cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

voicemail icon not working

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: voicemail icon not working

This thread was initiated to understand why the Sprint phones do not notify of voicemail using the designed Windows phone 8 operating system. Sprint has manipulated the users to see the thread is about their pay for service 3rd party Visual Voice mail app. If you have fallen for that marketing ploy fine. However experience, demonstrated in this thread, has shown if you install the 3rd party app, it will disable the designed operation system notification system and you will be left with only the Visual Voice mail app. If you uninstall that app, the operations system functions do NOT return. It will NOT work as before. The only way we have discovered to restore the operation functions is to factory reset the phone and loose all data. I have done that twice testing this app for Sprint.

Why does the phone not work as designed?

Journeyman

the 8xt has Visual Voicemail installed by default

this thread is very much about Visual Voicemail

and, the issue, it seems to me, happens with the Native capabilities not just the VVM app. THAT is a Sprint system issue...

Journeyman

The new Visual Voicemail build was just uploaded.  Should be available for many of you.

As before, make sure you have the latest version of "activate your device" ver 1.8.0.36 and update to the latest  "visual voicemail" ver 6.2.0.7 and then I would power off and power on the phone.

Let us know if it resolves the issues.

Journeyman

I'm the original poster of this thread.  The visual voice mail and audio voicemail are now more integrated.  Before if I listened to the voicemail it would remain in visual voicemail until I deleted it and vice versa.  Now if I delete it out of visual voicemail it also deletes it out of audio voicemail and vice versa.  That is an improvement.  The visual voicemail was working fairly well for me before.  It would take time for the visual voicemail to actually download the message sometimes.  I would always get the forwarded email right away but I'd have an exclamation point on the tile and open it and it could take 30 seconds to ten minutes to download.  That problem seems to be solved.

One thing that is still not working is the lock screen notification.  The Visual voicemail app has a setting where you can put a lock screen notification on.  However, that only works once you have opened and downloaded your voicemail, which is kind of silly.  The tile does have an exclamation point indicating that there is a voicemail but it only works if you open the lock screen and look at the tile.  From looking at the lock screen alone you wouldn't know that you have voicemail.  It seems that each upgrade does improve some of the features, but, ironically, each time it's improved it's still not as good as what existed in the older version of Windows Phone and ironically as well all previous sprint phones before the invention of smart phones.

Journeyman

Soooo I just updated the Visual Voice Mail to the lastest....nothing seems to have changed...

1. Lock screen notification is still not present

2. After I restarted my phone, it did not update the live tile, after I called my phone from a different line it showed up

3. After I call my voicemail and delete the message....the live tile does not delete it...

What even got changed? This was happening the same way as before for me.

Journeyman

Voicemail_guy, Mine is still broke....

Only change I have seen is if I launch visual voicemail it will download the messages and display them. It will now also allow me to delete them. MY saved messages also stay in inbox unlike before when they would disappear.

I still get no indication of any new voice mail at all... I still have to dial in to the regular voicemail or launch visual voicemail to check if I have any new messages, and I still don't trust the visual voicemail.

Who is testing this????  This is worse than being a beta tester, more like a alpha tester.

I also see Android Nexus 5 users have similar problem. Don't try to reinvent the wheel!! Just can the stupid visual voicemail and go back to what works.

Vonage adopted the stupid visual voicemail system too and it sucks there too....

Journeyman

I just updated the Visual Voicemail app and it seems that the Visual Voice Mail works much better than before.

It's stable now and you can download your voicemails with no issues. You can delete your voicemails and you also need to empty the thrash to delete from your voicemail network.

However, the issue with the phone numbers in your phone contact list still has not been fixed. If the number that calls you is in your contact list, you will not get the toast notification and the exclamation mark in the Visual Voicemail icon to let you know that you have a voicemail.

And this is the whole crux of the issue. If someone with the number stored in your phone contact list calls you and leaves you a voicemail, you will miss it if you don't get the notifications. The only thing that is fixed now is that if you open your Visual Voicemail (even without an exclamation), it will download your voicemail.

Sprint please address this issue as soon as possible.

Journeyman

Mine does not matter if the call comes from contact or not. behavior is same. No Toast notification, no live tile update.... But so far if I launch visual voicemail the message does download. Over all slower and more tedious than just dialing good old regular voice Mail!

Journeyman

Hi DFG_Financial,

Try to update your network profile on your phone to see if you can at least get the toast notifications from calls outside of your contact list.

Go to settings -> network profile update -> update profile

Thanks,

Journeyman

It's interesting that I'm not having the same problem regarding the contact list and Toast notifications.  In fact, if someone is in my contact list, the toast notification identifies the caller by the name in my contact list.  What bewilders me about this entire thing is how some of us have DIFFERENT problems even though for many of us they are the same.

Journeyman

I have updated my PRL, I still go no toast notification, or VVm tile changes when a message is left from a known caller.  Still works much better when its a call from someone not in my contacts list; I get toast notification and VVm tile is updated to reflect a message has been left.

When I open VVm, it does check and download the message, which is an improvement, but obviously, we're not all the way there yet...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Have reset a few times. Sprint even rebuilt my line from scratch. nothing changed.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat