Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Phone 8.1 upgrade on the 8XT?

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Windows Phone 8.1 upgrade on the 8XT?

Now that Windows Phone 8.1 has been announced, are there any timelines on when the 8XT will get the upgrade?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Master

HughZoid - Unfortunately, we do not have any exact information on the software update. You can stay updated by visiting sprint.com, selecting the community tab, and then select the device forum. - Johnice
Sprint Social Care

View solution in original post

48 REPLIES 48
Highlighted
Master

FamiliaGouty

Thanks for your post. There is no timeline available for the 8XT to receive a software update. You can visit the HTC Sprint community page for up to date device information. http://bit.ly/MyVLs9

I'm happy to assist if you need more information.

Robin
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Highlighted
Journeyman

Microsoft has already released the Developer Preview for Windows Phone 8.1, but I would recommend that you only get it if you know how to handle your own bugs. The only difference between the Preview and the Official Sprint release is that Sprint and HTC also update required firmwares to optimize the Phone. Also if you download the Preview, you may void your phones warranty (which Sprint didn't even offer me for the phone).

I won't link how to get the Dev Preview because if you know what you're doing, you'll know how to get it .

I already upgraded my HTC 8XT and have been using WP8.1 for a while now and HTC really needs to work on optimizing the battery life because I went from having a 9-hr battery life to 6 hrs with the same usage.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I know exactly what you mean about battery life. I use to get a whole day on my Samsung Ativ S Neo but now I get 12 hours of battery life. This update is in beta so that could change. Disabling some apps to run in the background also works. WP8.1 is great but I'm still waiting on a Nokia variant for Sprint. I have a video on here showing how to get the Windows 8.1 update and other things. Its true you could void your warranty if you brick your phone but Microsoft said its slim to none of that happening and so far it hasn't happened to anyone. If anyone here don't want to wait for the end of the summer to get the update, just look at my video at how to get it now. Also, if you get the update now, your phone will still be able to get the Sprint version that suppose to be released at the end of the summer. Hopefully Sprint developers will update the Visual Voicemail in the Windows Phone Store

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just like everyone else sprint also gives me the run around when it comes to any questions about Windows phones. Online, on the phone or in the store. I try to find when my 8XT will get 8.1 and i can't even be narrowed down to a basic time frame. So i tried to do the preview and i got 3 small updates which i read are the stepping stones to move it to 8.1 and that after they installed i should get one more that contained the 8.1...  I have been waiting almost 2 months for this last part of the update. My phone is stuck in the middle in windows 8.0.5  I'm due for upgrades in 2 days and part of me wanted to give the ATIV S Neo a try since i hear that all new windows sprint phones are preloaded with 8.1 and it has the slightly bigger screen and more memory. But then part of me wonders if it's worth staying

Highlighted
Master

Good morning brillfamily2011,

There haven't been any announcements yet on when the software will be updated for the 8XT device. When the software is released, it does come from the manufacturer and it is released out in stages. You can keep an eye out for any updates at Sprint.com by searching for the 8XT.

Hope this helps,
*Heather
Sprint Social Media Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Dear Heather,

The WindowsPhone 8.1 O/S upgrade has been released as of June 24, 2014.  Microsoft states the update falls upon the carrier to push the upgrade to devices, and HTC corroborates this statement.  To date, the HTC 8XT O/S has not been upgraded to WP 8.1.  When can we end users expect to receive this upgrade?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint has indicated it will be released this summer. Perhaps we need to send a calendar to Sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

What I found out from HTC is that the 8.1 update has nothing to do with Sprint or HTC at this point.  They are waiting on Microsoft to officially release it to them for distribution.  It makes sense really.  Microsoft was probably still debugging while giving developers a chance to upgrade their apps.  Microsoft already has bad press for a weak app list, so the last thing I imagine they'd want is worse news on the app front.  Personally, I could care less about a large selection of apps.  99.99% of android and mac apps are useless anyway.  The .01% that are useful are pretty much available across all 3 platforms.  As for the 8.1 update, it'll get here when it gets here.  Yes, I'm excited.  Yes, I'm impatient.  Yes, I'm frustrated.  At the end of the day though, how important is it really?  It's just a cell phone which we're all paying too much for every month regardless of the platform.  I make a few calls, send a few texts, check my email, and occasionally use a handful of useful apps.  I can still do all that on 8.          

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, technically, they have until September 22, at 10:29 P.M. EDT 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Microsoft released the code to the manufacturers on March 26th, 2014... 

http://www.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-81-already-manufacturers-hands

Now we wait for Samsung and HTC to release to Sprint, and then Sprint to push the update to us?

Holding breath.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat