cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KEEPS TURNING OFF!!!

18 REPLIES
GrandMaster

Re: KEEPS TURNING OFF!!!

THAT one would be a battery issue..more than likely dead cells within the battery itself. do you happen to have any other batteries that can be put into the phone to test it?

SA_Jace wrote:

I'm now having these exact same problems on my EVO, but what's weird is that it's just started happening within the last month or so. All of a sudden my phone will shut off when I'm doing function (email, app, text - random functions) then when I power it back up, the battery is all of a sudden dead. In fact it just did it - I had a 78% charge, tried to send an email & when the phone came back up the battery indicater was red & shut down again - started up again to a red battery & threw it on the charger.  So did anyone ever figure it out... is it an HTC update or a faulty battery?

Journeyman

I'm now having these exact same problems on my EVO, but what's weird is that it's just started happening within the last month or so. All of a sudden my phone will shut off when I'm doing function (email, app, text - random functions) then when I power it back up, the battery is all of a sudden dead. In fact it just did it - I had a 78% charge, tried to send an email & when the phone came back up the battery indicater was red & shut down again - started up again to a red battery & threw it on the charger.  So did anyone ever figure it out... is it an HTC update or a faulty battery?

Journeyman

Journeyman

It is unbelievable all of the people having this problem. I went to 4 diffferent stores and they all acted like they never heard of the problem and tried the same thing trying to blame it on the battery.  Trying to get me to buy more things to fix it. One thing I know is my brothers did the same thing and his would do it when he use the factory installed telenav.  I never used it and had no problems. The first time I used it is the first time it did it to me. Every since it has got more frequent. Sprint tells you it is a software problem to unistall programs the problem is you can't uninstall that one because it is preinstalled. Eventurally everyone owning an EVO contracts will be up and they will upgrade then Sprint won't be responsible for replacing the faulty products/systems they sold. It inferiates me the most that they pretend that they are unaware of the problem and it is only me that has the issue so it must have been something I did. Ironically you can't call customer service because your phone won't stay on long enough to make it through all the prompts. You can't reset your phone to factory settings because it won't stay on long enough to do that. I'm pulling out my old phone using it until my contract is up and then leaving the network if they don't fix the problem soon. What I won't do is what you had to do and that is pay another dime when it is their responsiblity.  I understand you had no choice and I am in no way saying you did something wrong. What I am saying is you shouldn't have had to and the person at the store that lied and sold you the battery, well I guarantee you that is something they are told to do because quincidently all 4 stores I went into did the same thing. I said," that is interesting because my battery is fully charged when it happens. It does it after being plugged in.

Its always the battery:

The best one is when one sales associate said " it is like a glass of water if you fill it to much it flows over and the water pours out and that is what happens if you overcharge your battery it starts to lose its charge....hmmmmm must have been a physics major.

Journeyman

Update for everyone on my phone issues. I finally got a call back from HTC support. They agreed to send my phone back without any repairs and still claims it has nothing to do with the software. I have also purchased a new battery before i sent my phone out to HTC support and it did the same thing. So i was stuck having to buy a new phone with my available upgrade at best buy since they were the only one with the evo design in stock and it cost me $100 for the phone and $35 to activate. its a new phone and i assure you i am not doing any software updates on this for a long time. so i never got anywhere on this issue and waisted alot of my time. I am still upset with getting the run around from every vendor associated with this phone. But when i get my old phone back from HTC i am able to take it into sprint and do a buy back which i think is like $40 bucks. Hope you all have better luck than i did.

Journeyman

yeah i pulled the battery out and put it back in. But on wednsday im going to take it to a normal cell phone repair shop. I already called and gave them my phone type and they said that they can tell me what is wrong with my phone. Im going to go ahead and pay for the diagnostic and for them to fix it. because im tired of trying. This has been going on for about a month now.

GrandMaster

did you pull the battery first and then put it back in?

Journeyman

I looked online and tryed to do a factory reset on my phone. I followed the directions and all but when i got to the point where i was supposed to "scroll down" with the volume button. My phone wouldnt let me scroll and then it just cut off and i tryed this multiple times. I tryed the regular way to do it (by going to the settings, storage, and then clear storage) idk if they are the same or not which is why i was trying the other way but i did that a long time ago when my phone first stared acting crazy and that doesnt work either. So idk what the problem is.

GrandMaster

HTC has made some pretty decent strides battery life wise since the OG EVO days. batteries are unfortunatley NOT covered under warranty. technically thats a wear item..but i would still push for them to open it fully and show you the OTHER sticker...then you'll believe its had water damage. my OG EVO sticker shows its had water damage..yet the other sticker doesnt..

i forgot if you posted it already and theres WAY to much to go back through and read..but by chance have you done  a factory reset FR? it could always be something that happened along with the update. wouldnt be the first time a update didnt load correctly and messed something up a bit. try that first and then push towards the battery..normally batteries dont just up and croak on you (unless excess heat comes into play or the obvious water damage). or worse case scenario upgrade into a larger capacity extended battery like im running on my evo. it DOES make it slightly thicker (depending on how large you go) but the battery life is well worth it

Journeyman

Yeah i noticed that the red and white indicator on the top of my battery was still red and white. Everyone keeps telling me that the problem is that the battery doesnt last long in the evo's. They say if i just replace the battery then my phone will work fine. The sprint repair store said that since my battery is charging then its not the battery. But my phone will have a green light one second and then when i cut it back on and put the charger back in it (because thats the only way that i can get it to stay on) the battery is all the way down to 43% again. So it might be the battery. Im going to try replacing it as soon as i get some money. However, this is rediculous. My warranty should cover anything that goes wrong with the battery. But, because of some little tab on the outside of my phone they can consider it water damaged so that they dont have to do anything with it. This is bs. but whatever i guess people will cheat you all your life.