cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

voicemail icon not working

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: voicemail icon not working

I've already had to hard reset my phone today b/c all my music & videos disappeared from the SD card on my 8XT.  Oh, everything's there...WP8 just couldn't see them anymore...(frustrating) but not Sprint's fault.

So...I've already updated VVM and I'm just waiting for the 'Activate My Device' update to be pulled down.

I have synced in my Google contacts, but kept everything else off for now.

Journeyman

Hi Voicemail_guy,

I did go through a factory reset and the contact issue still occurs. In fact I did it twice. The first time, I did not sign in to Microsoft account so that I will not load all my apps. It still did not work the contact issue is still there without all of my apps. The second time, I signed it with Microsoft and loaded all my apps and the contact issue is still there.

I also waited 24 hours after the factory reset for the "activate your device" to show up in the update to load the latest version 1.8.0.36 and the contact issue is still there.

I called Microsoft Windows support and they told to call the phone manufacturer and/or the service provider to get support on this issue. They were sorry that they don't provide support service for windows phone because they sold the software to the manufacturer and they has nothing to do with it.

I then called HTC and HTC reps told me that SPRINT and Microsoft are aware of this issue and they working on it but HTC is out of the loop.

If this is the case I do hope that SPRINT and Microsoft will come up with the fix for this contact issue very soon.

I did everything I possibly could at my end to see if I can get the contact issue to work. However, the contact isssue still occurs no matter what I did with the phone.

I believe this has to do with the SPRINT Network that it somehow cannot get push notifications to come through if the number is defined in the contact list. As a matter of fact, I did one experiment where I called from a number in my contact list to my phone (of course no toast notication), I then called from a number that is not in my contact list and this time I got two toast notifications with the same number that is not in my contact list. It seems to me that the first number were stuck in the queue and the second number (not from my contact list) push the notifications through.

I just want to let you know that what I observed and I do hope that you will come up with the fix soon. I frimly believe that the contact list issue is the SPRINT network issue.

Thanks,

Journeyman

My phone is up to date with all apps, and I'm still getting the authentication error problem. If I power down my phone and restart it, I can download my voice mails and everything is good, until I back out and try to go back in. One of two problems occur, either the authentication error or it just says "checking" for endless amounts of time...not kidding its been 45 minutes and it's still checking. My god...this is just a terrible mess...

Journeyman

I have had the "Authenticating" error a couple of times. If I back out of the program, and go back in, it usually functions correctly. I'm still mystified with this whole voice mail debacle on Sprint's part. While I can certainly appreciate the effort in trying to get something usable for Sprint's Windows Phone customers in the interim, it still raises the question "WHY" isn't the native vm functions of the operating system not able to function correctly? And second, why did these products make it to market with such a significant problem?

If the Windows Phone market is so insignificant to Sprint, as to not get this VM issue right, then Sprint should have no problem making this right for those few users. They should afford them the opportunity to switch to an Android/iOS, or move to a different provider that does fully support the Windows Phone market.

Just my $0.02 for the day.

Journeyman

Well, after the 'Activate My Phone' app update this afternoon my VVM appears to be unusable now.

I can't get past the 'Authenticating... Please Wait...' message at the top of the VVM screen.

I've rebooted the phone multiple times, closed out gone back in multiple times, nothing seems to get VVM to actually download the message.

Also, I still have the same issue with VVM,  not in contacts - everything works correctly, in contacts, nothing...

Journeyman

Hey,

Got a new error today on Visual Voicemail.  A box comes up that says "Voicemail Error  Error UnknownError:  Server Unavailable.  Please try again at a later time.

I have 5 bars of 4G.

Nice.....sigh....

-Drop

Journeyman

I had gotten my phone to authenticate when app updated. Since then about every other time I launch it I get the authenticate failed message, waiting to authenticate.

I am not getting any notifications of voicemail regardless of a contact or not.

I just launched visual voicemail again and the authenticate error is back.

What can we do to just give the cassette tape icon in the phone tile when un listened to messages are on the system like Microsoft built the phone?

Even when I can get the visual voicemail program to download messages, it is so slow. It is much faster just to dial voicemail and listen to them.

As I have said from beginning, let those that like the crap app. use it. Don't make those that want true regular voicemail with the notification the phone was designed to use be forced to use the third party crap app. that doesn't work and is more tedious and slow to use.

I love the windows phone, and have been a Sprint customer since July 1999 but the higher cost of ATT and the Nokia 1520 with a 6" screen is starting to look appealing.

Why is it that Att, Verizon and Tmobile are not having voicemail problems? What is Sprint doing different? Finding this out may be the key to fixing the issue.

I may be one a select few left in the world that use a phone to talk to people, rather than text and email and therefore voicemail is very important to me.

I left my number in a previous post for troubleshooting purposes.

Thanks Dan

Journeyman

Amen to that!

This VVM app is the answer to a question that many of us were not asking. The regular VM functionality did all it needed to do for me.

VVM's main purpose is to upsell people to purchase the premium service with forwarding and speech to text transcription.

SmithMicro, the maker of this software lists it as the primary operator benefit on their own web site at Visual Voicemail, Voicemail-To-Text, Videomail, etc. | CommSuite:

"Monetization of voice and videoservices

Upsell from the client application and generate additional premium services revenue with voicemail-to-text transcription, video messaging, and more."

Offer the regular VM instead, that one worked fine!

iq

Journeyman

Do you mean getting the phone to work as in the instruction manual from HTC for the 8XT?  What a concept!  (Posting 390)

Isn't that what so many of us have been asking since the phone was released?

Some of my fellow posters disagree with me (us) saying they like to test 3rd party software for Sprint while paying monthly fees for included services and even more for special Visual Voice mail services.

But, I'm not bitter, just confused.

(and do check out posting #391 also.)

Journeyman

gmg22 wrote:

Do you mean getting the phone to work as in the instruction manual from HTC for the 8XT?  What a concept!  (Posting 390) Yes

Isn't that what so many of us have been asking since the phone was released? YES

Some of my fellow posters disagree with me (us) saying they like to test 3rd party software for Sprint while paying monthly fees for included services and even more for special Visual Voice mail services.

But, I'm not bitter, just confused. I am confused too as to why voicemail notification works on the other carriers, What did Sprint do different?

(and do check out posting #391 also.)

Some times moving forward must really mean to move backward!

Journeyman

I was one of the original people to post about these HTC8xt problems back in July. Now I am re-visiting the forum to see if there was any significant progress.  I know this is a new platform (I understand, I develop software) but this has been too much.  In the future, there should be a simple fix to make the phone notifications work as advertised.  If not, then I will definitely move to a different carrier when my time is up.  Like others, I have missed voicemails from my boss before I realized that the notifications were not working.  Not good.  For now, I have redirected my voicemail to google voicemail.  It sends me a text every time there is a voicemail, so all I have to do is turn the phone 'on' every once in a while and look for text notifications.  The actual voicemails are sent to your gmail so you have to be able to get internet reception to retrieve voicemail.  It's a convoluted workaround, and I shouldn't have to do this. I really like the phone (former WebOS user who just couldn't let go haha!), so I hope this issue gets resolved in the near future. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

We have another build coming out soon.  Testing on it started today.  We are trying to address all the issues mentioned on this forum.  I am pretty sure this build will resolve most if not all of the issues on the next release of "activate your device", and we are working on improving the tile experience for new and unread messages with a future release of Visual Voicemail.

To answer the previous question about "why Sprint VVM doesn't work like other carrier's WM8 VVM."  The Microsoft VVM client that works on other carriers doesn't work with our voicemail platforms, so we had to build our own application in order to have some level of parity.   Our issues have been mostly with having to work with some in between code (activate your device) to get the access we need to provide the VVM service.   We are hoping in future releases of WP8 we get the access we need without having to work with in between piece.  In the meantime, we have full intentions on getting any remaining issues resolved.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat