cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workaround to Increase Pre Ringer Volume!

Highlighted
Master

Workaround to Increase Pre Ringer Volume!

I have found a workaround to increase the ringer volume on the Pre(From PreCentral.net). All the built in ringers on the Pre are in the /ringtones folder when looking at the Pre as a USB drive. They are all mp3 files. Use a program called MP3 Gain to analyze the db volume level of each file. The files all pretty much had very low db volume levels around 92db. This explains the low ringtone volumes! Use the program to boost the volume levels of each file to 100db. Viola! All the files are now markedly louder and there is no distortion. The MP3 Gain program can be found here: http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/download.php .

(1) Download the topmost version of mp3gain.
(2) Install and run mp3gain.
(3) Attach the Pre to the computer in USB mode.
(4) Copy the ringtones out of the /ringtones folder on the Pre onto a folder on your computer. Keep these as backups.
(5) Make another copy of /ringtones onto your computer. You'll be modifying the versions in this copy.
(6) In mp3gain, "add" all of the files from the directory you will be modifying.
(7) Change "Target Normal Volume" to 100.
(8) Select all of the ringtones shown within mp3gain (such as by clicking on the first and then shift-clicking on the last).
(9) Click "Track Gain." This will modify the ringtone files to the new gain.
(10) Copy the modified ringtone files back into the /ringtones directory on your Pre.
(11) Close any windows you might have open that show the Pre drive (per the above instructions, the mp3gain window shows files on the computer hard drive).
(12) Click on the "safe hardware removal" icon on the lower right (in the icon tray) and select the Pre USB drive (probably always the last drive).
(13) Disconnect the Pre and adjust your ringtone volume on the Pre downward, because it's now going to be too loud.

17 REPLIES 17
Journeyman

Re: Workaround to Increase Pre Ringer Volume!

Thanks, it worked beautifully!! Now, if I could only change the stupidSystem Soundsringtone...

Message Edited by ldybug227 on 06-08-2009 01:41 AM

Journeyman

I made it all the way to step 10.

How do I transfer the files back to my computer? I didn't see a save as or send to option.

Master

You don't have to It modifies the copy of the original(that's why you created a copy)(?didn't you?)

Copy the ringtones out of the /ringtones folder on the Pre onto a folder on your computer. Keep these as backups.
(5) Make another copy of /ringtones onto your computer. You'll be modifying the versions in this copy.

Journeyman

Just so you all know, if you dont already

Pre Central.net has increased the ringer volume and put a zip file toghter for us to download.

All you have to do is plug a usb cable to your computer and palm and copy them to your phone.

That it !

http://www.precentral.net/?page=3

Journeyman

@Levi4u wrote:

The files all pretty much had very low db volume levels around 92db. This explains the low ringtone volumes! Use the program to boost the volume levels of each file to 100db.

Just as an FYI, your dB levels are all messed up:

a jack hammer at 1 meter is 100 dB.

Source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_pressure

Journeyman

Question levi4u....I'm trying to increase the volume of my ringtones and I'm stuck at #4. How do I go about copying my ringtones to a folder on my computer? I know that before when I had a Palm Treo, I was able download a syncingprogram for Palms. Not sure if I need something similar for this. Can you advise? Thanks in advance

Master

Plug your Pre into your PC, Goto Start>My Computer>Double Click/Right Click>"Open" on the drive which is the phone,

Look for a folder named "ringtones" Cut/Paste those into a folder you make on your PC,

Copy/Paste another copy into another folder to keep as originals in case you ever want to put those back on.

Modify one set to replace (drag/drop)into the "Ringtones" folder on the Pre.

Journeyman

Thanks for the reply.I must be doing something wrong. When I have my phone plugged into my pc, it doesn't show it on the 'My Computer' screen for some reason.

Master

It should be the last removable disk listed, For instance mine shows up as "Removable Disk (L)"

Journeyman

Is there a reason why it wouldn't be showing up there?If I insert a cd or diskette, it shows it in the particular drive, but when I plug my Pre in, it doesn't show up. I tried in USB drive, media sync, and charging and it doesn't show.

Master

When you plug in the Pre to the PC do you hear the "Ding" that it's connected? The first time you pluged in the Pre it should have installed the drives needed.

With the Pre connected, Go to "Control Panel>System>Device Manager> on your PC and see if it is listedunder "Disk Drives"Right click on it if it is and make sure the "Use This Device" is "Enabled"

It should be listed when connected as "USB drive or Media Sync"

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat