cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not pleased. (Another post about the 160 character limit)

Journeyman

So, I happened upon something most interesting today, and it's something that saddens me greatly. I love my Arrive, and I really at some point wish to use it to send long text messages as I have done on many a phone before it. (Epic, Evo, Evo Shift, etc). Text messages are my primary means of communication, and I regularly type long messages. I've been trying to reach people at Sprint and HTC trying to get some resolution out of someone.

Finally, I did get in contact with someone at Sprint, who mentioned that nothing's being fixed, and in fact, the user manuals are being modified to reflect this. I was in disbelief at first, but then I actually loaded up the manual, and lo and behold, it was true. The manuals are now modified to reflect the fact that the Arrive has an SMS limit of 160 characters that will NEVER be fixed, despite the fact that other CDMA WP7 phones can do this, like the HTC Trophy.

Here's the proof: Before and after.

I would just like to take some time to voice my immense disappointment with this. Instead of simply fixing the problem, HTC just heavily retconned their user manuals to try and make it seem as if this "feature" never existed. And because of the recent disappearance of the 1-year upgrade credit, I'm stuck with this phone for a long time to come.

It might be a small thing with the SMS limit, but to me, it's not that. It's the principal of the situation. We were promised something. It was broken from the outset. Instead of just, y'know, giving it to us, HTC just tries to wave their hands and leave us out in the cold.

I would like to hope Sprint or someone could step in and pick up this slack in one way or another, but I'm not going to expect it.

I just feel screwed.

10 REPLIES 10

Journeyman

It can't be Microsoft though. The CDMA code is there. The CDMA HTC Trophy can split messages just fine, and it has been able to do so since NoDo. It either has to be a Sprint (highly unlikely, since the 7 Pro CDMA on US Cellular suffers the same problem) or HTC problem.

Re: Not pleased. (Another post about the 160 character limit)

Problem could be with Htc as Exxodium pointed out in his post at the bottom of the page 6

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp7-wppeople/160-character-limit-for-txt-messages-...

Nope. Every other phone on Sprint can send more than 160 characters. This is something that HTC chose to do with the Arrive specifically.

Journeyman

Exactly my point.

Directly contacting HTC has failed, so the only other way around this is complaining to Sprint, who could then in turn complain to HTC. Because in the end here, Sprint loses.

Highlighted

I found this information by looking Htc On Better Busineess Bureau Website.

Here are some phones to try out

H T C America Inc (Headquarters)

(425) 679-5318

(866) 449-8358

(713) 774-7888

13920 SE Eastgate Way Ste 400

Bellevue, WA 98005-4440

http://www.htc.com

Journeyman

I got some resolution. Not much though. They say this is a Sprint restriction, which I don't believe because every other phone on Sprint can split messages effectively.

Journeyman

I am also one that sends few but long thoughted txts at times I hate the fact when I go over the limit there is No sound notification or nothing since I'm staring at the keyboard and not the screen as I'm doing now. Sprint didn't do a damn thing for this phone expect add there bloatware and sprint zone just to remind customers to pay there bill and that there next upgrade is far far a way like a galaxy that I heard of. Help us with these small updates because they seem more like glitches than overlooked features. Basics tasks on this phone is not here and that's why I switched from evo, was for the "Straight to the point phone" give me texts, Vvm(Visual voicemail) and a more stable 3g connection because even the connection acts like 4g alot when sitting still outside.

-Sent from my Windows Phone 7

Journeyman

Wholeheartedly agree with your post friend.  Sprint needs to step up and care about the Windows Phone user base.  To let it slide go down is a wasted opportunity, especially since Microsoft's ecosystem is probably going to be a real contender in a year's time. 

Of course what am I saying.  Sprint does stupid crap like this all the time.  It's no wonder they're only mediocre and not the best.  Seriously, if it wasn't for the awesome monthly rate and true unlimited data...

Journeyman

This problem is clearly not getting fixed.  For those of you that would at least like an option, check out this app I started using which helps alot.  Txt Stamp.  Hope it's some help for everyone.

Journeyman

yes, way annoying.  now im having issues with sending mms of any kind

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat