Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tried to pre-order the Arrive, but store employees were clueless

Go to solution
Journeyman

Tried to pre-order the Arrive, but store employees were clueless

Went into my local corporate Sprint store today and asked about pre-ordering the Arrive. I got a look of confusion. The first person I spoke with hadn't heard of the phone.

He turned around and asked another employee about it. His response was, "We're not taking pre-orders for that phone, because when it's released they're going to send us enough for anyone who wants one."

I told them about the website sprint.com/arrive, and the guy said, "Yeah, you can just pre-order online and then pick it up here when it launches." I informed him that the website says to come into a store to pre-order. It was then that the first guy said, "Let me see if our manager is here." He got on the phone and spoke to someone for a little while, mentioning the website. He came back, asked me for my name and phone number, and put me on the in-store waiting list to be helped.

I waited for about 10 minutes until I was called over to a young lady. I walked up and said, "I'd like to pre-order the Arrive." She took my name and number again, asked me to wait and then walked into the back. As she was gone I contemplated leaving and just waiting to purchase from Best Buy on the 20th. When she returned she said that right now they were not taking pre-orders because they had not yet gotten any instruction from Sprint on how to start the pre-order list. She did say that they had a demo device in the store (which I asked to see, but to no avail) and would be training on the device soon. She told me that the manager would keep my information (which she had written on a pink post-it note) and call me when they knew what to do.

I know I'm not the only person to get such a response from stores throughout the country. Anybody from Sprint want to comment on this? Is it the store manager, or Sprint themselves not disseminating information on what the pre-order process is?

53 REPLIES 53
Wizard

Musicman- I apologize if my reply was ambiguous or insulting.  I was attempting to say, "Yep, you're right, you did everything we asked you to and we screwed up."  Sorry if that didn't come through the first time. I'm working with the Retail team to close the gap so we can fix the issue.  I also forwarded on the store number so thanks for that.  Stay tuned for more as I learn it.  Thanks again for your loyalty and for bringing the issue to light. -art

View solution in original post

Journeyman

SP_ARTLOVESKC wrote:

Musicman- I apologize if my reply was ambiguous or insulting.  I was attempting to say, "Yep, you're right, you did everything we asked you to and we screwed up."  Sorry if that didn't come through the first time. I'm working with the Retail team to close the gap so we can fix the issue.  I also forwarded on the store number so thanks for that.  Stay tuned for more as I learn it.  Thanks again for your loyalty and for bringing the issue to light. -art

No problem. I guess I was just so used to getting the run-around that I took your response incorrectly.

Thank you for looking into this. I really do want to give Sprint my money!

Thanks again for your attention, and your further clarification of the issue!

Journeyman

Wow, that was fast!

Just came from the same Sprint store, and the difference was instant. The greeter knew about the phone, but apologized that they were not taking pre-orders at this time. When asked why she said that they did not have any gift cards in stock and there would be no way to put $50 down on the device.

She stated that they had been talking with the Regional Manager recently and trying to figure out the whole thing. She told me that I should just come back when the phone is launched to receive a device.

Whatever you did, Art, you definitely made the store aware of the device and the pre-order process, so thank you again!

Too bad I still couldn't pre-order. Oh well, I'll still buy it...unless a better Windows Phone is announced on the 22nd.

Wizard

Glad to hear your experience was better.  I just ensured the channel operations folks were aware of the issue and reinforced the process with the field (in addition to addressing the particular store in question).  Bummer about the gift card stock.  I sure wish they had them in stock so you would be able to make your deposit.  Please let me know if you have any issues or questions once the phone launches on 3/20.  Thanks, -art

Journeyman

I went to my local company store today and as I've said a few times, I really do not like going in there. The employees all seem to be on some sort of power trip and treat customers with no respect. They think anyone who doesn't work there is an idiot and I've made it a point to avoid that place as much as possible.

Anyway, I walked in and told them that I'd like to pre-order the Arrive. The guy snickered and said they weren't taking pre-orders. Previous experience tells me that an argument with anyone in that store is a headache waiting to happen so I decided to mildly irritate them and ask if the store 1/4 mile away was offering the pre-orders. He smartly responded that he didn't know what they were doing because they weren't a company store (I knew this already) then told me that there wouldn't be an issue getting one, there won't be lines out of the door or anything.... My idea for getting on the pre-order list was for that very reason, demand is expected to be low so if the shipped stock is low, those first few may be the only ones who get them until supply is adjusted to match whatever demand there is.

I expect the pre-order to be a waste of time assuming there will be sufficient stock, but, if the company offers it and the only way to get it done is to go into a company store which refuses to provide that pre-order I call that a problem. I waited this long to go into the store because I was planning a trip that was just cancelled today otherwise I'd have gone in the day they announced the phone.

Why are things being handled in this way? It's extremely frustrating to the consumers who waited the months since the announcement that CDMA would not be supported to now have some convoluted way of getting on the pre-order list. I got all kinds of offers for the Galaxy Tab that I didn't want and as a Premier customer even had the opportunity to get one early. I'll be out bright and early on Sunday to get my phone, but, I will not be at my local store and I will never set foot in that place again no matter what the reason. I'll drive the 13 miles to the next closest place to avoid that one which is only 2 miles from me.

Journeyman

I feel the same way the 1 once or so times a year I step into the store by me (#1467). I like sprint, the phones, online help and the plans but retail stores need a makeover ASAP. You guys see Wirefly is having the Arrive for 50.00 bucks. I like my plan too much to switch, but might be good for others.

Journeyman

HYSONMB1 wrote:

I went to my local company store today and as I've said a few times, I really do not like going in there. The employees all seem to be on some sort of power trip and treat customers with no respect. They think anyone who doesn't work there is an idiot and I've made it a point to avoid that place as much as possible.

It would probably be helpful to Sprint to give a store number. You can find it by going to http://www.sprintstorelocator.com , finding the store you went to, and then clicking on it on the map. It will show the store number in the Notes section of the callout.

Journeyman

Although I'm very frustrated with my experiences, I didn't want to call them out on the public thread. The store number has been provided to the right person though.

Journeyman

I thought this SP_ARTLOVESKC guy was in top of this arive pre-ordering problem.  What is he just contacting stores that known idiot stores.  He should be sending out an interoffice notice to all of the regional managers informing them to contact their stores and get their stuff together.  This is a perfect example of why the stores are so screwed up, if this guy had done his job this problem would be getting handled nationwide.  I went to the Sprint store today and of course they had no clue about what I was talking about at store #845.  I spoke with one of their employees and she had no clue about a pre-ordering process or how to go about handling the process.  She calls the manager and he instructed her to tell me you can do it online now.  As if I did not know this was not true.  I just said ok and left, because I knew before I went into the store that this was a possiblity and I expected something like this.  Art you need to get on your job son.

Journeyman

ALPHAXI3 wrote:

I thought this SP_ARTLOVESKC guy was in top of this arive pre-ordering problem.  What is he just contacting stores that known idiot stores.  He should be sending out an interoffice notice to all of the regional managers informing them to contact their stores and get their stuff together.  This is a perfect example of why the stores are so screwed up, if this guy had done his job this problem would be getting handled nationwide.  I went to the Sprint store today and of course they had no clue about what I was talking about at store #845.  I spoke with one of their employees and she had no clue about a pre-ordering process or how to go about handling the process.  She calls the manager and he instructed her to tell me you can do it online now.  As if I did not know this was not true.  I just said ok and left, because I knew before I went into the store that this was a possiblity and I expected something like this.  Art you need to get on your job son.

I don't think that's in Art's job description. Art is just the Premiere Community Manager and he happened to be the one who responded to my question. The real person who should be looking into this is Lisa Cole, who (according to Art) is "the product manager who is managing the HTC Arrive launch" (Source) so give Art a break. He is probably going above and beyond his duties and experience.

Journeyman

All -

First I want to than you for all your interest in the HTC Arrive! It is a great phone and I am happy to see that you are just as excited as we are to have one!

I am so sorry there have been issues with corporate stores not knowing about the waitlist. We've been communicating to stores that this was available for several weeks via internal communications and conference calls. After MUSICMAN247's original post, we reached out to the Retail team to ensure they were aware of this issue and we contacted the store directly. Today, after seeing all the issues again, we are sending out another notification informing stores of the waitlist. Can I get your help identifying stores that told you they didn't know anything about the waitlist? I will contact them directly and get this resolved. Again, I want to apologize for all the issues.

Lisa Cole

Journeyman

I went to store #845 in Beachwood Ohio.  I do not plan on going back to that store, because it is a bill payment location and it is always backed up with people who can't pay their bills on time.  I only went to that one, because it is on my way home from work.  The one I usually go to is located in Lyndhurst, OH #252431.  I have not tried there yet, because I was told they are no longer a Sprint corporate store so I thought I would not be able to do the Pre-order there.

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat