cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC U11 - Unlocked

Highlighted
Journeyman

HTC U11 - Unlocked

**I am posting here, only because there doesn't appear to be a way to create a new board or start a new topic under the HTC category.**

Is the new HTC U11 with Sprint the unlocked version?  If not, does the unlocked version work with Sprint?  On HTC site they list support for Verizon, ATT, and T-mo but not Sprint.  

If I am going to pay full price on a new device, I want it to be unlocked, I no longer trust Sprint to push out updates in a timely fashion once HTC make them available.  Or the security updates. I prefer the HTC, if not, I will wait for the new Pixel. 

15 REPLIES 15
Sprint Social Care

Re: HTC U11 - Unlocked

Thank you for reaching out to us. The Sprint version of the HTC U11 is not the Unlock version. For the second question, we will check with our Device Team. We'll be back with an update.

Jeffrey
Sprint Social Care
Sprint Social Care

Hey! Unfortunately, we don't see any detailed support yet for the device since it wont be launched nationwide until 06/09/2017. Based on HTC's own website though, the unlocked HTC U11 is compatible with AT&T, T‑Mobile and Verizon Networks. We just have to wait and see if it we would have any updates next month.

Jeffrey
Sprint Social Care
GrandMaster

unlocked just means it can be used on any carrier that will accept it. doesnt mean you get direct updates from HTC...the updates will push across whoevers network you have it on as they are pushed out. if you want updates quicker stick with the pixel since those come direct from Google.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Respectfully, I disagree.  The updates for the unlocked version will come from HTC. That is the point of buying unlocked outside of using with any carrier that supports.  HTC will push out the unlocked version then turn over to the carrier for carrier integration. 

That being said, I still understand that updates are not necessarily guaranteed; however, HTC had made a prior commitment to pushing out updates within 60 or 90 days of Google's release. For the most part, HTC has stuck to that commitment, which is why I still stick with their products. The latest Pixel being an HTC as well.  

Now, Sprint, in the past has been good about turning those updates around within a few weeks on the carrier version. This no longer seems to be the case. As the options for purchase are monthly payment or paying out right full cost, one might as well might as well purchase the unlocked, and not rely on Sprint​. Especially, if Sprint chooses not to support a product Sprint insist on being carrier branded. 

Journeyman

I don't see that anyone from Sprint answered this question.  Will the HTC U11 purchased directly from HTC work on the Sprint network?  HTC is also offering additional colors versus the Sprint offering.  I agree with the other users above about paying full price for a phone.  If I'm paying full price, I would prefer to have the unlocked version without Sprint Bloatware.  It seems that if carriers are charging full price for phones now, they should be selling only unlocked versions.  Selling a locked version at retail price seems unethical. 

I'll be watching for 4th of July sales on these devices so a reply from a Sprint Rep would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

GrandMaster

i think any unlocked version of a phone will end up working on Sprints network the same as the Nexus line..it will work but will be limited when it comes to certain Sprint only things. Sprint Zone which is now called something else..wifi calling..etc. those wont be able to be added onto the device.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

It appears the Sprint version will support their newer network they are rolling out; however, as that is not in my area any way, I don't see the benefit of using the carrier version.  

I do agree, I prefer not having the additional bloatware, the Sprint Zone or whatever it is called now, can come in handy but only to monitor what I am using for data.  As I have unlimited, that isn't needed and I can find that information in the system settings regardless. 

The real question is does Sprint block using the unlocked version on their network?  Or is there any other limitation with the unlocked version that would keep it from working on the Sprint network.  

Has anyone tried purchasing the unlocked version and activating on Sprint? 

Journeyman

Sprint_Juan replied to my pm with this:

Thanks for reaching out. The HTC U11 can be purchased through HTC and connected on the Sprint Network. When visiting the website you will be prompted to select the carrier of your choice. Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Journeyman

I am curious to know if anyone has successfully purchased the unlocked U11 and activated it for use on Sprint.

I got a Sprint branded HTC Bolt 7 months ago, and it is awful.  I recently attempted to bring an LG phone to the network to replace the Bolt.  I use my phone to stay in touch with family and need something that is reliable, and the Bolt is NOT.  However, I was told the particular LG G6 I brought in is not compatible with the Sprint network :-(.

I am now really suspicious about Sprint's devices and policies.

GrandMaster

is it a unlocked version of the G6 coming directly from LG?
GrandMaster

if it is the unlocked G6 997US from LG then no it can not be added to Sprint. https://community.sprint.com/t5/LG-G6/Bring-my-own-G6/td-p/964293/page/2 last page.
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat