cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8107 update

Journeyman

8107 update

Does anyone have info as to why Sprint is not rolling out the 8107 that not only updates the disappearing keyboard issue but also security issues? Does our privacy not matter or is it Sprint could careless about WP7 users?

17 REPLIES 17
Journeyman

Re: 8107 update

No idea. After they statement during CES it seems like they've just given up support completely or are just waiting for Windows Phone 8 as a "remedy"

For anyone wanting to update to build 8107 I suggest you read this tutorial.  I did these exact steps a while back and luckily WPCentral was kind enough to write up a tutorial.

http://www.wpcentral.com/force-updating-your-windows-phone-os-build-8107-tutorial

Journeyman

McTiger, I too wonder the same thing.

I would like the security updates and to get rid of the disappearing keyboard which happens every so often when using the onscreen keyboard.

Also if they would have the annoying 160 character SMS limit taken care of.  Even my Nokia 3300 never had that issue from 2000.  This company amazes me lately.

Journeyman

What pisses me off is Sprint IMO was the forerunner for windows mobile now they are pissing on it

Journeyman

I had the tp2 and it didnt have the 160 character limit I was shocked when my arrive let me type past 160 but wouldnt let me send it. I dont know about you but I get the disappearing keyboard when I have the hard keyboard out

Journeyman

I'm ready for this update but it seems the powers to be on the Sprint side don't feel it's worth it.  As a former Palm Pre user, I know what this is like.

Journeyman

Verizon just pushed this update, and they've been hating on windows phone since the beginning. Sprint has been more friendly to Windows Phone, so why haven't we gotten it yet!  Sprint, stop being a crap bag, give us the update!

Journeyman

No kidding!

I really would like the official update instead of getting it through other methods.

Journeyman

I just spent the last several days on the phone and online to Sprint, Microsoft, and HTC customer support and technical support trying to track down any firsthand knowledge of why there is a holdup on the 7.10.8107.79 update for the HTC Arrive from Sprint.  I've made phone calls, sent emails, answered customer surveys, and read and left messages on official "help" websites.  This is what I have been told:

Sprint:

The Sprint Store didn't know anything about a disappearing keyboard problem or an update to fix it. At first, they told me it was a manufacturing problem (HTC).  They researched it online in a back room and found the update reference from Microsoft. After making me wait about 15 minutes, they eventually came out and gave me one of their cards and wrote directions for me to go to a pay site online to fix my computer. That was fairly typical for Windows Phone support at the Sprint Store.

Sprint Customer Service didn't know about the update either. After talking to several people that thought I wanted to instructions on how to update my phone, one person was told by their technical support people that Sprint was waiting on Microsoft to push the update through.  I informed him that Microsoft had informed the world that the update would be offered to any carrier that requested it. He just repeated the same answer and told me to wait couple of more days.

Microsoft:

Four (4) phone calls to Microsoft later finally got me the revelation that Microsoft is only supporting Windows Phone with its online support.  They couldn't connect me to a real person on the phone that could help me. They sent me an email with several Microsoft websites listed, all of which I had already tried. I finally found one that provided a place to ask a question instead of listing the FAQ's.  I was able to find the same question among the many listed that I had been trying to ask all along.  A moderator replied back with "The hold up is Sprint itself. Microsoft and HTC are done with this update."  This was from the official website sent to me by Microsoft Customer Service. Now I had to ask him if he worked for Microsoft. He replied he did not. So much for firsthand knowledge. My search continued.

HTC:

After going online and leaving the same question, they replied back by email and said "It is a combined effort between HTC, Sprint and Microsoft to produce updates for your device." This was a good start. It further said, "If you have not changed the update settings, your phone will let you know automatically when an update is available."  They went on to explain how to do an update on my phone.  They clearly did not understand the question. I left another reply and explained again that I was looking for knowledge of the status of the particular update (7.10.8107.79) that would fix the disappearing keyboard on my HTC Arrive.  He replied and said, "Mango is the latest update for your device. The updates for Windows Mobile (his wording, not mine) 7 devices are created by Microsoft."  He went on to say that I would be notified when a fix was available. I left an even more detailed reply but have not received anything back yet.

Sprint:

I got on Sprint's website and found where I could chat with a representative. They were very nice and gave me the number for Device Support Center.  I called them and the first person I talked to didn't know the answer so he transferred me to Technical Support. The first person there didn't know the answer so he transerred me to a third person.  That person didn't know the answer either so he transferred me to a fourth.  She didn't really know either but was able put me on hold and go ask her "rep". She came back and told me that he told her that when Microsoft makes an update, Sprint has to make sure its compatible with the phone before its made available to the customers. Finally, some sort of answer and a clue to where the update may be residing at this time.  It was very vague but at least it was something.

In my opinion, at this point, all of the evidence points clearly at Sprint as the one holding the update. Several questions still remain. Do they really have the 7.10.8107.79 update from Microsoft?  Are they really evaluating the compatibility of the update? If so, why haven't they let their customers know that they are working on it and that it will eventually be available?  The wait (and frustration) continues...

By the way, I finally got to see the new Nokia Lumia 900 and the HTC Titan II today at AT&T. They were both sweet and my wife asked me why we weren't with AT&T.  I really had to think hard about that.

Journeyman

In all honesty if Sprint doesnt want to carry more WP7 thats fine but to not support the only 1 you have makes me rethink buyinh a wp8 if they carry them. I'm thinking of cutting my 11yrs with Sprint and go to at&t at least I can buy an unlocked phone, be with at&t, and get updates asap

Journeyman

After answering an online survey for Sprint, they thought it would be a good idea to find out why I was dissatisfied with their customer service and they called me back.  I told them the reasons for my calls to Customer Service. They transferred me to someone who might be able to answer my questions. Of course, she didn't know but told me she would ask someone who did know. She came back to the phone and said "they" told her that Sprint has to evaluate the update before it is offered to the public to make sure it is compatible with the phone and with Sprint's system.  I asked her who was the person that gave her that answer.  She said it was her supervisor.  I then asked her if I could speak to him.  Surprisingly, she said yes.  He got on the phone and we went over the questions that I had.  He told me that "they" evaluate the upgrade first (yada, yada).  I asked him who "they" are.  He told me they are the software engineers that work for Sprint. I was beginning to see some light. He said that he hadn't heard of the update (typical) and that he usually sees the phone updates about a month before the public does.  He checked his computer and was able to research the update that I mentioned (7.10.8107.79) but didn't see it scheduled anywhere in his system.  I then asked him if he knew if the software engineers were actually evaluating the update.  He said he couldn't tell.  Of course, I asked to speak to one of the software engineers but he said he couldn't do that.  I mentioned to him that Sprint may wait for Windows Phone 8 to come out late this year before we see any new software for Windows Phone.  He just said that he hoped that was not the case.

He effectively admitted that the update process is in Sprints hands now.  He told me a little more about how the updates are handled for other phones.  Thats when he told me how much he likes his Android phone.  Unfortunately, that is where the story ends.  What is comes down to is, don't hold your breath.  Don't expect it.  It appears that no amount of prodding is going to get them to talk about the current status of the update.  Does anyone know the phone number to the Sprint software engineers? Just asking.

Journeyman

Hi Texan.  I feel your frustration.  I did the same and got nowhere.  I was with Sprint continuously since 11/98 and I did not want to leave.  As of 04/06, both of my Arrive line are not on ATT with Lumia 900 and I am quite pleased.  My wife loves her Cyan color phone.  Nokia had to patch something due to a connection bug and they got the update on my Zune software within the week on top of that Nokia is crediting me $100 for each phone activated for the inconvenience (and I never even had that problem).  Now that is customer service!!   Basically, if you go to ATT, you can get free Lumias until 04/21.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat