cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Arrive won't connect to Sprints network

Journeyman

Re: My Arrive won't connect to Sprints network

My Apologies, please disregard my request.

In hope that this helps someone saves time and frustration, here's how I figured out the problem:

I've been watching the phone attempt to hit webpages, download data for apps, etc.  It seemed to make the request, get a response, hesitate, hesitate, hesitate, and then stop.  I kept thinking, "It has data ‘access’ but something is missing that is stopping it."  Then I thought, "The behavior seems familiar. …Ah, I do that! I do that when I keep typing the wrong password."

I remember that I noticed when I did some of the various resets and reboots of the phone that the sprintpcs.com e-mail address that the phone would get from the network was at first a generic e-mail address and THEN and it was a “new” sprintpcs.com address that was different than from that I have always seen when going to my account at Sprint.com.  I thought, "Their system has two sprintpcs.com e-mail addresses for me, this new one josxxxxx@sprintpcs.com and my old one fioxxx@sprintpcs.com!  IF the HTC Arrive is using this new address as a sort of password for data access, that's not going two work unless one of them is fixed."    So, since I had been through the "Service Tools" soooo-many-times with Sprint Techs I remembered my passwords.  I first looked at the "data" settings and then decided I could make the a change to that e-mail address saved in my new phone and could change it back if I was wrong.

As it turns out; I was right.  My long-time/old sprintpcs.com e-mail address that appears when I log into Sprint.com is needed by my phone, NOT this new sprintpcs.com e-mail address.      <--------- Sprint techs, attention!!! If a long-time customer can’t get data access/sprint vision on a new phone, check the info that is needed to gain that access, for example the sprintpcs e-mail address stored in the phone.

The phone that is absurd without data service, now has data and works like a charm! Joy!  Happiness! :-D

Journeyman

My Arrive won't connect to Sprints network

FIORE19833 - You're a genius!  After 3 phone calls to the service center and countless resets I still had zero data connection.  The service center having exhausted their entire trouble-shooting repertoire, scheduled me for an appointment to have the phone analyzed.  I wasn't thrilled with the prospect of what I suspected would be another disappointing venture.  I read this blog string and realized I'd tried all the suggestions, except yours.  I pulled out my old HTC Hero (which had no connectivity issues) and found that its e-mail address in fact differed from that on my new Arrive.  After editing the Arrive e-mail address using the tech reps Service Tool passcodes (which like you, I knew all too well) to match that of my Hero and updating my data profile......WAH LAH!  Works like a charm! Much joy and happiness ensued.  Next round's on me!

ATTENTION SPRINT TECH REPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Please add FIORE19833's tip to your trouble-shooting cue cards so your customers with similar data connectivity problems only have to make one phone call, aren't wasting their time & money running out to have perfectly working phones analyized or exchanged.  Honestly, how hard can doing this be?

Journeyman

Thanks, jdm117!

I am very happy that I was able to help someone - especially after my 2 1/2 weeks of frustration.

It's unfortunate that no one at Sprint seems to be monitoring  these forums and collecting information that would truly help their  business and customer service.

In any case, the HTC Arrive is wonderful.  It's even MORE so when  you upgrade it to Windows Phone 7.5 (Mango), if it didn't already come  with 7.5 installed.  (You used to have to install Zune on your computer  to do upgrades/updates to WP7.0. I'm not sure if it's required anymore  with WP7.5.)

Just a quick note- it happens rarely, but if you ever need to  re-boot the phone either (1) hold down the on/off button for about 10  seconds and the phone will ask you if you want to shut down (say yes) or  (2) slide the keyboard out, turn off the phone, pop-open the battery  cover and take out the battery for 30 seconds or so.

My few  re-boots have almost exclusively been after installing low quality  apps.  The phone starts acting "funny" or slow - and it's NEVER normally  slow.  I will usually unistall the suspect app.  This happens on my  friends' iPhones too; it seems that eventhough Microsoft and Apple are  "controlling" what apps are allow to appear for installation in  Marketplace, still dodgy junk gets through their testing.

Cheers-

Joe (FIORE19833)

Journeyman

Nice guys but no one else has chimed in if  your "fix" is the solution. My first Arrive worked fine. Switched phone over to a different account. 3G data worked fine before and after. Phone was replaced due to volumn button failing. New phone didn't work on 3G data out of the gate. Even before I made it to this thread, a sprint tech and I already went through all the settings. Everything was what it should be. They are sending me a another phone. I will ensure it's working on 3G data. If not, I'll be calling them again. ANd again, and again. At the 4th time of replacement in 6 months, they will be replacing the phone with a different brand/type. Lucky as you two may have been, it's not the solution. Just like the samung moments, there is a firmware issue, just like a batch of TREO 800W's that is causing some issues with the radio connection for 3G/EVDO on these phones. If you get (or I) a replacement and it works, we are lucky to have one from a different set of chips that WORKS. Once it's all fixed, I'll be asking for my 10.00 credit for that "premium data" that I never got to use due to bad hardware. I'll check back and see if there are any other posts in regards to this problem. Oh and Microsoft, stick to making OS's for PC's. You suck at OS's for phones. But your MP3 player rocks.

Journeyman

Same scenario here...

I've been on the phone with sprint this morning and then the chat support later today. Problem still not solved.

Journeyman

The locally triggered master network reset from the device ##72786# doesn't work on WP7 it only works for the other devices...Following the instructions found on Bing and Google.... und a common device error fixing utility that claims it works for WP7 but instead was only a Desktop/Laptop utility called "ReImage!".  Bypass this utility for the obvious reason... I found the only solution to this problem is to connect up to Zune and roll back the 7720 Mango update to 7.5 test connectivity there and then re-do the upgrade with the most up-to-date version of the Zune software. If you do not have a restore point set by the Zune software, then you'll have reset the phone back to default settings and then take it from the default OS version 7.10 back to the 7.10.7720 Mango and re-test at that point. Calling Sprint will simply result in a waste of time as they will have you go through the Service Tools to verify your Data connections ##DATA# ton configure your data profile. The issue you will run into in doing so is that your Username, HomeAgents and most importantly your HA Shared Secret and AAA Shared Secret Values will not be provided (this is required for a manual data reset).... All other options suggested including conducting a "Change Network Profile" will not work as you will need a Data Protection to do so "catch 22" (it will not work over your Wifi connection as expected :-) )

Journeyman

( ERROR CODE 0x80072FA8 )  -  The ONLY WAY to fix an issue (on WindowsPhone7) with data not working (if you have exhausted all the other options above) is to go to SETTINGS > ABOUT > RESET MY PHONE.  WARNING!!!!!  This WILL ERASE ALL DATA ON your phone, which IS necesssary to reset the "Data Profile".  The ##786# and the ##675# options as well as the ##3282# all take you to the same place on a WindowsPhone7 and they don't seem to change anything.  The DATA PROFILE seems to be an integral part of the WP7 software setup when initiating and activating a new phone on the SPRINT Network.  I guess you can think of it like a new computer (PC)  that doesn't boot right the first time... you have to start from scratch and I honeslty believe I would have found the work around if there was one.

PS - It also appears that if you lose your Username "NotMe@sprintpcs.com... then what Sprint has on their end and what you have in the DATA PROFILE section that you reach with one of the ##CODES above MUST MATCH in order for Data to function over the 3G connection.  It also appears that when switching phones, that EMAIL will be different than your prior phone.  the SPRINT Tech and I tried to make it the same and we could not.

Journeyman

Would you be able to give the exact steps you went through to do this? I can seem to figure it out, and tech support just ignored my request to check if everything was current and tried to do the standard troubleshooting after I told them it wasn't working for the 7th time.

Master

Emily_dodge

Can you please advise which Airave you are using and what problems you are encountering. Are all lights connected, and a steady green, but the device still won't connect?

Let us know.

Zena

Social Care Team

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat