cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

choosing which Facebook contacts to sync

Highlighted
Journeyman

choosing which Facebook contacts to sync

So, I love the Facebook sync feature - especially how it retrieves photos. My problem is that Ihave a lot of Facebook friends that I don't want in my contacts. Does anyone know if they are working on a way to choose which contacts sync?

I also don't like the fact that you can't delete AIM contacts from your contact list.

Still love the phone!!!

12 REPLIES 12
Journeyman

Re: choosing which Facebook contacts to sync

We've been talking about this on the gmail thread too:

http://forums.buzzaboutwireless.com/baw/board/message?board.id=Issues&thread.id=5

I think we need to have some sort of manual gatekeeper for syngery like a "show all" and a "show favorites" options in the contact list. Between facebook and gmail, I walked out of the sprint store with almost 2500 contacts not good.

Journeyman

Yes, I can imagine this to be especially a nightmare for those who add practically everyone they ever meet on Facebook. I have a few friends who have 300+ people on Facebook; they're also heavy GMail users. Between those two, you're easily looking at thousands upon thousands of contacts, which is just utterly impossible to manage the way the phone presents them.

Somewhere else I suggested that first, it provide the option to only sync a specific contact list(s) from GMail ("My Contacts" by default, the one where YOU have to add a contact, not the automatically-added list). Then, upon initial sync, present you with a list of contacts, each with a checkbox, and two buttons: "Sync selected" and "Sync all but selected" - that function should be obvious. Finally, there should be a setting on the accounts - sync new contacts automatically, or sync manually, where you essentially would run the first-time-sync procedure outlined above again, and choose who you wish to sync.

Do you guys think this is a good idea? I'd love to pass this on to Palm somehow, although hopefully they're already working on a solution 😉

Journeyman

Let's say you end up with 5000+ contacts from all of your accounts. Does this really pose a problem since we have Universal Search? I haven't synced ALL of my accounts yet but I am thinking it might be helpful to have everyone on my phone therefore I always have everything with me. Even if it does take a while to sync everything, since it all can be done in the background with multi-tasking and text entries shouldn't occupy too much space, could there still be a problem?

Journeyman

Sometimes I like to use the phone without pulling out the keyboard... Scrolling through 5-6 pages of contacts is cake... 30-40, not so much.

Yeah it's an issue of laziness/convenience... But if I don't want 3/4 of those "contacts" in the first place, why should I be forced to have them on my phone?

Journeyman

The idea of synergy is great but it certainly has some bugs that need worked out. This and the battery life are bothering me the most. Synergy can be fixed via an OTA update..not sure what to do about battery life. Gonna have to buy a touchstone for home and office and a car charger just to be on the safe side.

Patron

So my wife wanted to check her facebook but I would not let her csuse I figured it would sync her contacts too. Will it do this???? Crappy if so....

Journeyman

To my knowledge, just viewing FB in the browser won't sync contacts. I believe you have to add your FB account to your profile on the phone.

Journeyman

@Doktor Jones wrote:
Sometimes I like to use the phone without pulling out the keyboard... Scrolling through 5-6 pages of contacts is cake... 30-40, not so much.

Yeah it's an issue of laziness/convenience... But if I don't want 3/4 of those "contacts" in the first place, why should I be forced to have them on my phone?

Yes, coming from the Instinct, pulling out the keyboard to type is taking some getting used to! Especially when browsing the web in landscape mode, we have to flip back to portrait, then pull out the keyboard to type. WOW!

Journeyman

Yes Older Palms have a "quicklist" category. I'm missing that.

Journeyman

I just added 2 friends on facebook over 2 hours ago but they have not appeared on my phone. Even when I tried to manually "sync" them... still nothing.

How long does it take for folks to show up on the phone? How often does the automatic sync happen?

Sprint Product Ambassador

Give it a day or so.  Facebook is SLOW.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat