cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Petition for HD3/WP7 phone on Sprint NOW!!!!!!! - not a year from now - please post

Journeyman

Re: Petition for HD3/WP7 phone on Sprint NOW!!!!!!! - not a year from now - please post

Get the WP7 phones Sprint--or keep losing your Premier business customers.  What a lost opportunity to compete directly with the i-phone market and AT&T.  Are you that inept?

Journeyman

Re: Petition for HD3/WP7 phone on Sprint NOW!!!!!!! - not a year from now - please post

For those of you who will remain with Sprint they do plan on carrying this toaster sized beast some time next year.   Hopefully you enjoy wearing cargo or parachute pants  - Hammer Time!   Can't touch this (don't want to either).

Journeyman

There were about 10 new WP7 phones released today and the only one Sprint said they plan on carrying can double as a boat anchor.  You could also use the Sprint Pro model to prop open a rolling cage door in case you need to slide under and steal some precious art work.   The Samsung Omnia 7 doesn't look shabby either -

Highlighted
Journeyman

Here's a quote from CNET, Sprint couldn't get Windows Phone 7 now because WP7 doesn't support CDMA just yet, which is why Verizon isn't a launch partner either.

“We had to make some trade-offs,” senior product manager Greg Sullivan told CNET. “Even Microsoft doesn’t have unlimited resources. We had to prioritize doing fewer things, really, really well.”

“For the worldwide market, the vast majority of phones are GSM phones, so we focused on GSM first and then plan to deliver an update that will have great CDMA support in the first half of 2011,” Sullivan said. “That’s device availability in the first half and we’re very confident of that. That’s probably a conservative estimate.”

“Look, we could do more things, or we could do fewer things really, really well. We chose intentionally to do fewer things really, really well. We absolutely have to build that quality first and then we have to quickly achieve reach and scale,” he said

Journeyman

The reason I started the petition is because Sprint has a habit of picking the phones I don't want and yet again they achieve consistent failure.   They picked the Pro phone which is great for people who like boat anchors.   Mind you I realize there are some people that want physical keyboards and I believe Sprint SHOULD carry phones with keyboards but I also know not everyone wants a keyboard (for example people who chose the iphone - I think there are a few of them).   The HD7 and the Omnia 7 are great phones but currently they aren't on the Sprint verizon which push me towards Verizon Wireless.

I was just looking at the Verizon web page and thinking I wish Sprint had gotten the imagio - I wouldn't have so much new phone envy if I could have gotten that a couple of years ago when it was more current.

Journeyman

Verizon hasn't even announced a SINGLE handset based off WP7 and has been quoted as

"Verizon chief operating officer and president Lowell McAdam doesn't see Microsoft as a major player in mobile, saying the future lies with Android, Blackberry, and the iPhone." While a VZW spokesperson was quoted on bloomberg saying that they will probably release a WP7 sometime in 2011.

Atleast sprint has stated that they will definitely be getting a WP7 in early 2011.

Ironically people on the verizon forums are flipping out as well saying they will change carriers because Verizon hasn't officially announced support for WP7

Actually I switched to Sprint from VZW a couple years ago because VZW had a tendency to gimp their phones for a while (reducing ram, removing features etc) and they had a really piss poor selection to choose from, but admittedly they've gotten a lot better in these past couple years.

I agree with you that it would be nice if Sprint would increase their selection of phones, but making statements like "SPRINT RELEASE WP7 NOW!!!' or "I'M SWITCHING BECAUSE SPRINT REFUSES TO BE A LAUNCH PARTNER FOR WP7" are kind of shortsighted granted they have no control over something like that.

Journeyman

I'm not sure where you read either of those quotes but I can understand someone leaving any carrier that doesn't offer phones that the end user wants.   Mind you if Sprint unlocked their network I'm sure we'd see a lot more phones to choose from and get them sooner but that isn't the way Sprint rolls.

Journeyman

I'm not sure what you mean about "if sprint unlocked their network" CDMA isn't like GSM where you get a SIM card and can swap between different devices.  Both Verizon and Sprint are CDMA. AT&T and T-mobile are GSM which is why they are getting WP7 phones first.

Anyway the quotes are from here

McAdam's quote http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/10/08/verizon_windows_phone_7_wet_blanket/

Verizon probably releasing a phone in 2011 quote http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-09-16/verizon-won-t-sell-microsoft-windows-phone-7-at-start.html

WP7 Not ready for CDMA at launch quote http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-20016752-56.html

Journeyman

An unlocked network means you can put any compatible device on the network and you get to use it.   Verizon has unlocked their network.  Tmobile and ATT have unlocked networks.   The issue is Sprint has the only compatible phones with Verizon so even if you liked a Sprint phone and wanted to use it on Verizon you can't because Sprint won't release the phones so that you can put them on Verizon.   Sprint doesn't allow you to put any ESN you want on their network, it has to be a Sprint phone.   Verizon will let you put any ESN you want on their network however the phone has to be unlocked first and Sprint won't do that with their phones - clear enough?

CDMA isn't any more challenging to configure than GSM, the difficulty comes in when a provider says we have to approve what phone you sell as you have to sell through us.  And before we approve your phone we want it so it can sit in a drawer for several months and we can claim we tested it.   Then we'll tell you we want you to install Sprint Store crap and other things to slow down your phone, use up precious memory and delay any firmware updates you might like to offer.

Verizon offered the Kin which was a fiasco so Verizon is taking it slow with WP7.   Since that is one shy CDMA provider, that leaves Sprint and since sprint is a locked network, it only makes sense for HTC to make it a low priority.

So to get back to the orignal post of this thread which for whatever reason you didn't read or read what you wanted to read, heard what you wanted to hear (you sound a lot like one of my ex-girlfriends).   My original post was about wanting Sprint to release a SLIM, big screened fast phone.   Sprint currently only has a FAT WP7 phone on their roadmap.   As to the other point of my orignal post - Android has come a long way with 2.2 - it is much more business friendly.

Journeyman

IMHO - these videos compare 2 of the best WP7 phones.   Oh and it shows the Mozart as well which isn't really as good as the other 2 but it is in the videos as well.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/20/samsung-omnia-7-takes-on-htcs-hd7-and-7-mozart-in-battle-for-wp/