cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Sorry, Too Many Cards" Error Msg.

Go to solution
Journeyman

"Sorry, Too Many Cards" Error Msg.

I just got a Palm Pre, so this may be a simple question (I hope!)...whenever I try to open any of my apps (email, web, games, clock, etc.), I get an error message that says "Sorry, Too Many Cards, Please toss away any you're not using to make room for more."

I'm not sure what to do because I don't have anything else open...at least nothing I can see!?  Am I not closing something properly?  Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: "Sorry, Too Many Cards" Error Msg.

I have gad my Pre for almost 4 months now and i still get that message sometimes. there seems to be a memory leak in a few of the apps that takes up too much of the phones RAM, this should fix itself if you give the phone a couple of minutes to just sit, sometimes this can be faster than actually resetting the phone. also, if you have the right patch (available through PreWare) you can reset the Java Services, this should also help. lastly you can reset the phone, this will start your RAM off clean and you should have no problems, but as I'm sure you know that can be a fairly long wait. I hope this helps and the update to 1.4 that we are all waiting for should help this. it seems that the Web Browser is the biggest culprit here, i try not to keep mine open longer than i need it for, that has seemed to help as i rarely get that message anymore.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Journeyman

I am also getting this on my Pixi. Try restarting the phone. If that doesn't work press and hold "Oragne Key + Sym + R" at the same time and that resets your phone. I am hoping the new 1.4 update helps this error. We Will see February 15.

Brent Richardson

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have gad my Pre for almost 4 months now and i still get that message sometimes. there seems to be a memory leak in a few of the apps that takes up too much of the phones RAM, this should fix itself if you give the phone a couple of minutes to just sit, sometimes this can be faster than actually resetting the phone. also, if you have the right patch (available through PreWare) you can reset the Java Services, this should also help. lastly you can reset the phone, this will start your RAM off clean and you should have no problems, but as I'm sure you know that can be a fairly long wait. I hope this helps and the update to 1.4 that we are all waiting for should help this. it seems that the Web Browser is the biggest culprit here, i try not to keep mine open longer than i need it for, that has seemed to help as i rarely get that message anymore.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have reported this to management and will update this post as more information becomes available. Thanks for sharing this with the Community.

Highlighted
Journeyman

wait, youve just now reported this? this is a problem that is much like the Battery issues, well documented on many different web sites. perhaps they already know of this but why then would it be reported again? im just a little confused as to how this whole reporting problems to management works but it seems as though sprint has been a little slow on this one.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Although this may be a known issue, the Community helps heighten awareness on these problems internally to help get resolution communicated to our members/customers.

Highlighted
Master

I do want to mention that Palm obviously knows about the issue and have for a while now (They do monitor PreCentral and their own forums). However, reminding them from within Sprint that the issue is happening and customers are mentioning it may get them to work on it faster.

That being said the Too Many Cards Open error is probably related to a memory leak somewhere, in some application. Memory leaks are terribly difficult to track down and correct because they don't necessarily show themselves constantly. Until the issue is resolved, the best workaround is simply to restart the device since that would clear out the RAM completely.

Highlighted
Wizard

I've noticed in my use the incorrect "too many cards" complaint often comes after using the browser - I suspect it is not properly "releasing" the memory it has used, and just keeps grabbing more and more until the system say "Enough!"

(Yes, this had been a problem since v1.0, but so far the only thing Palm has seemed able to do is to increase the amount of memory and number of cards the system will let apps get away with before it baulks in one of their updates.)

So far, I've usually been able to get past this by shutting down all apps and starting over...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the same problem and I've had the phone from the time it came out.

I forgot on the original video that it claimed how many pages you can open at the same time but whatever it was my phone has yet to do it.

I think Palm has been too busy putting out their new Palm Pre 2 that has 16GB instead of 8 and spaced out keys like we all complained about.

I'm just wondering if the people that just bought the Pre 2 is having the same problems oh I forgot Sprint doesn't have Pre 2 yet nevertheless, I'll just go back to HTC atleast when it crashes I know what it is and how to resolve the problem.

Palm is starting to compare to Toyota get out the way it's going to fail.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Raven714 wrote:

I have the same problem and I've had the phone from the time it came out.

I forgot on the original video that it claimed how many pages you can open at the same time but whatever it was my phone has yet to do it.

I think Palm has been too busy putting out their new Palm Pre 2 that has 16GB instead of 8 and spaced out keys like we all complained about.

I'm just wondering if the people that just bought the Pre 2 is having the same problems oh I forgot Sprint doesn't have Pre 2 yet nevertheless, I'll just go back to HTC atleast when it crashes I know what it is and how to resolve the problem.

Palm is starting to compare to Toyota get out the way it's going to fail.

Palm, Toyota whats the diffrence? This is getting old. It's not just the Pre. It's also the Pixi. I think that Verizon Palm Pre/Pixi 2 people are having the same problems. Or are those the better versions? Maybe that's why were getting the 1.4 update if that even exists. Palm, you disappoint me.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've had this problem off and on since I got the Pre in July '09. It's frustrating, because it says there are too many cards open when none are open at all. I always have to reboot the phone by taking out the battery. The bootup time is embarrassingly long for a cell phone/ smart phone. I've booted both a computer and the Pre up at the same time and the computer booted faster - and it was running WIN 2K. Sad.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Maybe Palm will do a recall like Toyota "I can see it now"! Sprint stores will stay open 24/7 to resolve the problems world wide, aaaaaand I'm back to earth now! lol

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat