cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error installing update 0x80188308

Highlighted
Journeyman

Error installing update 0x80188308

I'm getting this every time I attempt to install the l latest update..

"Can't update phone.  It's probably a temporary problem. To try again, go to Settings > Phone Update. "  (0x80188308)

0x80188308 is not documented anywhere that I can find.

Can someone tell me what this error code means and what I need to do to fix it?   I have 410MB free space on the phone.. Way more on the SD card..

Bryan

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Journeyman

I am having the same problem! The update is to fix the rebooting issue on my phone. My wife has the same phone and the same problem! I really don't want to do a restore to factory! But I am about out of options!

Highlighted
Journeyman

0x80188308 error at Critical Update for phone reboot issue - Microsoft Community

We're all basically hosed for a bit.  Microsoft is working on a fix.  It's a partition sizing error on the HTC 8X and 8XT.  We need at least 5.5gb of space, which is impossible on our 8XT model.  The 8X people are muddling through it doing hard resets of their phones.  I tried this and it was a no go.  I would recommend taking the time to move all your apps (through storage sense) to the SD card, and getting your phone down to just the OS mostly. Consider it spring cleaning.  

I think the process will basically go like this.  Microsoft writes a fix, and eventually releases it to Sprint.  Sprint gets the fix, and immediately goes on vacation.  Then they come back from vacation and see the fix came in from Microsoft, and coordinate an action committee to plan the implementation process.  After that meeting, they schedule another meeting with a bunch of lead engineers to discuss the problem.  The lead engineers schedule a meeting with the working staff who actually fix things.  Then they all go on vacation again.  Meanwhile, about 2 months have gone by, so they figure they better start from square one again to make sure they are going about it the right way.

I think you get the idea.  It could take Sprint months to care about us Windows users and upload the solution to the network.  It is now June 25th.  It will be interesting to see just how long it takes to fix this problem.  

Highlighted
Journeyman

I also did a hard reset.  After moving all my music and photo's and apps to my SD, I got my phone over 4.6gb.  Make sure you back everything up before doing a hard reset.  Once you do the reset, apps will more than likely install back to the phone, so backup first, then hard reset, then move the apps and restore the music and photo's to the SD (if you bother storing any photo's locally).  The music can also store on the One drive if you wish.  I've thought about moving my music to there permanently. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Capture.JPG

Andrea, did the hard reset work?   Did you follow the 6/24 instructions from the moderator over at Microsoft Answers?

Bryan

Highlighted
Journeyman

No, it won't install.  Microsoft needs to modify the download to work on an 8gb phone.  Right now it wants a minimum of 5.5gb from what I can tell, which is impossible on our phones due to the limited capacity of the 8XT.  We have to wait it out.  Who knows how long this process will take.  The download has to go through a bunch of red tape before Sprint adds it to their network for us to download.  I just keep thinking how long it took for them to give us the 8.1 update. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

The hard reset can really help clean the phone up though, and get it ready for future updates.  So I didn't consider a total waste of time trying to install it.   

Highlighted
Journeyman

What's the status on this update error?   Tomorrow is the deadline to install it before it begins to install itself.. and fail..

Will my phone begin and endless loop of installing, failing, installing? 

I'm getting sick of the increasingly frequent update notices on the phone..

Is there any word from Sprint on this problem?  It is Sprint that I have a contract with, not Microsoft.

Bryan

Highlighted
Journeyman

Every time I come to these forums looking for some sliver of support for my Windows phone, I wind up wondering why I haven't already switched carriers.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am having the same issue, but my thing is every time I need ANYTHING from sprint I have to do it via BBB to get ANYTHING done... this is getting ridiculous, I can tell you I had the President of the company on speed dial at one point....

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat