cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update to OS 7.8. Sprint please dont leave Arrive users behind for too long.

Journeyman

Re: Update to OS 7.8. Sprint please dont leave Arrive users behind for too long.

I know that for the first time it looks like I can't be mad at Sprint and just be glad that I got to MangoSmiley Happy  I know for a fact I won't be buying an HTC phone because if they can't support me as an early adoptor then I hope the Samsung Phone for Windows 8 has decent features.  If not I may need to look to a Nokia Phone.

Journeyman

Re: Update to OS 7.8. Sprint please dont leave Arrive users behind for too long.

I know that for the first time it looks like I can't be mad at Sprint and just be glad that I got to MangoSmiley Happy  I know for a fact I won't be buying an HTC phone because if they can't support me as an early adoptor then I hope the Samsung Phone for Windows 8 has decent features.  If not I may need to look to a Nokia Phone.

Journeyman

I’m very disappointed in Sprint’s support for the HTC Arrive. Longtime Sprint loyal customer with three phones in account, but I’ll switch to AT&T or Verizon if I see no progress with a new high-end 4G Windows Phone 8. My contract ends very soon. Sprint’s entire focus seems to be on the iPhone.

Journeyman

Sprint will be having a windows phone 8 coming in June. They will have HTC and Samsung. They will also announce and show the windows phone 8 at the Mobile world congress event in Barcelona Spain next week. I would not leave just yet. Your gonna loose your unlimitted data and ATT don't offer Unlimitted Data.

Journeyman

I gave up. HTC 7 Pro users in the UK are getting this update just fine. I'm sick of Sprint's support this phone, it was arguably one of THE best hardware options out there for Windows Phone 7. Engadget claims it had the best hardware keyboard out of any phone they've really seen so far, Maximum PC claimed it was the next best thing short of getting one of those gigantic, relatively unportable laptop docks for the Atrix (in other words, BEST phone keyboard). Windows Phone worked pretty darn well on this thing, and the battery life wasn't too shabby. Some people were even saying earlier that it's one of Sprint's highest rated phones, even if the user base is a little small. I found it hard to find things to complain about honestly about this phone, it did what I needed it to do (when I had SERVICE these past 2 years, usually I just hunted down a WiFi network...), and Microsoft's ideas with developing the UI further were awesome.  I'm glad we got NoDo and Mango. But missing Tango and then WP7.8, the one thing Microsoft worked pretty darn hard over the months (ticked off some customers while they were at it) to get something akin to WP8 out so we wouldn't be too left in the dust. I don't get Sprint's ideas anymore to be honest, I remember when Sprint used to put out ads with Dan Hesse as frontman, claiming how Sprint gave you better plans, and better phones, and helped you make the most out of them. Well remembering that brings me down a little.

I'm going to hate leaving this phone. I really am. I'm not kidding when I say I delayed a phone purchase by half a year to wait this guy out. But hello other carriers and Windows Phone 8. "Other" carriers run unlimited data now. Tired of the crud reception and support.

ROMs have been available for awhile. I'm running a release version of WP7.8 currently on my Arrive via a forced update. Not a solid update, some random restarts on occasion, but I'm loving MICROSOFT's official concept of resizable live tiles actually. Plus that darn dropping keyboard glitch is gone. And MMS is working now. Whoopee for people fed up with "the quiet treatment". If I was given some sort of reason as to why we're being ignored, then I'd be less annoyed about this. Might have even felt bad and considered sticking with Sprint for WP8. Maybe something else even if they could point me elsewhere from WP. C'est la vie.

Journeyman

I just updated my HTC Arrive to Windows Phone 7.8  (7.10.8858.136).  It went pretty easy with a tool from this website:

http://windowsphonehacker.com/articles/want_windows_phone_7.8_now_try_this_easy_tool-01-31-13

It processed about 5 or 6 updates, with a reboot of the phone in between each update.  It took about 40-45 minutes for the full process.  Here is an overview of the experience:

Download and un-zip the above tool.  Run the installer and it will complain that you don't have the developer tools installed.  It will download and install them for you.
Click the button to begin the update and it will detect your current phone OS version and download an update.  Installs that update, reboots phone, downloads another update, installs to phone, reboots phone, downloads another, installs, reboots phone, performs a backup of the phone (this took the longest), installs another update, reboots phone, installs another update, and reboots the phone.
On the final boot you have the Windows Phone start screen in blue and the tool tells you it was successful

First impressions:

It makes the tiles larger by removing the blank black line on the right of the phone screen.  Immediate improvement!  It moves the little arrow all the way to the bottom of the tiles.  Sadly the arrow no longer gracefully rotates when you move to your full list of programs. 
I like the new colors!

I can make many tiles larger, or smaller.  Some tiles (Facebook for example) can go smaller, but not to the larger size.

Tiles can be re-arranged in many different ways, including being off-set (half way between 2 other tiles).

This build does NOT include the Nokia marketplace.  I might do some research to find a build which includes the Nokia apps.

The update did not impact my data or user accounts.  All emails, TXT messages, photos, and account information remained intact.

I had to accept a new Microsoft disclaimer on first use of Voice to TXT feature.

The new Voice to TXT is MUCH more accurate and a LOT faster than the old version.

Tiles seem more lively with their animations.  They flip faster, with a bit of a snap at the end of the animation.

Hotmail app opens faster, seems faster on deleting emails and closing the app too.

Internet Explorer seems faster.

The clock remains in the top right of the phone when you scroll tiles.  The tiles move behind the clock.  Nice.

Updating my wife's phone now.  This update should allow us to finish out our contract with Sprint before moving to a Nokia Lumia 920 in the fall.

Journeyman

Thanks for the play by play, I was afraid to try the update till I read your post

Journeyman

Update went well on my wife's phone too.  She likes the new tiles.  If you're using an Arrive you should go ahead and update to 7.8.

Journeyman

Still a little scary, how did you handle the language issue, just choose all of them or what?

Journeyman

If your afraid to do upgrade to 7.8 don't do it. I am in Barcelona Spain for the world mobile congress and sprint will be announcing there windows phone 8 of Htc and Samsung coming to sprint. For me I rather wait and don't waste your time doing update for htc arrive because if you brick your arrive sprint will not help you. I rather have full windows 8 features than waste time updating htc arrive. Just be glad sprint has brought back windows phone. My htc arrive 7.5 been working find so no need update to 7.8. Once sprint have wp8 available in Summer I am getting it. So it's up too you wait or update 7.8. Again at least I know sprint will have wp8 soon! Can't wait see it here on Monday when they announce new wp8 for sprint.

Journeyman

For the language choose US English, nothing else.

I'm not really interested in waiting to see whether Sprint offers Windows Phone 8 devices.  They haven't been a good partner in supporting the Windows Phone 7 devices, so why would I get a Windows Phone 8 and sign a new contract with a company that has already shown they don't want to be a good partner?  If they don't want to be a good partner to me then I will move to another carrier with a proven track record of supporting Windows Phone.  Other carriers provided the 7.8 update, but Sprint did not.  What happens when Microsoft releases Windows Phone 8.1 or 8.5 or 8.9?  Sprint will probably leave you dangling in the breeze while other carriers make those updates available to their customers.  Sprint gave us 7.1, but not 7.5 or 7.8.  Their record does not make me confident.

I've been using Sprint many years, but not much longer.  I want the Lumia 920.

Journeyman

Your wrong about saying sprint didn't give us 7.5 mango they did gave it to us. Just not 7.8 Also if you don't trust sprint havinging next windows 8.1 or next version than there the Door. Good luck in getting over charges of no unlimitted data plans out there. Also your wrong with sprint saying leave you dangling if there is another release of update. Sprint has signed a deal wth HTC and Samsung to have Windows phone back since lumia 920 was selling likes hotcakes. So i have feeling they will keep windows phone for now to stay. Again it a total waste of time updating to 7.8 has only thing of this 7.8 is just change of the Tiles. Has big deal i can wait for new windows phone 8 to arrive with all the latest features. Also your wrong about sign a new contract just to get windows phone 8. You don't have sign a new contract. You can just purchase the windows phone 8 only and still use your current contract. That's what i do. If you want lumia 920 go ahead get it like i said the door is open. But good luck on watching your data at ATT

I can wait to see New sprint windows phone 8 debut on monday.

http://www.mobileworldcongress.com/

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat