Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evo 3D Ice Cream Sandwich update nightmare

Journeyman

Evo 3D Ice Cream Sandwich update nightmare

I did the OTA update to ICS when it came out (normally I wait until potential bugs are worked out, but for some reason my trigger finger was itchy, so....).  Thank god this is a "spare" phone because it hasn't worked right since.

It reboots constantly (about every 10 minutes).  I've tried disabling anything that loads automatically (Tasker, Go Launcher Ex, etc.), no difference.  Finally I gave up and decided to wipe it out and do a factory reset.  It won't do that, either!!  The volume button method doesn't work at all, so I went into system settings and did it that way.  It takes forever (with no messages that it's even doing anything), then reboots and actually says it's doing a reset, then it comes back and everything is still there.  Nothing gets reset.

I simply haven't had the time to be on the phone with customer serivce or head to a retail store, so I'm throwing this out to the Sprint user-verse.  Anyone?

JMF

59 REPLIES 59
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Evo 3D Ice Cream Sandwich update nightmare

I am in Germany and having the same problem.  Another feed said to take it to a spint store to downgrade.. Unfortunatly that won't work for me, Hope it does for you

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had noticed many prominent bugs/changes with this "upgrade". Volumes are all over the map - you set them, then they disappear.

Twice now the volume for my alarm has gone silent, causing me to be late.

Webpage bookmarks are useless - no longer can you just drag the list down, you have to start typing the addy and let it autofill.

Appears as though all apps have been changed to auto updates, including the crap bloatware. My battery rarely makes it through a light day now.

The new voicemail is inconsistent.

Texts are on a delay.

Some sites like Hotmail simply don't render. I just downloaded the Hotmail app as a quick fix.

It took it upon itself to rearrange my home screen

I'm usually pretty on board with OS upgrades, but this one blows. I'm going to see if I can revert back somehow. I had no issues with the old system.

I know I didn't answer you, but hopefully my negativity offers some sympathy.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My alarm has done the same thing since the update - without any changes being made, the alarm will decide to go silent one day after working the next.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had the same issue.  I went to the Sprint store where they were unable to fix it.  I had to get a replacement phone.  I won't be installing the ICS update until the bugs are resolved.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Does anyone know how to set static ip with "Sandwich upgrade"?

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

From settings click WiFi icon, With WiFi on, tap the network you want to manually assign an IP address in, tap forget. when you reconnect check the box for "Show advanced options" change IP settings from DHCP to Static.

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Have you modified the ROM, or bootloader of your phone?

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello, I too have noticed my ringer/alarm volumes going to silent after headset, or car stereo disconnects, I use Volume control + because it has the Bluetooth/headset preset for when a headset is detected. I’m not sure if it’s related. Before this problem can be looked into by the developers a pattern has to be identified as to why/when this occurs. Have any of you noticed this after using a Bluetooth device, a wired headset, or at times when you have an appointment set marked busy? 

For Hotmail, are you going to www.hotmail.com, or m.hotmail.com? do you have the show desktop website box checked?

I have not seen delays in SMS/Gmail/voicemail.

For browser are you saying something about the bookmarks feature, or noting that the auto populate in the address bar has changed?

Regarding battery life, Which types of email/sync accounts do you have setup? Do you turn off unused features? When finished with an application do you press the house button, or press back until you have returned to home (or press menu > exit if the option exists)? Do you use live wallpapers, or updating widgets? Do you use any type of task manager, task killer, or security software?

Highlighted
Journeyman

we are all having problems with the evo 3d . , it's time to tell sprint who discontinued sale of this phone lone befoer a year had past, do wide speard issues with the evo 3d and some even with the evo 4g. time to say we had enough with the phone issues, the tech support, (and the worst of all) the take it into the stroe. it's time for you and htc to do the right thing, one put it out before it's time, the other marketed it to us before it's time. sprint won't release you from this phone because htc won't allow it. does this sound right to you? if it does not then speak up, tell sprint, tell everyone you know with this phone or any phone from sprint what they are doing is worng. any the only thing that matters to them is getting our money and not how we feel about the continuous issues we are having with these phone

Highlighted
Journeyman

The sad part about the whole issue is the people who work in ALL the Sprint stores are clueless about it.  My mother-in-law and I switched phones because the basic stuff she uses a phone for works great but everything else that I needed a phone for wouldn't work for crap.  My husband's phone is working as well as to be expected.  He doesn't use his like I use mine so he can limp his along a lot easier than I could.  The sad part is everytime I went to the Sprint stores to have my former 3D worked on they'd either blame another store or blame the apps on my phone which was ridiculous because of the simple fact the only apps I had on there for a good portion of the problem were the apps that came on the freaking phone!  I work in the animal medical industry and need my phone fairly regularly and after getting fed up to the point I was seriously considering leaving Sprint, my awesome mother-in-law found out she was eligible for an upgrade and let me use her eligibility to get an iPhone that could handle my job AND I could take to the Apple store to have them work on instead of the people at Sprint.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Since the update my Evo 3D has been working fine. What type of problems did you have with your Evo 3D after updating?

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat