cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC 10 - HTC Motion Launch Gestures - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Hey again, everyone!

(If images appear compressed on mobile long-press and open images in new tab/window to see full image) 

I received a new device a couple of weeks ago that I have been excited to get my hands on -- the HTC 10!

I have not used an HTC phone in about two years, so I was anxious to get my hands on the HTC 10.  I had read some pretty amazing reviews of the device, so I knew HTC must have done it again.  The truth is, HTC did very well with this device and it is a much improved version of the M7, M8, and M9 rolled into one.  However, this blog doesn't focus on that, this blog in particular focuses on the use of gestures to complete certain actions with the device. As my blog installments come out, you'll see that I touch on various features of the HTC 10 that quickly catapulted it into my preferred device lineup!

Gestures - What are they?

Gestures allow you to use your fingers to swipe or slide to access various features on a device.  Many manufacturers have started to include gestures to make using a phone just a bit easier and more convenient.  Some manufacturers allow you to take a screenshot with a gesture, while others allow you to unlock the phone.  HTC has added a few useful gestures that allow quick access to items you want.

HTC 10 Gestures

HTC calls its gestures "Motion Launch Gestures" just so that we have the proper nomenclature here. The HTC 10 allows you to utilize five Motion Launch Gestures and they are

1. Double tap to wake up & sleep
  2. Swipe up to unlock
  3. Swipe left to go to Home screen
  4. Swipe right to launch Blinkfeed
  5. Swipe down twice to open Camera

Turning on Motion Launch Gestures:

The Motion Launch Gestures allow you quickly access content, turn the device screen on or off or open your camera in a snap.  Keep in mind, however, that a lock code/pin/pattern/fingerprint will need to be entered to access the device (except Camera) when using Gestures.

You can access the Motion Launch Gestures by heading to Settings > Display, gestures & buttons > Motion Launch Gestures. 

Screenshot_20160708-173002.png

Screenshot_20160708-173010.png

You're then presented with the five options that you may enable as you see fit.  The upper half of the screen demonstrates the use of that gesture, as well as provides a brief explanation for how it works.

You can see a few of those here:

Screenshot_20160708-173020.png

Screenshot_20160708-173025.pngScreenshot_20160708-173032.png

The gestures offered by HTC are useful to me in my everyday use of the device.  I can quickly unlock the screen without having to press the power button, I can turn on the screen with a double tap to see any missed notifications, and I can access my camera in a flash.  Having Blinkfeed on quick access is nice as well because I can quickly check in on social media activities without having to launch separate applications. 

The use of gestures is dependent on how you use your phone, and they may not be something you use all the time or even want to use.  I know many people who love them, but I also know some people who prefer not to use them or simply choose not to.  For example, my wife has Samsung Galaxy S7 where she is able to swipe the screen for a screenshot, yet she chooses to use the button combination out of habit. YMMV on how often you use Motion Launch Gestures, if you choose to at all.  However, having the ability to enable these features is nice and provides a level of convenience to the end-user!

That's it for this blog, but keep your eyes open for additional blogs from me over the next few weeks, as well as blogs from my counterparts!  We're all very excited for this device and have a lot of information to share!

As always, thank you for reading.  How do you feel about gestures?  Do you use them, or do you find them to be inconvenient? Let me know in the comments below!

Until next time!

~ Troy

- The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee