Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

voicemail icon not working

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: voicemail icon not working

Amen!

Sprint, just make the regular voicemail functionality work!

Journeyman

Yes. Yes! Yes!!. Sprint, please give us the ability to remove Visual Voice Mail and return to standard WP8 voice mail handling.

Journeyman

"Sprint is however convincing users that they must install and use a 3rd party Visual Voicemail App to do the task that the operating system is already designed to do. Therefore you should use up more of your memory to install the app, use up more of your data to operate the app, and pay them for the special services the app can offer.(See subscription information in the app)(which still does not work.)"

You've given a very succinct account of what was, what is, and what should be. It would appear Sprint recognizes the failure, and hopes for a program (that doesn't work reliably on any platform) to get the job done. It doesn't. It never has. It doesn't appear it will in the foreseeable future.

I can't imagine, with the available resources to Sprint, this cannot be resolved. I have a Lenovo tablet (Windows 8). When 8.1 was released this week, the video drivers failed miserably. Within 24 hours, they had a fix, and made it easily available to its users. It was an incredible testament to a company's willingness to "do the right thing". Everyone's happy, and the tablet works flawlessly. Can't Sprint do the same? Imagine the positive PR they could've garnered by taking care of the customer. Instead, they just continue to have their messengers deliver this tired old rhetoric about updating, downloading, restarting.... knowing good and well, it's not going to fix this issue.

This has really grown quite tiring, and extremely aggravating.

Journeyman

Has anyone emailed the CEO about this? Just curious, I will compose one later today.

Daniel.R.Hesse@sprint.com - Dan Hesse - President and CEO (Yes Dan@Sprint.com is an auto responder)

Journeyman

Mr. Heese,

I have had the pleasure of being a Sprint customer for many, many years. On the rare occasion I have had to utilize the expertise of your support staff, they have generally been knowledgeable, helpful, and resolved my issues with very little fuss.

In July, when your company released its new Windows line of smartphones, I took advantage of the opportunity, and upgraded my HTC Arrive to the new HTC 8xt. With its bigger screen, updated operating system, and overall improved performance, I felt I had made a wise choice in my selection.

Immediately, I recognized a serious issue which has been well-documented on your company's customer forum - VOICEMAIL NOTIFICATION.

I'm certain you are already familiar with the issues your Windows Phone customers are having with voice mail notification on both Windows Phone models you carry, so I will not take the time to repeat them here.

At the heart of any cell phone is the ability to make and take calls, and a voice mail system that allows the user to be alerted to missed or ignored calls. Currently, WP8 users on your network are not notified in any fashion of a received voice mail message. Your technicians have had users reset, restart, restore and download 3rd party applications in order to mimic a function built into the Windows Phone operating system. On Sprint, that basic, built-in function is simply not working, and hasn't since the phone's release. Surprising, since it worked flawlessly on your previous Windows Phone model - the HTC ARRIVE.

No one in a position beneath you seems to have the authority, knowledge, or desire to square up with your customers on this problem. Your store personnel are not familiar with the Windows Phone products you carry (a completely different issue which should also be addressed), and all the technicians I have spoken with assure me the hoops they are having me jump through will rectify the situation.

To date, the situation is NOT resolved. I was sold a phone that does not deliver on one of the most basic functions of a cellular phone - notification of a received voice mail.

I am overall happy with my choice in selecting Sprint as my carrier. I am otherwise happy with my selection of a Windows Phone product through your company. What I am not happy with is the way in which Sprint is NOT acknowledging and/or addressing this voice mail notification issue on all of its Windows Phone products.

I look forward to your reply. More important, I look forward to learning how Sprint plans to quickly  address this issue.

Regards,

Journeyman

That was written beautifully!

Journeyman

We at Sprint are working on the issue.  We are still not sure why some devices work fine and some do not.

A new Visual Voicemail client load should be available shortly from the Microsoft Store in the next few days.  The new build we are testing will have refresh button which can be hit to make the client pull down any voicemails on the server.

Even after this new build becomes available, we will continue to work the issue until we understand why some devices work and some do not.

We apologize for any inconveniences and hope to resolve this issue shortly.

Journeyman

Actually, voicemail_guy, I'm not sure your response is completely accurate.  You said that some devices work fine and some do not.  To date I have not heard of ANY of these devices in which the convention, embedded voicemail system is working.  The only thing I've seen is that on some of the devices the visual voicemail app sort of works, and in others it does not work at all.  I have not seen anything anywhere indicating that the visual voicemail app works completely correctly or that the embedded conventional voicemail works at all.  The best I've seen is that people get a notification on visual voicemail that there is voicemail -- by saying "new voicemail" if the tile is large or an exclamation point if it's small.  But it never says how many messages are there until you actually launch the app and after the app is launched sometimes it takes several minutes for the messages to download.  Sometimes it takes even  longer.  In the best case scenarios the system is working in way that could be described as "fair" at best.  Thank you.

Journeyman

Due to limiations with the operating system, our client is not allowed to do background data and push the voicemail down into the client.  It has to be done as more of a pull experience versus a push experience.

The experience when working proper will notify the customer with a toast (notification) and put an exclamation point on the tile telling the customer there are unread voicemails.  Once the customer clicks the tile, the voicemails are then pulled (downloaded) to the application.  The message count we show is related to how many unread downloaded  (already fetched) voicemails.  We are hoping on future versions of the operating system that they allow us to do background data and let us push the voicemails to the clients.

Hope this helps.

Journeyman

OK that's a clarification but that's not what the customers want.  We always just wanted not the third party app version but the conventional embedded version, in which the operating system indeed allows the push of the notifications not to the third party app but into the embedded conventional voicemail, the way it worked on WP7, WP7.5, WP7.8 and WP8.x on other carriers.

Journeyman

Well, short of allowing the native process to work, keep digging!  I'll take a manual stop gap for a short term patch.

Thanks for the update.

Journeyman

voicemail_guy, you sound like you actually are a few steps closer to the technical details of the app than anyone else who has posted here.  Please tell us how to remove the Visual Voice Mail Client and get the standard windows notification to work.  If those instructions could be posted, you would make a lot of folks very very happy.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat