Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Phone 8.1 upgrade on the 8XT?

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Windows Phone 8.1 upgrade on the 8XT?

Now that Windows Phone 8.1 has been announced, are there any timelines on when the 8XT will get the upgrade?

48 REPLIES 48
Highlighted
Master

APOCALYPSEAD - Thanks for sharing that information and being apart of our Sprint community. - Andy
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

I shouldn't be surprised after the hurry up and wait I did for the phone itself, but it still gets old. Windows is Sprint's red-headed stepchild.

Highlighted
Master

fouroclockbandit,

I definitely understand your concern. Were you able to get the update? Please let me know. I'm here to help.

Josh
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Here's a good article that I found, as I am also waiting for this update. I'm not sure if the problem has actually been completely resolved, or if they found out another one. You might have to do a factory reset (DON'T do that unless there is nothing that you need and are okay with downloading everything again, because I don't think it will actually fix the problem.) There is no mention of 8XT, but since the other phones are very similar I'm guessing it's the same problem.  They also don't give any kind of timeline, but it looks like the problem will take weeks, instead of months to fix.

Windows Phone 8.1 Update Errors for HTC 8X and HTC 8S Fixed; Low Storage Still Persists - Internatio...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've never wanted something so bad lol All i want to do is save apps on my sd card so i can actually use my phone.

Highlighted
Master

merker454,

Is the update preventing you from transferring information from your device to the SD card?

Keith
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Currently on Windows 8, the SD card can only be used for pictures, movies and music (I think). The update to Windows 8.1 will allow users to store apps on their SD card as well. I'm not sure how fast the transfer rate is while running an app from the SD card, which is why I think they originally only allowed it on the phone itself.

For me this is a huge deal, as a I'm an avid gamer and I've bought EVERY Xbox Live enabled game. However, since the phone only holds around 3 or 4 GB, I can't even play some of the newer games without deleting almost everything. Most of them are around 800 MB to over a GB. I have an shiny new SD card just sitting in the slot, waiting to be filled. In the meantime htc is lagging way behind on this update.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Be especially cautious of the unfounded statement that no one has had any problems with the windows phone update. This community blog and the internet are full of problems individuals have had after updating their Windows Phone to the 8.1 developers update. These range from bricked phones to inaccessible memory to voicemail issues and just plain screwed up unusable phones all voiding the warrentee. These problems are not hard to find here or else ware.

And about Sprint updated by the summer?  There is 1 week and 6 days left to the summer and no update from Sprint.

Other carriers? All done in Europe , India, down under  and now the US (last to be updated) except one US carrier. (Microsoft released the code to manufactures on March 24, 2014, and to US carriers in May of 2014.)

Highlighted
Journeyman

HTC is having a big conference in New York today, so hopefully we hear some good news. By the way, I was reading around and I found an article that HTC is updating the 8X but not the 8S. I couldn't find any information about the 8XT. I'm becoming a little worried because the 8XT has less memory than the 8X. Has anyone heard anything??

Only HTC 8X to receive update for Windows Phone 8.1|Companies|Business|WantChinaTimes.com

Highlighted
Journeyman

The last day of Summer is September 22, 2014 That's how long Sprint has.

I shall reword the statement with "NO ONE HAS HAD ANY PROBLEMS UPDATING TO 8.1 UPDATE 1 BESIDES SOME CUSTOMERS WITH HTC WINDOWS PHONES." There are customers with faulty devices, and there are customers with well working devices. Others and myself have had a great experience. I hope the problem is solved for those who are having problems with their BETAs. The issue for some Sprint customers is the Roaming issues. Some people who have had those problems have had it fixed. There are different solutions. I will post five of them here. As far as Visual Voice Mail goes, that is an app issue that Sprint will have to fix and update in the Windows Phone store. I have no problems with V V M on 8.1, but it is still buggy. Every carrier has different complaints by customers and BETA testers on Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc. The one main complaint on all carriers are the HTC phones, but some of those are getting fixed. Windows Phone just got another update to Windows Phone 8.1 (8.10.14157.200). For those who are updating for the first time, do not do a hard reset! And when you get the developer preview, you will be able to get the long awaited official Sprint version of Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1. Here are the five solutions for one of the problems with Sprint customers.

Solution 1.

ANAJEEJONES replied (in response to APOCALYPSEAD) 1 day ago

I figured it out. There was no problem with my OS; the phone was faulty. I had them replace the phone(for free, I might add), install all windows phone 8 updates and then I put the Dev back on it with all updates. It is working awesomely now. Thanks for the advice, Apocalypsead. As for sprint customer care, you guys need to get on the ball. There should be no reason why your subscribers should have more product knowledge than you! If we asked you a question about Android, iOS or even Blackberry you would be able to support it. Like it or not, you guys need to get trained and updated on how to support a Windows Phone. And you may ask yourself who am I and why do I feel this way: I am a former trainer for Sprint who made sure that all of my classes were on their game concerning all products that we supported.

Solution 2.

My MMS wasn't working either and I got that Error 225 not activated message.  Did the ##72786# reset and it didn't work..Then I got on the phone with Steve (2nd line of support) and Steve fixed it. When he looked at the account, there was nothing wrong.  Here's what he did:

turn off phone

Steve blocked MMS on my account

Steve un-blocked MMS on my account

turn phone on

Phone updated profile

able to send MMS now

That Steve is a good guy to know....

Solution 3.

Currently Being Moderated

Hey Buel, I was in the same boat, but you can try this: Use Cortana, search for "Network Profile" - swipe to the left once to bring up search results on the phone, click on "Network Profile" - this takes you to the *missing* Network Profile settings page.

Source:

HTC 8XT - Sprint - Windows Phone 8.1 - Update PRL?

This works for some people. Good luck!

Solution 4.

• How I got data (Profile Update) to work on my 8XT, items covered/tried while on the phone with Sprint/HTC
  1. Found that the "Update Network Profile" selection was missing after the hard reset.
  2. Did ##786# to get into Service Tools, > selected MSL, input password 508214, selected MSL again, selected than inputted the MDN than MSID that Sprint gave me than hit save. Phone will reset. Spent about 30 minutes with Sprint without getting data back.

3. Called HTC for help, they had me pull the SIM (which rebooted the phone),  several minutes after power up re-inserted the SIM, phone than rebooted itself. Entered ##UPDATE# on keypad and the phone than reloaded the network profile and data was back. Have kept the WIFI off and the phone has been great, only issue still working is how to get notification for waiting voice mail.

Solution 5.

This is something I over herd in the Sprint store from two customers conversation. Have Wifi connected while doing the ##786# and then do a Device self service from the settings > activate your device. The whole process may take several attempts before it works.

wp_ss_20140820_0001.png

wp_ss_20140820_0002.png

Highlighted
Master

Thank you for your post. - Fernendez
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

I believe APOLCALYPSEAD's post pertains to the windows 8.1 update 1. This is not a problem for Windows 8XT users, as we do not have access to Windows 8.1 at all.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat