cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Last word truncated from incoming text and sent separately?

Journeyman

Last word truncated from incoming text and sent separately?

My phone: HTC Arrive, on Sprint. (Of course.)

Friend's phone: iPhone 4S, also on Sprint.

Problem: Very often, when she sends me a text, the last word (and ONLY the last word) will be truncated and I receive it as a separate message. Something like:

"Hey, hi, how are you doing, what are you doing for"

"lunch?"

Thing is, I have seen this happen on texts as short as a combined 100 characters, but I've also seen it on texts that were over 120. (Including one that came in at 123, and then truncated the last four characters.) And it's ALWAYS the last single word.

So it's not cross-carrier, and it's not always truncating at any kind of round-number point. Now, I have unlimited messaging so it doesn't bring the world to a screeching halt, but it's irritating, and it would be seriously dubious if I WAS on any sort of metered messaging.

Anyone else see this or have an idea of what's going on?

Tags (3)
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Last word truncated from incoming text and sent separately?

FredSmythe, I apologize for the fustration this may be causing you.  Does this happen with text messages from any other person? Do you know if anyone else your friend text is getting the same thing?

~Christina

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'd be going from memory, but it does only seem to happen with her. But she is also the only person with an iPhone (and definitely the only person with a SPRINT iPhone) who I text with on a regular basis. I have friends with iPhones on other carriers (both AT&T and Verizon) where I do not believe I have seen the problem, but I don't have their conversations currently saved in my phone so I can't look and confirm that for sure right now. But it not only happens with this person, it happens with this person a *lot*.

In fact, if it weren't for the fact that this situation is contained entirely within the Sprint network, I probably wouldn't bother asking about it because it would be way too easy to pass the buck and blame the other carrier. But there is no other carrier involved here.

Journeyman

I have this exact same problem myself. I have an iphone 4s on sprint as does my older brother (different account) and one of my friends, and our friends have been telling all of us that the last word in our text is always sent seperate (except imessage, but that uses internet not texting anyways). It doesnt bother me as much but it is really annoying for the person recieving the text, and sometimes text are misread because the last word isn't their originally. But I can say without a doubt it is certainly a sprint network problem, not something present on other carriers.

Journeyman

Wow, you guys are sending from Sprint iPhone 4S to Sprint iPhone 4S and *still* having the problem? They can't even send a text correctly to the SAME PHONE on their network?

FredSmythe, so from what spydercrabb said it seems like it is a issue with your friends Iphone and not your phone. I dont feel its a network issue as it is only affecting the iphones. This may be an issue that was created by the most resent iphone software update. Spydercrabb have you or your brother tried to reset the phone and restore from itunes to see if the issue still exists? This may be an issue that needs to be directed towards apple.

Journeyman

Okay, that may be, since I have messages with this particular person on my phone all the way back to the beginning of March and it looks like the problem starts to really manifest itself around 3/10, or a couple days after the Apple announcement of the iPad 3 which also included the iOS 5.1 announcement.

So yes, I allow that it is possible that it is a problem that Sprint should be taking up with Apple and that Apple ultimately needs to do something. I trust these concerns are being passed along to whoever on the Sprint side handles the business relationship with Apple?

Journeyman

I am postive the problem I have seen is sprint related, I have friends with iphone 4s on both verizon and AT&T with the same iOS as mine (5.1) and their phones NEVER send the last word seperately, whereas mine, my brothers, and now another friend I talked to with an iphone on sprint have the same problem with the last word being sent seperately. I never have problems sending to other iphones because they use imessage, but when I send a text message to anybody else that doesnt have an iphone (even people on my plan) I experience the problem with the last text being sent seperately. I'm not trying to sound like I am saying sprint is bad or anything, but I can all but guarantee this problem occurs solely on sprint iphones (I have even found other threads across the internet about the issue where everyone complaining is using a sprint iphone). I like sprint, and I like my iphone, I am just hoping whatever the issue is Sprint and Apple can get together and figure it out.

Journeyman

My son has iphone 4s and has exact same problem.  Girlfriend was grounded for exceeding text limit.  Has anyone found a solution?!

Journeyman

Well, I'm disappointed to report that according to my friend, Sprint wants her to reset her phone when she gets back from her vacation, which means they still stubbornly refuse to entertain that the problem might be on the network side. So I wouldn't expect it to be resolved anytime soon as long as they are still holding the line on that.

The reason we request the phone to be reset is because the iphones work off the same network as your phone. If it was a network issue then other phones not just the iPhone. I just spoke with a representative who indicated this is a known issue that was caused by the recent software upgrade. I research this issue more and found this thread on apples website with people having the same issue https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3796924?start=0&tstart=0. The fix they found was adding 3 spaces at the end of the text message.. I am still researching this but from the information gathered so far it does seem like the software update is what caused the issue.

Message was edited by: lilgeekygirl

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat