Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC HD2

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: HTC HD2

Well guys and gals, I figure I'll toss my hat into this discussion as well. I must agree that the HTC Leo/HD2 (I must say I do prefer the name Leo to HD2) is probably the most compelling mobile device I've seen in a good long while. While I believe that Apple made a number of innovations and took the time to include a number of rather obvious 'creature comfort' type bells and whistles I can't stand the phone's root UI or the service provider. We can all agree that even on a 2G GSM network people were drawn to the thing and it has definitely strengthened AT&T's position in the wireless market. Locally they are building new 'Mac Store' themed AT&T outlets... it's kinda creepy.

While a little off topic that does segway  into the following. While a number of the Leo's features are amazing they are, by and large, one of very few attempts to step up to the bar Apple set with the iPhone. As I haven't gotten to play with an HD2 I can't even say how many of Apple's 'duh' features HTC has implemented but, it's nice to see someone actually making the effort. That being said where the Leo shines is in HTC's Sense UI overlay. I've always liked HTC's TouchFlo overlays but, when I finally got to play with the real deal when the Hero's came out for preview a while back and I remember thinking "Finally, someone got the right idea." Sadly, I honestly don't think that in this incarnation the Leo will do too much to unseat Apple's iPhone but, it is the first honest attempt I've seen to compete and personally if both phones ran on any network and were similarly priced I'd choose the HD2 for it's UI even if the backend is WiMo... as least some of the smartphone apps will painlessly link into my Windows 7 apps and syc.

It's true that Sprint has always exercised rather poor judgement when choosing their handsets and I would venture to say that the Pre is their first compelling and stylish handset offering in a good long while. (Yea it's buggy as hell and I hate the damn keyboard but, it is innovative and has a cool UI concept) The Hero is certainly a good effort but, the style of the original seems to have gotten lost in translation... the Sprint version is rather blah and still has a bunch of superfluous input devices. Thankfully Apple has raised the bar  and shown that style has a place in this market and even business centric Sprint is starting to take notice as are the hardware providers. (Granted all of the above seem to have been a little slow on the uptake) Hopefully Sprint will pick up the ball and dive after the Leo but, we have to realize there are a few more things at play that may keep it from our hands unless we jump ship.

Sprint and it's partners (Intel, Google, Clearwire, Comcast and Time Warner) are in the process of rolling out the first 4G WiMAX based network here in the states. We know that HTC has made a WiMAX capable GSM phone and we should hope that Sprint would have the forethought to ask them to do the same for their network. Perhaps even produce another 'world phone.' However, it may not be an easy matter to adapt the Leo to such a purpose. As by all accounts the 4G launch is on the horizon there may be something like the Leo with WiMAX capabilities showing up soon. Another factor to consider is that Sprint and Google are part of this joint venture and the number of WiMo handsets Sprint has decided to carry has been decreasing. Sprint may very well pass on the Leo for an Android based WiMAX enabled sibling to help spur their 4G launch and strengthen their relationship with their business partner. I would also note that HTC has patented a stylus to work with capacitive touch screens so with any luck we may see something like an Android or WiMo multi-touch phone that also supports handwriting recognition.

I can say that being closed lipped about the whole thing doesn't help them. If the iPhone and the video game console wars have taught us anything it's that hype and pre-emptive marketing can create unprecedented demand (Just look at the bloody Wii... how long was it before people could find them reliably in stores?) and it's not like Sprint's stock couldn't use the help... it could certainly keep them from being bought out by DT (if there is any validity to that rumour) and help them recover from their rather unsavoury reputation. The put together that half assed campaign for the Instinct but, as the phone fell so short of even the 2G iPhone's bar it was a best a laughable effort. The kids at Sprint could certainly use a killer campaign to make up for things and generate interest in the company outside of corporate accounts. I just hope that whatever phone they do go with the get something like the Leo and it doesn't have a bunch of useless buttons or a damn slide out keyboard and a trackball.

I know it's against your nature Sprint but, just once I'd like to see you adopt a sleek, full featured phone that isn't a total piece of shite. Now, lock up the bean counters, call HTC and tell them you want something to shame the Leo running Android and with WiMAX and world network support and actually market yourself! We've got Any Mobile, Anytime, and the best Everything Plan out there. We reward our loyal customers and we are building this awesome network. Come to the 4G side, we have cookies! Do this now, I have spoken!

Highlighted
Journeyman

WoefulDerelict wrote:

Sprint may very well pass on the Leo for an Android based WiMAX enabled sibling to help spur their 4G launch and strengthen their relationship with their business partner.

WoeD,

This is really what I would hope also, to get a Leo spec'd phone with Android.  WIMAX, maybe, but no WIMAX until it is a complete rollout of the network.  Dont want to get caught-up in the new net and it isnt at least nationwide access because most likely, knowing Sprint, they wont have duality for WIMAX & CDMA on one unit until 2012. (Which is, as usual, Hella Funny!!!)

Highlighted
Journeyman

all that aside, here's a little more speculation from me.

the leaked photo of the HTC "HD2" from T-Mobile may be named something else.  you don't see HD2 on the photo, nor do you see anything about WinMo.  my guess is that it'll be named something else and sport Android.  T-Mo would grab up so many people from other carriers with something like that.

as for the HTC Dragon, this isn't the HTC HD2 renamed because it will be sporting a different processor.  it'll have one from Texas Instruments instead of Qualcomm.  so that squashes that.

oh, and it (Dragon) may not even hit the US.

source:

HTC Dragon CPU

Message was edited by: mrvirginia

Highlighted
Journeyman

MrVA,

Reading that article it stated that it would be CDMA only.  Now (let's speculate a little deeper here....),  that could signal that the unit could be a test model for the Sprint phone. Doesn't sound too off kilter, if you ask me. The only problem would be then, if the HD2(?) Android (more speculation, of course) hits T-Mo before Sprint gets this bugger to market, it will be a sad day for Sprint (Unless the phone they get can change TV channels on my LCD, wash my truck, do my laundry and go food shopping for me while I am at work, ha). Then I guess DT could purchase Sprint at bargain basement prices (which they are not far from now)

Highlighted
Master

I think, because how recent the phone is, that it would probably take quite a bit of time to port to the Android. Otherwise, I belive we would have probably heard more about it along with all the other leaks when the HD2 surfaced.

Again, just my thought.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Highlighted
Journeyman

I admit I haven't used Android since the first phones came out but I honestly thought it was pretty bad.   I'm no fanboy of WM, mind you.   I'd probably get an iPhone if I could get it on Verizon or Sprint as ATT's network sucks every place I work, live and travel to.    I haven't tried Android 1.6 though so maybe it has improved dramatically but I sure though the original version was pretty darn bad.   It is interesting to me how many people say they want Android.   I'm wondering if it has improved that much or if the people who say they want it have actually tried it or they are just tired of WM (which could use a lot of improvements since 6.5 doesn't really add much at all).

Highlighted
Journeyman

Definitely TIRED of WinMo

Highlighted
Journeyman

boe wrote:

I admit I haven't used Android since the first phones came out but I honestly thought it was pretty bad.   I'm no fanboy of WM, mind you.   I'd probably get an iPhone if I could get it on Verizon or Sprint as ATT's network sucks every place I work, live and travel to.    I haven't tried Android 1.6 though so maybe it has improved dramatically but I sure though the original version was pretty darn bad.   It is interesting to me how many people say they want Android.   I'm wondering if it has improved that much or if the people who say they want it have actually tried it or they are just tired of WM (which could use a lot of improvements since 6.5 doesn't really add much at all).

i was referring to Android on HTC phones personally.  and i say that because HTC throws their Sense UI over it.  looks and is socially better versus WinMo, or even arguably Sense UI over WinMo.  otherwise, not sure which i'd choose if it were between just an Android phone or a just a WinMo phone.  the Sense UI adds a lot more functionality to a device, imo, than any other mobile UI currently out.

Android + Sense UI >>> WinMo (version anything)

WinMo + Sense UI >>> WinMo (version anything)

Highlighted
Journeyman

I understand being tired of WM 6.x.     Have either of you actually used Android?   I was curious what you liked about it as the first version didn't blow any wind up my skirt.

Highlighted
Master

I haven't tried it on any of the most recent ones. But have tried it on a phone that came out at the end of last year beginning of this year (can't remember which one it was). In any case, I just couldn't get used to it and was actually quite glad I got the TP instead.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Highlighted
Master

mrvirginia wrote:

i was referring to Android on HTC phones personally.  and i say that because HTC throws their Sense UI over it.  looks and is socially better versus WinMo, or even arguably Sense UI over WinMo.  otherwise, not sure which i'd choose if it were between just an Android phone or a just a WinMo phone.  the Sense UI adds a lot more functionality to a device, imo, than any other mobile UI currently out.

Android + Sense UI >>> WinMo (version anything)

WinMo + Sense UI >>> WinMo (version anything)

Oh definitely, the whole TF3D experience has made the WinMo phone allot better then it was. And it continues to get better everytime HTC makes changes.

--

Highlighted
Journeyman

boe wrote:

I understand being tired of WM 6.x.     Have either of you actually used Android?   I was curious what you liked about it as the first version didn't blow any wind up my skirt.

Boe, being that you said it "didnt blow wind up your skirt", I am hoping you are a woman (or at least Scottish) but I digress, my daughter's mother has the Hero and it seems very intuitive (so far) to the user (could be the Sense UI, as mrva has noted). The apps are standard fair and are increasing by the day but she says there isnt much lag time from app to app in the OS (dont know if there was for you)

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat