cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn by turn navigation?

SOLVED
Journeyman

Turn by turn navigation?

My plan includes Sprint Navigation and on my previous phone, the HTC Arrive, I used the Telenav software and it worked pretty well.

Now on the 8XT, the Scout software is installed, but it does not seem to provide the same function as Telenav did. I can not figure out how to make it give me spoken turn by turn directions, whenever I select that function, it wants me to sign up for an additional for-pay service even though this service is already included in my plan.

Has anyone figured this out, I have not found anything in the documentation yet.

Thanks!

iq

Tags (3)
21 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Turn by turn navigation?

I've was wondering the same thing too while on a road trip this weekend.

Haven't figured anything out yet, but if I do, I'll be more than happy to share.

Journeyman

I am not liking the way this is going:

Used web chat to ask about this Nav question, the agent did not know what to do and asked me to call Sprint tech support.

Support rep and supervisor did not know what to do and asked me to call Telenav tech support.

Telenav is rather busy it appears and I am tired of waiting on hold now.

Will update if I learn anything new.

iq

Journeyman

Alright, I did talk to Telenav support and here is what I was told:

Sprint stopped paying Telenav for the service that is the voice turn by turn directions.

The free Scout software that is pre-installed on the 8XT does not provide turn by turn voice directions.

What Scout does provide after setting a route and clicking 'Directions' is a list of directions.

This function will simply *ding* at you when you come near a turn and then you are supposed to look at the screen (while hopefully avoiding to crash and perish in a ball of fire) to see what turn you are supposed to make, left, right, whatever. There is NO voice output!

Obviously this is unacceptable and not a viable option to use while driving.

Sprint, my plan includes navigation and my previous phone, the HTC Arrive used Telenav software to provide this function at no additional charge to me. I expect that you continue to provide this service to me on the 8XT, since my plan has not changed!

iq

Journeyman

Go with MapQuest it has free voice naviagtion.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint did the bait and switch with Scout.  Sprint devotes 2 pages to Scout and no mention that is now a pay service.  Beware, by default it signs you up for $4.99 a month.  Delete Scout and install MapQuest.  Make sure you cancel the Scout account to aviod a $4.99 monthly charge.  Then delete Scout from your phone.  Also give Sprint a call to complain.

icyquid and others,

Regarding the Telenav Scout app on the HTC 8XT, I brought this to the attention of our internal product managers. In the meantime if you are looking for free turn-by-turn navigation, there are free apps available through the Windows Phone App Store. I will provide you guys with more insight as soon as possible.

*Julian

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

According to TeleNav voice-guided navigation is part of the
premium package. So, its free as long as you pay for it. It did not take sprint
long to incorporate banker doublespeak. I imagine more banker doublespeak in
store for the future with Softbank running the show.

From Sprint Web Page:

"Join millions of drivers and get free voice-guided navigation using the power of Scout - award-winning
personalized navigation and traffic for your daily journey."

Yes! You can have free voice-guided navigation for $4.99 a month plus tax.

Journeyman

Thank you for the suggestion Tovip2000, I installed MapQuest and will try it out.

Journeyman

Thank you for your response, Julian.

I am by no means married to Scout. It does seem like a nice application and I wanted to use it. That was based on the facts that it was pre-installed on the phone, leading me to the assumption that it was the replacement for Telenav which I had on my Arrive.

When I discovered that an additional fee was demanded to have Scout on the 8XT provide the functionality that Telenav GPS provided on the Arrive, given that Sprint Navigation is listed as included in my plan, I was naturally unsatisfied.

I look forward to the outcome of this and also had an extended exchange about this with the social team behind @sprintcare on twitter.

Meanwhile, I will use MapQuest and see how that works, it looks promising at first glance.

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.