cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

voicemail icon not working

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: voicemail icon not working

voicemail_guy, any idea why the toast notification part works when I have sprint tech support on the line and have them call my phone and leave a voicemail?  Whenever I try myself or have friends leave me a voicemail the toast notification never works.  It seems to only work when sprint tech support calls me to test.  Very strange.  The last time I was on the phone with sprint tech support, they tested twice and everything worked perfectly.  Immediately after the call I tried myself and also had a friend try and it didn't work.  I was in the same location for all these tests (my home).

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sounds like coincidence.  The toasts disappear after a minute or so.  Trust me there is no magic wand the care agents use.

Journeyman

Hi MGUENNEWIG,

I think I know what the issue is now.

Delete the number stored in your contact and it will work. It's working on mine. What I did was delete  my friend number from my contact on my phone and having my friend call me and leave a voice mail message.

I got a toast notification and an excalmation point on the Visual Voice Mail icon. I open the Visual Voice Mail and the message was loaded as unread and the Visual Voice mail icon updated to number 1 indicated one unread message.

One intesting thing about this is that when you open the Visual Voice mail, it shows my friend name on the unread message. I just removed my friend name from my contact and I would expect it just shows my friend's number only but it shows my friens name instead.

Please try this on your phone. Delete your friend number from the contack list on your phone and have your friend call you and leave a message. I will bet that it will work on yours too.

The question is why deleting the name from your contact makes the Voice mail working correctly. Or why any phone number that calls you that is not in your contact, the Voice mail will work. Once you add this number to your contact on your phone, the Voice mail is no longer working.

Hope this will help Sprint narrow down the issue.

Thanks,

Journeyman

Interesting find.  I've tested it a couple of times and I am now seeing the same thing as you (for the most part).  If someone calls me from a number I don't have in my contact list and leaves a message, it will work perfectly.  If I put that number back in my contacts, it won't work.  I'm using an ATIV S NEO.  I tried removing the sim (as I know sometimes contacts saved on sim can do weird things) but that didn't make a difference. The only variation from what you describe is that I'm not seeing my friends name show up in visual voicemail after I remove the contact.  It just shows the number, not the name in visual voicemail (as it should).

Anyway, pretty cool that you discovered this.  It explains why the toast notifications worked for me when I had sprint tech support leave me messages.  I sure hope your finding helps sprint get us a fix quicker.

I guess a temporary workaround is to delete all contacts.  LOL!  I think I'll pass on that.

Journeyman

Here we go again.

Testing and justifying the 3rd party visual voicemail app instead of wondering why the Sprint phones will not work as designed by Microsoft. Sprint, as stated, has clouded and diverted the customers attention away from the problem and back to the "wonderful" app they want you to use. (that does not work)

Interesting observation:

Once the GDR3 is installed and you restart the phone, pay careful attention to the PHONE tile. Watch it very carefully as the phone is restarted and the tiles appear for the first time. The Windows PHONE tile appears for a split second and is then overridden by a tile that says SPRINT. Someone at Sprint has decided to overwrite the tile that shows phone and voice mail cassette icons with one that says SPRINT and does not show voicemail notifications. Try it and very carefully watch the overwrite of the PHONE icon to a Sprint icon. No wonder it will not work as designed, the carrier changed the display icon to their own! (I have no data to support this just a close observation of the process and an educated guess.) The older Arrive did not overwrite this tile........ and voicemail notification worked without any app.

Journeyman

Well as long as I don't have the incoming call number as a contact, if they leave a message, I'll get a toast notification every time both with or without visual voicemail installed.  Without visual voicemail installed, the toast notification looks a bit different and instead of showing the small cassette icon it just has a small box with an x in it...almost like the image of the cassette can't be found.  Unfortunately, the phone tile doesn't display the cassette either.  Also, on the neo, there is no green led lit to let you know you have a message.  I wish it worked like my old arrive.

As for your interesting observation about the phone tile, I believe that is normal behavior.  When the phone first starts there is no service. As soon as it connects with your service provider it is supposed to display the carrier name as it does.  Sprint or Verizon, etc.  My NEO always did this even before I put gdr3 on it.  Maybe your 8xt didn't but it is normal behavior.

Journeyman

I know many posters here do not like the Visual Voicemail app but I, for one, do like the Visual Voicemail as I don't have to dial in the SPRINT voice mail to retreat my voice messages. I believe the Voice mail works as intended as long as SPRINT addresses the issue with phone numbers in the contact that prevent the toast notifications and Visual Voice Mail to update whenever new Voice Mails are received.

And while SPRINT is at it, I hope they will also restore the blinking green LED also to notify the users that there are incoming new Voice mail in your mailbox.

Journeyman

I don't want visual voicemail either, but I think we are stuck with it.

Sprint sent me a refurb 8xt for troubleshooting the voice mail. Worked the same as mine. Surprise surprise.. Also starting to look like sprint took the cassette tape icon out of the phone tile, as they want us to use the visual voicemail program, and that is supposed to update in real time. They have tried taking the phone off the visual voicemail server and it does not work, so we are stuck with visual voicemail. So I am told. I testing on Friday I was told that the text message is going out to the phone but the visual voicemail is not being updated. I am set for a follow up next week on any progress.

Journeyman

I also received toast notifications today from 2 unknown callers, and Visual Voicemail seemed to work fine.  Hopefully we're on to something here!

Journeyman

We will see when this update "shows up" in the Microsoft App Store.  You have not given us a clear date on when it would become available.   Has it been put on the Dev Center for Microsoft to test? If it has, we should see it in a max of 7 days.

Journeyman

"Hope, it is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength, and your greatest weakness."

Remember we're talking about Sprint here...

Journeyman

Talked with Sprint last night because my call quality dropped drastically.  Asked about the status of the voicemail issue.... All she said was "The status is still pending so it looks like they are still working on it." So it looks like our friend voicemail_guy was inaccurate in his statement. Care to expand further?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat