cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8xt not playing MP3 files over USB to Ford Sync

Journeyman

8xt not playing MP3 files over USB to Ford Sync

How can I get my 8xt to play my MP3 files through a USB connection to my car audio system (Ford Sync)? When I try, I get the voice response saying that "this device cannot play digitally protected music through USB". I created al the MP3s from my CD collection, so there is no DRM on them. My normal MP3 player plays through USB just fine. I can play from the phone over Bluetooth or headphones, but I lose a lot of fidelity and search capabilities using Bluetooth, and driving with headphones is not exactly a preferred method...  Is there a setting somewhere on the phone that I can change?

7 REPLIES 7
Master

Re: 8xt not playing MP3 files over USB to Ford Sync

PeterinKCMO,

Thank you for reaching out. Unfortunately because these are not coming from the original source, the CD, the system cannot determine that the music came from the CD. This means that the DRM certificate is not on the device. Because the system is not registering the DRM certificate it will not be able to play the music.

*Stephanie B
Sprint Social Care Team
Journeyman

The problem is, it does play through either headphones or Bluetooth, just not over USB.

Master

PeterinKCMO,

The music will play through headphones and bluetooth as they do not look for the DRM certificate like the car stereo is.

*Stephanie B
Sprint Social Care Team
Journeyman

So my Zune HD, which has some of the same files, plays fine through the USB. I was hoping I could use my phone, which has more available storage, in a similar fashion. It just seems strange to me that a newer device doesn't work.

Master

PeterinKCMO,

Have you tried connecting the phone via USB to an other device/computer to see if you get the same results? Please let me know.

Thank you,

KC
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

When I connect to my computer through USB, all my music shows up in the music folder on the SD card, and I can play it with no problem.

Master

PeterinKCMO,

Hmm. This is strange. Do you happen to have an adapter to plug the SD card into the USB port in your car? This may change the outcome when the SD card is outside of the device. Let me know if this helps.

*Andi R.
Sprint Social Care Team
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat