cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

voicemail icon not working

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: voicemail icon not working

Yes my phone is up to date, no, it has in no way come close to fixing this problem...before voicemail_guy took what seems like an extended vacation from Sprint, he said there was an update coming to "Active My Device" which has never materialized. Is there any information on this update? When can we expect it? Is it even coming out?

Journeyman

I think you meant the 'Activate Your Device' app.

Journeyman

I too have not seen any updates come across for this - I don't have visual voice mail installed though - have we determined that this will be a requirement for voice mail notifications? and if so, why wasn't this a requirement with older windows phones like the arrive? - that device got notifications just fine.

At what point is sprint at a breach of contract here? I may need to review my contract to see. But the problem ( as confirmed by this thread ) is not on the device, but in sprints voice mail servers ( or the 3rd party that runs them ) being compatible with windows phone. ( which seems extremely silly to not fix that issue with the growth that windows phone is seeing )

Can we get some form of official status update on this problem? We do pay our bills every month, should be the least Sprint can do to keep us in the loop.

Journeyman

Yes, I meant "Activate Your Device"...my mistake, wrong possessive determiner.

As far as Sprint keeping us up to date, I'm not holding my breath anymore. It seems like Sprint throws a carrot of hope out once a month and then goes back into hiding. Since they don't even advertise the Windows Phone anymore, I'm losing hope that this issue will ever be resolved. This thread alone started July 22nd, 2013, we are coming up on the 5 month anniversary and really have nothing to show for it. It's mind boggling that they would release a phone with a broken feature, that next to making a call, could be the most important part of a cellphone.   

Journeyman

You've reached right to the basics of this whole debacle. At the heart of any cell phone ("smart" or otherwise) is the function of making and taking calls, along with voice mail. To think we could be in the year 2013, with all the technological advances to cell phone technology, and have a phone come to market by one of the nation's top 3 carriers that doesn't alert the user of a received voice mail message is unthinkable. We're asked to download a 3rd party app to get a this basic function (an app that is notorious for not working under ANY platform). Worse is the fact we're paying the cost of service to include this basic feature, and we're not getting it.

I don't hold out much hope for Sprint to busy themselves in fixing this quickly (if ever). I took some time a few weeks ago to review my actual contract, my usage, and the cost of the same setup with other carriers. Frankly, going with one of the other two carriers wouldn't find me paying more (or less), I would get a better selection of Windows phones, and I would get the full service I'm paying for. Now the question remains, is it really worth paying out my contract to move on? With the additional headache I'm facing of repeated text messages that no one can seem to fix (by repeated, I'm speaking of 20-30 repeated texts every time I get one), I'm beginning to think it's time to go.

Perhaps there's a cool Nokia in my future. We'll see.

Journeyman

Was only meaning to clarify in case the Sprint support person wasn't familiar with the App & WP8. 

Sometimes us IT guys are too literal to see what you meant...no intent to call you out on it, only to give he/she the app name to aide in their research for us.

Journeyman

ChrisCraftGuy, I think you've hit it on the head...personally, I've always felt that Sprint simply picked up the Windows Phone to "shut" some of us up. They never really wanted to take on the Windows Phone, which explains why they never tested it prior to release and why the support is so bad.

No problem sassafrass123! I got what you meant.

Master

sassafrass123,

Thank you for your assistance, will be sure to keep that in consideration.

*Jessica
Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

This is for the person who asked about the google voice workaround.  Here is how I use google voice to get text notifications.  I am not attempting that visual voicemail junk as everytime I have tried it, it totally hosed any and all voicemail capability.  I hate, hate, hate rebooting over and over to reclaim lost features so I gave up on that.  At least with google voice, the application is isolated and you can easily turn it off if something goes wrong.  I may not get the instructions completely right since I would have to undo my settings to start over and document it.  But this should give you a good start:

• -at top right there is a gear and a dropdown that says 'settings' when you hover over it
  • -click the dropdown for settings
  • -you now have several tabs 'phones' 'voicemail & text'  'calls'  'Groups & Circles' etc...
  • -under the phone tab you will find a checkbox labeled 'Cell'
  •   -press 'edit' and enter your cell number here
  •   -I think it was at this point that google voice recognized my phone was Sprint, and a Sprint icon appeared next to the number
  •   -there should be a link to 'activate google voicemail on this phone' click it and follow instructions
  •   -then check 'receive text messages on this phone'
  •   -check 'Notify me of new voicemails via text'

Now you get texts for voicemails.

You can also go to the 'Voicemail & Text' tab and sign up for Voicemail Notifications to an email address.  That's pretty cool because you get voicemails as an email attachment (I think it's mp3 format).

Journeyman

New version of  "activate your device" should be published in the next 24 hours.  I am hoping this resolves the address book and other issues.

Journeyman

Thank you for the update!

Journeyman

I have the 'Activate Your Device' Update installed.  I called my phone from my wife's cell (known number) and left a message.  I received notification that VM was left, and it included my wife's name in the toast notification.  The VVM Live Tile was also updated.

I still have the 'Authenticating... Please wait... ' issues when opening the VVM app, including after rebooting the phone.

I'll wait for others to chime in, but VVM seems to be working.  Please advise on the VVM app...I'm out in the boonies for Christmas, so it could be my poor signal.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat