cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC 10 - Battery Optimization for Games, Including Pokemon GO - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Hey again, everyone!

(If photos appear compressed on a mobile device, please click the photo to open in a new tab/window for better viewing) 

It’s time for an obligatory Pokémon GO-themed blog!  I have long been a fan of Pokémon, as you may have noticed in some of my prior videos, and I couldn’t be happier with the official release of Pokémon GO.  With the explosion of the game in the last week, I have heard numerous inconveniences surrounding battery life when utilizing the application.  Therefore, I wanted to take a minute to tie in Pokémon GO to the HTC 10 and how you can extend your play via numerous built-in features of the HTC 10. 

Pokemon GO Graphic.png

(Image Source: LINK)

Not familiar with Pokémon GO?  Just perform quick Google search for it, or simply GO to Niantic’s (developer) website here

What happened to my battery life??

So you’ve just walked around your neighborhood or the downtown area of your city in search of PokéStops, Gyms and Pokémon, and noticed that your battery life quickly went from 100% to 30% in a relatively short period of time.  What happened?

Well, Pokémon GO is a heavy battery drainer at this time because it utilizes numerous functions of your device at once to provide the best experience possible.  The game utilizes your screen, GPS, audio output, cellular data, vibrate motor and camera constantly throughout play.  Each of these services require additional battery resources, and the more you use them, the faster the battery will deplete. One drawback to the Pokémon GO app is that you must have it opened if you want to catch any Pokémon, therefore the screen severely depletes your battery life. You can help extend your battery life, however, which ultimately extends your Pokémon GO playing time – You need more time to defeat that Gym and ensure your Pokémon is available for all to see and lose against, right?

Battery Usage.png

Ways to improve battery life on HTC 10:

There are numerous ways to extend the battery life on the HTC 10 while playing Pokémon GO, or any game for that matter.  Here are a few ways:

• Utilize the built-in battery saver mode in Pokémon GO (in settings and outlined below)
  • Turn off Augmented Reality (use of your device’s camera) in Pokémon GO 
  • Turn down your screen brightness on your device
  • Turn on Power Saver in battery settings on your device 
  • Utilize Boost+ app on your device to optimize battery life during play

Utilize built-in battery saver mode in Pokémon GO:

Pokémon GO has a native battery saver mode built into the settings of the application.  All you need to do is click the Poké Ball on the bottom of the screen, click Settings in the upper right corner, and check Battery Saver. The power saving mode turns the screen black when you turn it upside down in a vertical position to extend battery life, but your game is still active at the same time.  

Note that there are reports that this does not work on all handsets, and I have personally experienced issues when using this feature on my HTC 10.  The device will GO into the power saving mode and when I attempt to use the application, the touchscreen will not work within the application.  The touchscreen works everywhere else, except for Pokémon GO, which leads me to believe it’s an app bug. Hopefully this will be fixed in a future update to the application.

Pokemon GO Settings.pngPokemon Go Battery Saver.png

Turn off Augmented Reality in Pokémon GO 

You can turn off Augmented Reality in Pokémon GO when you’re in the middle of an attempt to capture a Pokémon.  In the upper right corner, you can click the AR button to turn off the use of your device’s camera. This will show this and future Pokémon in a game-like landscape more representative of a traditional Pokémon experience.  This can help extend your battery life as your device’s camera will not be in constant use when capturing Pokémon.  

AR On.pngAR Off.png

Turn down your screen brightness: 

You can also turn down the screen brightness on your HTC 10 by swiping down in your notification tray and sliding to the left to lower the brightness.  Alternatively, you can access this via Settings > Display, gestures & buttons > Brightness Level

Turn on Power Saver in battery settings:

Another way to extend battery life is to turn on the Power Saver feature under your battery settings. To access this, GO to Settings > Power > Power Saver 

This option allows you to optimize battery life by conserving CPU usage, limiting location services, automatically reduces brightness (so you can skip the previous step) and turns off haptic feedback when touching the soft buttons on the device. You can either have it turn on at a specific battery level of 5%, 10%, 15%, 20% or 50%, or you can slide the switch to the right to turn it on immediately.  I have confirmed that this does not impact the use of Pokémon GO GPS services to a great extent, although YMMV and it could cause some delayed GPS tracking while walking around or when accessing PokéStops or Gyms.  Also, the HTC 10 has the ability to use an Extreme Power Saving Mode, but this limits numerous functions and will likely disable your ability to utilize Pokémon GO. 

Battery Settings.pngBattery Power Saving Settings.png

Utilize Boost+ app to optimize battery: 

Finally, you can utilize a pre-loaded application to help optimize battery life during game play. The HTC 10 has Boost+ preinstalled, and this application can help you clear up memory, speed up device performance, delete cached files, lock applications, and boost battery performance while playing games.  Details on Boost+ can be found in the Play Store at this link. 

You may have noticed a notification in your tray when you update a game from the Play Store asking you to optimize battery life with that app via Boost+.  This typically shows up when downloading/updating games, although it does not automatically do so for Pokémon GO.  

To utilize Boost+, navigate to your applications and look for the green icon with a lightning bolt in the center. From there, click on Game battery booster to access identified games or apps that were automatically tagged as “games” by Boost+ during installation/update.  If your application doesn’t show up, click the + icon in the upper right.  From here, you can scroll through and select one or multiple applications, such as Pokémon GO, and add it to the list of application that will be optimized during use.  Once you’re back at the list of games, simply slide the switch to the right to turn on battery optimization while using the application.  

Once you turn the switch on, you will likely get a pop-up asking you to open the application to verify if the game functions correctly while using Boost+.  If it does not look right or perform properly, you will want to disable Boost+ for that game – This has proven to work well with Pokémon GO thus far.

Boost+ Icon.pngBoost + App.pngBoost+ Optimization.pngBoost+ Optimization Message.png

External Battery Pack:

Sometimes extending your battery life just isn’t enough, even though the HTC 10 provides numerous ways to do so.  There are times when you need more power, and thankfully Sprint has some solutions for you to give you power while on the GO. 

An external battery pack is a worthwhile investment for almost anyone who uses their phones on a constant basis, even if you’re not playing Pokémon GO.  I have an external battery because I need it at concerts, while on hikes, at the beach, while camping, on planes, etc.  There are endless uses for an external battery pack, and the cost quickly pays for itself over a short amount of time.  

Here are some options offered by Sprint to keep you up and running while on the go:

Power Pack Slim 5100 (5100mAh battery) - $79.99 

Powerocks Super Magicstick (3000mAh) - $19.99 

TYLT ENERGI Desktop Charging Station (Multi-USB) (Multi-charging station that includes portable 3,200mAh external battery!) - $79.99 

mophie power reserve 1X (2,600mAh) - $34.99 

Mophie powerstation 3X (6,000mAh) - $79.99 

Phonesuit Journey All-in-One Portable Charger (3,500mAh) - $79.99 

So, now that you know how to extend your battery life, you can defend/defeat that Gym just a little bit longer, or you can wander aimlessly down the streets in search of that elusive Pokémon, or you can hang out at a PokéStop and drop lure modules for hours.  The choice is yours, but whatever you do, make sure you Catch ‘Em All!   

Note that many of these battery saving options are able to be used across multiple games or scenarios and are not specifically associated with Pokémon GO; however, with my love for all things Pokémon, and the explosive popularity of Pokémon GO recently, I wanted to tie the two together for a fun blog and an excuse to talk about Pokémon!

As always, thank you for reading.  Comment below with your experiences with the HTC 10’s power saving features or Pokémon GO!

Valor.png

(Image credit: Specterwolf)

Until next time!

~ Troy

- The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

Nintendo, Pokémon, and Niantic are trademarks of their respective owners.  This blog is not sponsored, nor endorsed, by the trademark owners noted in the post. Any mention to a trademark owner is based on personal usage and not a professional relationship/endorsement/sponsorship.

2 Comments