cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint officially discontinues the Arrive; no replacement in sight.

Journeyman

Sprint officially discontinues the Arrive; no replacement in sight.

WPCentral posted this morning an article which began with the following - (click 'an article' to see it)

We reported a few weeks ago that Sprint threw down the flag on the venerable HTC Arrive, giving the device end-of-life (EOL) status. Now tonight, we can sadly report that Sprint has all but wiped the device from its online site, making the Arrive officially a has-been. Store availability is expected to be very limited with only replacement devices available for order.

This is truly upsetting. I've been with Sprint for almost 6 years now and up until this year I've been pretty satisfied. This is a big kick to the guts of anyone who doesn't want an iPhone or Android device. Aside from a 6 month fling with the original EVO, I've either owned a Windows Mobile or Windows Phone device, with a FEW of those being purchased at full retail.

If I see NO WORD of Sprint on a Windows Phone 8 device by December, I'm leaving. I'd prefer to be with a carrier that supports choice and the kinds of devices I want to have.

C'mon, Sprint... time is ticking. Get your head out of Apple's rear end.

10 REPLIES 10
Journeyman

Re: Sprint officially discontinues the Arrive; no replacement in sight.

I agree.  This was the ONE phone that had everything that I wanted for work/life keyboard, and most of all a WINDOWS phone.  I'm not interested in the $$$$ Motorola and there doesn't seem to be another windows phone planned for spirnt.  Sadness.  Don't want to leave after being a Sprint customer for many years but I too have to follow 'the phone' to AT&T.

Journeyman

Now, with the news that T-Mobile is going to be offering unlimited data, I know where I'll be taking my business after 10+ years.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/21/t-mobile-leak-suggests-truly-unlimited-4g-data-add-on-launchin/

Wizard

I'm with you. I like the potential I see in Windows mobile devices lately, but I'm wary. I'm sure you've followed the disaster that is the Microsoft mobile device strategy for the past 4-5 years. Sprint and Verizon have been burned, I'd even say charred, by Microsoft's foolishness in the past. Any carrier that puts economy and value at the top of its list would be wise to steer clear of Microsoft mobile products this year. And who could blame them? Market share for Windows devices has been falling steadily for several years, and Microsoft only managed to stop the bleeding by 0.1% in 2Q2012. That's not very encouraging.

To make matters worse, after lackluster sales of WP 7 devices, Microsoft hung its very small customer base out to dry by announcing that WP 8 will not be offered to existing devices WP 7 devices. That's a kick in the head for the faithful few.

So, while I would love a WP 8 device, there's no way I'm going to invest my money and sign a new 2-year contract on a very dark horse in the mobile race.

Check out this article for some sobering news:

http://www.businessinsider.com/finally-microsoft-has-stopped-losing-market-share-in-mobile-phones-20...

Journeyman

This pretty much ensures that I will go to another carrier. And I have had sprint for the majority of my adult life.  The HTC Arrive was my first windows mobile phone, and I have NEVER had a phone that was more dependable. Other than shotty coverage where I live, which has everything to do with the area and NOTHING to do with the phone, I have had NO issues. 

Sprint.....I.

ARE

DISAPPOINT

Really. The iphone sucks. And you have given away your soul to acquire it and left the rest of us, who refuse to own an iphone, to suffer. Thanks a bunch. Verizon will be happy to have me come December.

Journeyman

I too will be taking my business to Verizon starting with my wife's line when WP8 becomes available. Then in April I will hop onto her plan. I've been with Sprint for around 3+ years, and since they are not offering the Lumia line, or any Windows Phone that I prefer with a larger screen and no physical keyboard. I'm happily jumping ship and will be paying the same price over on Verizon. Not to mention their coverage is far superior. It's been nice knowing you Sprint, but I'd rather be with a company that will support my needs. I use my phone on a daily basis and want what I prefer, not what you will force me to use.

iPhone is just an icon hub and Android is too buggy for my tastes. Windows Phone is geared towards business and getting stuff done. It's too bad that the people at Sprint don't visit these forums.

Journeyman

Any stories yet as to why they killed off the Arrive?  I'm still a big fan of smartphones with physical keyboards, and my HTC Touchpro2 is starting to approach antique status.  Sprint now has only one offering, and I'm reluctant to go Android.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi James.  If you have a Microsoft Store around, they still give them for free with a 2 year commitment if they have any in stock.  Or Contract free for around $200 new on ebay.  Story is, its a little old.  Most phones get "end of life status" after so many months (12-16 +/-).  still a great phone.  Now the other story is Sprint is not very big an Windows Phone so if you are waiting for a new model this year, you may be out of luck.  I am with you on going with Android myself.  Too many issues with my family with the Shift, Evo4g, Hero.  New phones are likely much better but after going Windows Phone, I will not be going back anytime soon.

Journeyman

Thanks Venom, I'll go check it out.  I just reviewed my records and was surprised to find out that my Touchpro2 is less than three years old; I thought I had it longer.  But, I guess in the world of mobile phones, three years is an eternity.  I suspect it's on its last legs as, in addition to its usual quirks, it's now developed a tendency to restart whenever I slide out the keyboard. 

Perhaps if I can switch over to an Arrive, it can carry me through to when something I really want becomes available; even if it means jumping ship again to get it. 

Technology's a GOOD thing; but it's just too bad how much time we have to spend putzing around with it to make it work. 

Journeyman

Hello Venom, a little followup here:

The Microsoft Store said that they no longer have any HTC Arrives, and my local Sprint store was about as helpful as they usually are (ie, not very).  But, they did say that if I brought one in (that wasn't stolen...they actually SAID that!), they could connect it to the plan I currently have with My HTC Touchpro2 plus an additional $10/month data fee.  They also tried to sell me on iphones and Androids, despite the fact I told him I liked physical keyboards and didn't want an Android.  (He asked me why I didn't like Androids, and I told him because of a lot of negative reviews.  His response was that ALL reviews are negative.  Well sorry, that's not really true.  If one reads through them and there's a recurring theme, I do tend to believe them.) 

I was able to find a new Arrive on Amazon for about the same price you estimated, and hopefully it'll tide me over until something I really want (primarily, faster) shows up.  Thanks again for your input. 

James 

Message was edited by: James_Seattle

Journeyman

An update here: Even though it has been officially discontinued by Sprint, after a good suggestion from this forum, I purchased an HTC Arrive off of Amazon and had my Sprint service transferred over to it from my (semi) trusty venerable old Windows Mobile HTC Touchpro2.  The HTC TP3 had been a little glitchy at times, I'd been pretty happy with it.  But, it was getting old and problematic; so what to do?  No Touchpro3 to move on to, I like a large physical keyboard, and I'd heard too much concerning input on the Androids.

I've now lived with the Arrive for a couple of weeks now, and I LIKE it.  It's the exact same size as the Touchpro2 except for a smidge thinner, so it even fits in the case I'd been using with the TP2.  After figuring out all the functions, it can do everything the TP3 could do, do most of them better and less glitchier, and also offers some additional useful features as well.  Why the Arrive wasn't better promoted, didn't sell better, and got cancelled makes no sense to me.  Hopefully when the time comes to retire the Arrive, someone will have come up with a 4G version of it. 

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat