Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

voicemail icon not working

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: voicemail icon not working

GDR3 is microsoft's latest OS update for WP8.  It seems as though sprint/htc have started pushing this update out to HTC 8XT devices (before a lot of other carriers/devices).  On your device, go to settings>phone update.  Us Samsung ATIV S Neo users will have to wait as sprint/samsung hasn't released it yet.

For anyone that has updated to this on their 8XT, please report back asap if the voicemail notification issue is fixed!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just ran the update.  Took about 30 minutes to download and install.  You can only do it over WIFI.  Won't download over the Sprint Cellular network.  Has no effect on the voicemail icon.  Voicemail is working exactly as it was before.  I'm not sure what the updated does yet.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ran the update, and while hoping for a great outcome on the voicemail icon issue, I was saddened to leave myself a voicemail to find no icon change. I got the toast notification for those few seconds, and that was it (aside from the numeric indication of a missed call). Oh well.... for a few fleeting minutes, I had high hopes.....

Highlighted
Journeyman

Behavior is unchanged after the GDR3 update.

This is what happens on my phone:

1. VM is left
  2. Notification sound and toast are played/shown
  3. VVM app tile changes as follows
    • small tile: exclamation mark shown, no count
    • medium tile: exclamation mark shown, no count, text "New Voicemail" is displayed
    • large tile: exclamation mark shown, no count, text "New Voicemail" as well as caller's number and date and time of VM is displayed
  4. No indication of VM on lock screen
  5. Launching VVM app, inbox is empty, indicates 0 unread

iq

Highlighted
Journeyman

GDR3 has no effect on the voicemail.  This is what is included:

• Accessibility. We've made several improvements for customers who are visually impaired.
  • Storage. Now you can easily free up storage space on your phone and manage temporary files. New categories show what's taking up space.
  • Driving Mode. Feeling distracted behind the wheel? Driving Mode allows you to minimize incoming calls and text messages to help you focus on the road.
  • Screen. Reading emails in bed? You can lock your screen orientation so it doesn't shift when you move your phone around.
  • Wi-Fi. Start preserving cellular data on your phone right out of the box—you can now connect to Wi-Fi during set up.
  • Internet sharing. Now you can use your phone’s cellular data connection from your Microsoft Windows 8.1 devices by pairing them over Bluetooth.
  • Bluetooth. Several fixes were made to address known issues, and improvements were made to connection quality for Bluetooth accessories.
  • Ringtones. Do more with ringtones now. Assign ringtones for text messages, so you'll know who's texting you without even looking. Use your custom ringtones for more things—text messages, instant messages, emails, voicemail, and reminders.
  • App switcher. Don't look back. Now you can use the App switcher to quickly close apps when you're finished with them.
  • Other improvements. Includes many other improvements to Windows Phone.

Can confirm it is not working on the Neo.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Try this.

Go to the Microsoft Store and take the lastest updates "activate your device" and "visual voicemail" if those updates are available.

Once you have done this power off your device and then it should work when you power it back on.

Once you have done this, you will see an exclamation point on the Voicemail Icon whenever a new messages is available, when you go into the client, it will fetch the voicemail.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for your comments voicemail_guy. both "activate your device" and "visual voicemail" on my phone are at the latest versions available from the Store.

As you write and as I described in my earlier post above, I do get the exclamation point immediately after a VM is left.

However, no count is shown on the tile and no indicator is shown on the lock screen, despite the lock screen being configured to show it.

Is the tile not supposed to show the count of messages and should indicator not show on the lock screen right away?

And most importantly, in my most recent test, after the exclamation point was shown on the tile, I launched the VVM app and no VM was available, it showed 0 unread messages.

It did not fetch the voicemail.

This behavior is unchanged, regardless of all shutting off and powering on and updating this activation app.

The VVM application is not reliable, VMs are often only shown in the application after significant delays, sometimes after several days. In the past I have left multiple VMs to test this and at times it shows a more recent VM, but not an older one. So even if the app fetches messages, it cannot be relied upon to show all messages.

The only reliable way to retrieve VMs is to call in!

This VVM application provides no benefit to the customer and is in fact nothing but a hindrance.

The VM functionality that is built into the WP8 OS should be enabled, so that those of us who need reliable voicemail can use that, while all others who do not care about that, can continue to use VVM and take their chances.

iq

Highlighted
Journeyman

As reported several times by several people in this thread, getting the latest active your device and visual voicemail app doesn't help.  Mine doesn't even get toast notifications or exclamation point.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Seriously man, did you not see the fifty (By now has to be over two hundred) some odd people that have posted on this thread that have tried that? It makes no difference. I really think Sprint is running under the premise that all of us are morons and somehow would not think to update our phones at the first sign of an available update. Please don't waste our time if you're going to post the most obvious answer known to man, that most of us with half a brain would have figured out ourselves...please

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah, no fix for Visual Voicemail...still broken after the latest update.  Such a bummer that a critical piece of a phone being a phone isn't working.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes same here. The new Phone OS update did not resolve the Voice Mail issue.

As I have said before, I believe this is the SPRINT network issue. The Voice Mail works only at certain areas. I know that it works at the SPRINT store and at a restaurant near my house. I get both toast notifications and the Visual Voice Mail icon updated with the exclamation mark and when I tap on the Visual Voice Mail icon, all my voice mails will be loaded correctly.

Unfortunately, the voice mail does not work at all at my house and at my work place (No toast notifications and Visual Voice Mail not updated).

One thing I noticed though is that the areas where the Voice Mail is working, the 3G or 4G signal has at least 4 bars whereas the place where the voice mail not working, the 3G signal strength is low like 3 bars or less.

I do hope that SPRINT will address this issue if they ever will.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow, thanks for all the posts.

One basic problems remains. We do NOT need all the 3rd party apps to do what is already built into the windows phone operating system. As it did for version 7 and 7.5 and 7.8, version 8 is supposed to notify you in 3 ways on a windows phone. 1. toast notification at the moment of voicemail detection, 2. a cassette looking icon appears ON AND BELOW the PHONE TILE to tell you that there is a new voicemail, 3. a led is supposed to blink on the front of the phone indicating a new notification. (page 23 of the HTC 8xt manual as was originally posted by Sprint online.)

About 100 posts back I noted that the HTC technicians stated that it appears Sprint is not sending the "flag" for a voicemail notification to the phone so that the windows operating system can do the "built in" 3 notification behaviors. Why it worked on the prior model (the arrive) is not clear. I may have been on a different voicemail server. But, it does not work now on any Sprint new windows phone and Sprint is still not doing anything about it.

Sprint is however convincing users that they must install and use a 3rd party Visual Voicemail App to do the task that the operating system is already designed to do. Therefore you should use up more of your memory to install the app, use up more of your data to operate the app, and pay them for the special services the app can offer.(See subscription information in the app)(which still does not work.)

We don't need the app ----- we need the phone to work as designed. The current update ( General Distribution Release 3) to the phone address Microsoft Windows Phone 8 issues and improvements, not the Sprint debacle.

(The phone tile shows a phone receiver with a cassette icon when a voice mail is available on every windows phone with the word PHONE in the tile. On a Sprint phone that cassette like icon does not appear and the word on the tile is SPRINT. A sure indication that Sprint has messed with the OS for whatever gain it has chosen to follow.)

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat