.  Sometimes I run two different precentral apps on my Pre and switch between the two with advanced gestures turned on so I can browse the forums and refresh the homepage at the same time while dropping the browns off at the superbowl at work hahaha.

Journeyman

oh but also, I'm much, much more about webOS than the hardware.  As long as overclocking and patching are alive, I can live with my original Pre until February.  I've had a Pre since June of '09 so the technology will be over 1.5 years old by that point.  webOS is simply better than any other mobile OS.  As long as the hardware is up to par or at least near up to par with the current market, I'm happy, so I'll go with either a Pre2 on whatever carrier or the superphone, doesn't really matter.

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat