ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is it worth it?

Journeyman

is it worth it?

So I currently have a Samsung M800 (Instinct) and i cant stand it any more, its a horrible phone. I am looking at getting a new phone and the Pre is honestly my first choice. However, as much as I want to like it and think its the best phone sprint has out right now, I cant seem to forget the Thread on here about the screen cracking, the bad battery life, the "hot spot" and other small issues. Having gotten my current phone when it was released for employees (my mom used to work for sprint) i was sorely disappointed after about two months. Im very weary of getting a phone that is still this new and untested. So id like to ask for your opinion, do you think this is a good investment and why? are the problems that have been posted about only affecting a small portion of users or are they very real and widespread issues?

21 REPLIES 21
Journeyman

Re: is it worth it?

I was personally not impressed with the pre. I recently had the phone for a few weeks, and then decided to switch back to my 8330 Curve.

During the time I had the pre, it seemed like Sprint/Palm had worked out many of the initial complaints by early adopters. The battery life was fine, and the build quality issues seemed to be resolved. Many of the issues I had at the time are still being addresses (virtual keyboard and number of apps) and overall the phone worked exactly as advertised, but it was not for me. The bottom line is that the phone has been out for a while now and it is unlikely you will run into many of the same issues that existed when the phone first launched.

I will be taking a chance on the HTC Hero, which comes out on 10/11 - I am hoping that the hardware and software has been refined from the euro version (which the reviews have indicated), but I am prepared for any first generation issues. If you are willing to wait a week, this phone may be a good option as well.

Wizard

There is already some good information pertaining to the Pre on the forums.

I recommend one of the most extensive reviews I have ever seen on a device:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/5720

Here are a couple of other posts I believe are related to your question

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/6043

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/21867

I don't think any of us know the extent of the screen cracking issue. Battery life is fine for me under normal usage. When I first purchased my Pre and was constantly playing with it, I would drain the battery in about 8 hours. Now after 14 to 16 hours I still have about a 50% charge. I believe the first few updates from Palm had some effect on improving battery life.

I feel that a device is a good investment if it will service your needs. The Pre does that for me in its current form, anything that improves this device in the future, be it a new app or a WebOS update will be icing on the cake.

I hope this helps.

Denny

P.S.  Along with all the other things the Pre can do, first and foremost it is a darn good phone. Many other PDA type devices seem to have added the phone as an after thought.

Journeyman

Thanks guys, thats helpful. my main concern right now is the screen cracking. Being a college student, i dont really have the time to stay on hold with sprint "customer care" (like they really care at all) and im not even sure where the nearest sprint store is, probably not within a 30 min drive in any direction. That makes this a major problem for me as my cell phone is my only phone (my room phone doesnt do long distance) and i really cant be without a phone for more than maybe a day. your reassurance on the battery life is, well, reassuring. I charge my phone every night as is, so this shouldnt be a problem.

As for the Hero. Ive looked into it and the major deal breaker is the lack of a physical keyboard. The Instinct that i carry with me now has a virtual keyboard and it makes the whole phone slow. It can sometimes take up to five seconds to load and be useable. ive also used the iTouch, the keyboard on it loads very fast, but lacks haptic feedback which makes it nearly impossible for me to type with any sort of speed or accuracy. So im going to continue to hope that the screen problems with the pre are getting resolved and wait for a little more feedback before i decide.

The last thing id like to ask about is the 5GB "cap" on data. Ive read about how sprint will charge you by the bit after you hit 5GB, has anyone ever hit that in a month? I honestly cant see myself useing more than maybe 1-2GB a month (i only use about half a gig now, but the web browser is so bad i dont hardly ever go online)

Journeyman

Personally I don't forward texts so the need for that option is useless, and I'm sure eventually they will have an update allowing you to do so. But I love the Pre I have had it since July and I have no complaints. As far as the cracking of the screens goes I have read all of the complaints and it sounds like if you don't leave your phone in the sun it won't crack. I live in southern California, the desert part where it gets over 100 degrees so if my phone has managed not to crack as long as you keep it out of the sun it should be fine. I hope this helps.

Journeyman

If touch screen capabilities are a requirement, then just disregard this post.

Honestly, it really depends on what you want to do with the phone. As MzPraise pointed out, there are several simple features missing from the Pre that will probably frustrate you.

If you want a reliable phone the blackberry curve will not let you down. It manages my email, twitter, and facebook needs without any problems and the keyboard is great (the pre's was a bit cramped - but I am 6'10" so my hands are huge). The browser is great for quick searches (google, yahoo, etc...), but not much else.

It would be pretty hard to use 5GB, especially if you are getting a phone that has wifi capabilities and spend any significant amount of time on campus  or using the connection at home. I am a heavy data user on my curve which does not have wifi and I use 1.5GB.

I have some of the same concerns about switching to the Hero. I literally live on my curve and can type on it without looking, but I want to be able to do more and do not want an iPhone or AT&T service. I am prepared to be a bit frustrated with the virtual keyboard (although I hope the haptic feedback will help).

Hoe that helps...

Patron

Well in my oppion, i love the pre. I have alot of apps for it and i have fun being able to mod it out a bit. As far as ur concerns. The screen cracking, I've droped my phone a couple times and had no promblems. if ur still nervous, get a shell case to take some of the brunt of the impact. Now the battery life, it cant be helped much if ur doing alot of web surfing and youtubeing. things like this are high drain for the device. But my battery last at least a day for me anyway. And the so called hot spots. Thats realtively normal. The palm pre is probably border line, needing a fan to cool it. The hotspot ussaly doesnt come up unless i have been using the phone for more then half an hour on the web.

And is it worth it. I'de say it is, ever since the new update came in, their are loads of new free apps and others. You can mod the theme, if u know ur way around computers and forums. The pre also has a very nice internet radio app called pandora that is free to download form the app catolog. The youtube vids have some really good picture quality and the sounds not bad ethier. I've had the phone for a while now and so far the phone gave me one scare where the screen wouldnt show for some reason but the phone was on. a quick removely of the battery for about 10 seconds solved the problem. otehr then that, no major issues except fingerprints. But I have access at work to cleaning products and my pre is ultra clean everyday.

Also if u go to precentral.net, u can get some info on theme changing and other tweeks and stuff that is cool for the pre that alot of people dont know about.

Journeyman

For the moment, I find the Pre the phone I have been looking for. Having 3 seperate must have email accounts, I no longer have to check all three because with the WebOS they are intergrated. Also, I use Outlook at work and through the Mobile EAS for Outlook I can see and update my calendar and tasks from my phone. I can also respond through all email accounts. I like the feature of multi-tasking, such as talking on the phone and checking for anothe contact or updating my calendar, the speaker phone is invaluable.

The navigation feature also allows me to GPS where I'm going or use Google maps. I have nothing but kudos for the Pre and hope that this will be a long-time digital companion. I'm not one to be waiting for the lastest and greatest, I hold out for the one that truly fits, and the Pre is constantly with me and is well used. I've learned how to adapt to the short battery life as there is always a compromise somewhere. The occassional freeze is also tolerable as I have never had a device that didn't freeze.

So is it worth it? Yes, plan rate and features is more that quadruple compared to Verizon at the same price for just basic phone service and minutes. This makes me the winner with the Pre!

Journeyman

So far, I don't recommend it.  I've had mine for about a week and I'm taking it back monday.  The touch screen, which is absolutely necessary to use the phone (I had a Palm Centro before with a touch screen, but also had a navigation button to use before).  The Touch screen does NOT work in dimly lit rooms, such as in a movie or while watching TV in the dark.  I have extreme problems setting the alarm clock if it's DARK out.  Also in the morning, while it iwll let you turn off the phone, I accidentally hit "snooze" and tried to go into the phone to turn the alram off, but it was too dark in the room to make ANY navigation possible.  I was stuck in the water.  I then went into a lit room to try to navigate and the screen totally froze, so I had to shut-down, which is a new feature - like a hard shutdown on my old phone, but I didn't have to remove the battery.

I suppose a total touch phone is not for me.  I liked the combo at first, the touch screen coupled with a real keyboard like my centro had, but I suppose I still need the 5-way nav buttons (4 arrows and an enter button), so I suppose I'll start from ground zero tomorrow.  Luckily I'm still within my "return policy period" so I'll not have to worry about a referb unit.

Hope this helps - hope it's not too late!

Journeyman

I have had the pre since it came out last june. Best phone I have ever owned. As far as using it in the dark, I have never had an issue with the light in the room affecting the touch screen. the touch screen works off of heat from your fingers and has nothing do with light. The only downside to the pre can not play wmv files.

Journeyman

I also can't get it to sink any iTUNES videos. I follow all instructions down to whre it says 'follow itunes instructions' and can't find any itunes instructions that have anything to do with palm or sprint and the phone doesnt show up as a 'devise' any thoughts?

Master

Apple/Itunes broke the abilty to sync, Just plug your phone in and drag and drop the videos onto it.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat